First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
My paint came in from automotivetouchup.com

Code M7 for Carbonized Gray Metallic. I plan to apply to chips (I only have a few) and buff after next wash. Maybe I'll post before/after.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Just hit 9000 miles, paint chips everywhere :( PXL_20220413_160359800.MP_2
Sponsored

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I've traded 5 cars within the last year, with no deductions for small dings or chips in the hood/front bumper and zero additional money given for PPF on the vehicle. I'm just sharing my input from my experience, but it could be because they used car market was so crazy that they didn't care? I'm contemplating PPF on my new GT500 because it is worth so much and blemishes could be more of a factor. Is it going to be worth $3k? Who knows...

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I've traded 5 cars within the last year, with no deductions for small dings or chips in the hood/front bumper and zero additional money given for PPF on the vehicle. I'm just sharing my input from my experience, but it could be because they used car market was so crazy that they didn't care? I'm contemplating PPF on my new GT500 because it is worth so much and blemishes could be more of a factor. Is it going to be worth $3k? Who knows...
...or just an easy fix for dealers who are going to have it detailed before sale anyway.
My guess is that dealers are giving you wholesale and selling it retail, which woul dbe a pretty good profit. Save latest used car effect.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
We're at a point where I made $4,000 selling a Volvo lease that was detailed regularly, had CQuartz 3.0, but some paint chips.

I'm not spending $3k on PPF. Also we're at a point where used cars prices are up 30-40%

I use the AMMO NYC method and use a Gold Label Fine Line Painting Pen, or if I'm in a rush, a syringe

That PPF ain't making much of a difference right now in this used car market. In a few years, sure - but right now, if it's got 4 wheels, people want it.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
That PPF ain't making much of a difference right now in this used car market. In a few years, sure - but right now, if it's got 4 wheels, people want it.
I don’t give a crap if it affects resale or not…a paint chip used to cut right to my soul every time I saw one while hand washing. I did the front end in PPF the second I got my GTPE…to save my sanity, and my eyesight as I use that same tool from Ammo to dab at a chip!

dwadj

First Name
Davy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2021 J2 Awd ER, Transit Custom Lim aut
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I've never had a car with so many paint chips in such a short while, there is clearly something off with the paint quality
Yea..
They are maybe using the same paint on the Alu hood as on the steel parts..
My MME's hood is also littered with stone chips, you can't avoid it, however on all the previous cars the stone chips were very small, on the MME the chips are much larger.
it looks like the paint does not adhere well enough to the surface (primer coat)
On white paint the chips are very visible.

I already asked Ford about this...
Answer is: You are driving to close to the vehicle in front of you.... 😂
Yea right !

Last edited:

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
My original thinking on this was the issue was overblown (the MME having delicate paint) but thought I was covered as I had the entire front end wrapped with PPF. Now at just under 20k miles I see the hood had at least 8 small chips. Pretty disappointed to say the least after spending the $$$ on full front PPF. My Pacifica PHEV with the same PPF (Suntek) had 0 chips on the hood and only a couple places where the film had been pierced after almost 50k miles. The road conditions appear to be the same, I generally try to stay a bit back from other vehicles, and the MME never made the long drive back to Texas unlike the Pacifica. When we received the MME order there were at least 12 paint issues all around the vehicle- it was in much worse shape than other cars we have purchased sitting on a lot.

The MME windshield also has quite a few chips, so could be a case of bad luck, odd aero, or just it's a delicate baby. I had our new C40 wrapped with XPEL so we will see if the results are any better, but i'll just assume the MME would be in much worse shape had the PPF not been there. Maybe... I would recommend 10mil film on the hood instead of the usual 8mil, interestingly the bumper is in better shape overall. YMMV- something to think about before dropping over $1k on film install.

Last edited:

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I think @Ford Motor Company did us a little dirty. The paint is exceptionally thin. I have "chips" on the fender.. in a place you'd not expect paint to come off. My wife's 2017 Lexus RX 350 (no PPF) has no chips and has higher mileage than I do. I have so many chips and tiny dents I don't know if I can get them all fixed without a major expense. I think job 1 cars were just not built as well as '22 or '23 MY. They've figured out a bunch of stuff. I'm just wondering if paint was one of them..

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have not noticed any more chipping than on my other cars. Seems the same to me.

It sucks getting dings and chips, but that is part of driving on the highway where dump trucks filled with dirt and rocks also drive. A few days ago I got behind a truck that smelled like it was full of barnyard waste. It was absolutely disgusting. And it got on my car. I threw up a little in my mouth. 😳
Sponsored