J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Sprayed down the MME today as it is 60 degrees today. Noticed a few chips in hood. Probably took a piece of rock salt or something. Also got dinged on the windshield, but that will be replaced with rebate.

I have had luck with automotivetouchup.com in the past when filling some chips on my Jaguar. I'd like to compare a few, can anyone recommend any other sources? I'll keep dr. color chip as one to look at also.

Oh, and I am just curious on the cost of the protective film. Guessing it has to be professionally applied. Can someone provide a ballpark of what this would cost? Hood, fenders roof.
Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Sprayed down the MME today as it is 60 degrees today. Noticed a few chips in hood. Probably took a piece of rock salt or something. Also got dinged on the windshield, but that will be replaced with rebate.

I have had luck with automotivetouchup.com in the past when filling some chips on my Jaguar. I'd like to compare a few, can anyone recommend any other sources? I'll keep dr. color chip as one to look at also.

Oh, and I am just curious on the cost of the protective film. Guessing it has to be professionally applied. Can someone provide a ballpark of what this would cost? Hood, fenders roof.
I'm getting quotes for the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and headlights at $2000 in the northeast. Not sure I want to drop that much, may just do hood for now.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems pricey, but I understand this is a lot of labor involved. I did apply ceramic coating back in the fall. It cleans well, but not sure it was meant to protect from stones. I am on Ford Option and will likely keep the MME for 3 years. I think a touch up and quick buff will keep it looking good for the next few years.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Seems pricey, but I understand this is a lot of labor involved. I did apply ceramic coating back in the fall. It cleans well, but not sure it was meant to protect from stones. I am on Ford Option and will likely keep the MME for 3 years. I think a touch up and quick buff will keep it looking good for the next few years.
Yeah, some people will tell you ceramic coatings protect from dings and scratches but they would be wrong. It really just helps with hydrophobic properties on the paint, along with some protection from chemicals and bird droppings. Over three years, that coating will keep your car looking good, just be careful of rock chips.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For those that installed PPF, did you go with the front coverage or full car coverage?
My PPF install is full front bumper, full hood, full front fenders, all wheel lip moldings, A pillars, mirrors, rocker panels, and rear bumper.

$5K for PPF, plus almost $2K for ceramic and the rest.

Last edited:

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Found paint for M7 (Carbonized Gray) at automotivetouchup.com so I ordered. I'll see how it does on the chips. Been pretty happy with their product to date.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I'll keep dr. color chip as one to look at also.
I’ve used them on my 4runner and it worked great. The ability to clean off anything excess above the paint level is great. Just don’t push too hard or you’ll just clean out the chip as well.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
For those that installed PPF, did you go with the front coverage or full car coverage?
We've done just full frontal protection on 4 cars now. The earliest, our 2017 Volt has held up well with just one chip down low that actually tore the ppf. I consider it SOP now whenever we get a new vehicle. That and Ceramic Pro for the rest of the paint which on the MY still looks fabulous 11 mo later.

I should mention that our full frontal 3M ppf runs ~$1100 here in central CA.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
...The windshield is even worse. After my first small (200 mile) road trip it looked like the outer surface of the windshield was sandpapered, plus nearly every drive I pick up another little chip in the glass.
I personally stay far behind other vehicles on the freeway using ACC and think it has contributed to no rock chips on my windshield in 11 mo of ownership. (Knock on wood.)

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you mean recall, the windshield only gets replaced if they break it.
Oh ya, just a reseal. No problem, no deductible on glass in MA. I'm guessing I can drop a hammer on it. Guessing Safelite will probably fix faster. Do I even need to send to dealer?

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve used them on my 4runner and it worked great. The ability to clean off anything excess above the paint level is great. Just don’t push too hard or you’ll just clean out the chip as well.
I apply with the end of a toothpick and then buff when dry. These chips are very small so I think they will disappear once shined up.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Oh ya, just a reseal. No problem, no deductible on glass in MA. I'm guessing I can drop a hammer on it. Guessing Safelite will probably fix faster. Do I even need to send to dealer?
If you have Safelite replace the windshield, you'll still be subject to the recall. You could just have the recall done at the dealer and hope they break it.

waterstm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E PE SR AWD
Country flag
I had XPEL PPF applied to the entire car for about $5K. Although it has provided my OCD self piece of mind, I hate thinking of the cost.