Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Decided that this post might be like my own mini-blog... After driving for a bit there are some things that I think would make my overall ownership experience that much better that shouldn't be too hard to implement through OTAs. So here's my wishlist... So far:

Mach-E Wishlist:
  • Charging: More charging detail and customization inside the car.
    • Display should show power draw (V, A, kwh) from whatever it's plugged into (average for the session and current), and estimated miles/hr of charge, in addition to estimated time to completion which is already shown
    • Ability to set an overall battery charge limit (I want to set it at 80% for all charging always, not have to set up each individual charger I use.
  • Cameras: Ability to choose which camera to see out of from the 360 camera: front, rear, D side, P side
    • Specifically a side camera so I (or another driver, ahem) doesn't curb the tires. My Infinity has had this option for over a decade, so seems easy to implement. Including a "Parking Line" for the side camera would be bonus!
  • Cosmetics: The car in the upper left should match the color of my car... I don't have a white Mach-E!
  • Diagnostics: Given all the trouble people are having with the 12V battery, I'd love some way to see what the charge of that battery is
  • FordPass: Send trip details to my phone to allow me to review at my leisure rather than forcing me to sit in the car and review.
    • Bonus: Allow "Journeys" to work on an iPhone without requiring a USB cable or disabling CarPlay
  • FordPass/Charging: pause a bit before determining ETA for charge. Iā€™ve plugged in with a 40amp circuit and been told it will take over 24 hours to charge from 20% to 80%. This then results in the car starting charging immediately as it estimates ā€œcharging wonā€™t be done in time!!!!ā€ Rather than using the charging schedule to take advantage of non-peak rates.
    FordPass Departing Time: I donā€™t always depart at the exact same time, especially on the weekend. Would like the ability to set an adhoc departure time that day (or any other day) with a simple menu. Useful for when I'm about to exit a store, etc (especially here in Phoenix in the summer)
  • Navigation: Needs improvement. Routed me in a ridiculous path to get to the store... Would have taken longer and also consumed more mileage/energy.
  • Navigation: When I enter a school zone on a weekend, don't drop the speed to the school zone speed when on intelligent cruise control... The car alerts me that I'm entering a school zone, but should also recognize that it's a Saturday and the school zone speed isn't in effect.
  • Convenience: allow customization of the child lock in the settings screen. Wow rate lock windows/restrict door opening. Choose to restrict for both back doors, only the left or only the right.
  • Convenience: allow me to long press the cruise control button to change the cruise control method. I don't always want the same cruise control (city vs freeway driving), but also don't want to dig through menus to change it.
  • Convenience/Comfort: Ability to precondition the car interior (scheduled departure conditioning) when not plugged in (cool the car down at 445p for a 5p departure from work)
    • Bonus: Add a slider in the options to allow selecting precondition cabin interior only when plugged in or always (provided there is battery)
  • Safety/Convenience: automatically unfold the side mirrors if my speed goes above a certain rate

-------
12FEB21:
Hooray! Have played around with the car for about an hour.

Initial impressions... first, it drives really well and is quite fun to drive. Looks really great, fit and finish seem to be pretty good. Relatively quiet on the road at 65 mph. For driving, itā€™s nice!

Second; the tech is a mess for me so far and has been incredibly frustrating: Screen lags quite a bit, FordPass App loading all my pre-done settings never worked (but still says I can do it), crashed setting up phone as key, phone connects, but not to the actual phone part (Iā€™ll have to play around with this, maybe user error?? Guess I just figured pairing the phone would pair the phone). Keyboard doesnā€™t come up when you need to type things in, no button to advance once youā€™ve typed something (found the ā€œEnterā€ button on the keyboard and used that). Iā€™ll play with it more tonight and tomorrow. Definitely going to take some getting used to on the tech side. itā€™s not super intuitive so far.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
A couple more days into it.... and have now finally gone far enough to start charging. Got down to 69% after 117 miles so figured Iā€™d test my wall charger (works!!?) and then head to downtown Gilbert and test a public charging station.
More impressions: car is still really fun to drive.... like REALLY fun. Started using One Pedal Drive and itā€™s taking some getting used to, still havenā€™t gotten the stopping down so itā€™s smooth. On the tech front, itā€™s just as glitchy as on day 1. Most of my issues actually seem tied to the phone. FordPass is a disaster. After saving my home as a location and setting up charge times and limits it just randomly disappeared. Deleted all of it. Went out to the garage and checked the car and everything was still loaded. Then I guess the app reconnected or something and reloaded the settings. FordPass app also doesnā€™t show all of the charging stations around (even after selecting all the options) even tho the car does. maybe Iā€™m doing this wrong but if anyone else can get the downtown Gilbert chargers to come up in the app Iā€™d like to know how. Alerted me about 3 hours after getting home that the car had arrived home. Just overall not a good app. For the car, the responsiveness is still pretty slow. I get the 3-dots-Iā€™m-thinking icon a lot more than Iā€™d like while going through menus. Also CarPlay doesnā€™t connect about 20% of the time and it seems like I always have to tell it to connect to CarPlay rather than just loading. Iā€™ll have to pay attention to how often.
Had our first uh-oh moment yesterday when the back lift gate wouldn't open. Not with the key fob, not with the app (Error! Lift Gate error!) not with the button. Got in the car and valet mode was on. Whoops. ā˜ŗ Lesson learned. Guess I hit it playing around.
Feature Iā€™m wishing for right now: more charging detail. Sitting here in the Gilbert garage and I have no idea how much power Iā€™m pulling, just an approximation of when it will be done charging. Iā€™d really just like a lot more detail. JuiceBox on my wall at home gives me the detail, wish the car would too.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Took the Mach-E out for a spin last night to go to the store. Chose a store 8 miles away, ha! I set the location in the Ford Navigation via the voice activation. It was fairly seamless. However, upon providing me the "optimal" path, I switched over to CarPlay. Living in PHX, everything is a giant grid... the store was 5 miles south and 3 miles east of me. Initially, the car told me to head west (I haven't a clue why, didn't zoom out to see, I just started driving the direction I knew to go). Once it figured out I was going to be driving east it re-calculated. I zoomed out to see where exactly it was telling me to go, as I was to turn on a street that wouldn't have been normal in any other GPS app. It was routing me all the way over to the freeway loop that encircles PHX, to then head south and back west.

Optimal path:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Just took delivery! And Wish List 1613758679718

Re-calculated path that Ford Navigation gave me once I started driving east:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Just took delivery! And Wish List 1613758618860

Really odd routing, and not sure why an EV would 1) want to put me on a freeway vs driving in the city and 2) drive more miles than necessary.

Also had a really wonky screen show up by holding the voice activated button (I'm used to an iPhone and holding the button to access Siri). It was the bluetooth connection screen superimposed with the select a phone screen. I really need to start taking pictures of these oddities.

Overall, finished the shopping trip and placed items in the front. I was planning on removing the divider to get more space for bigger things, but it actually came in REALLY handy in this case to stop items from rolling around like they would have without (or in the back).

Played around with the Intelligent Cruise. Very easy to use, and works really well. Found myself getting complacent and needing to remember I needed to actually tell it to stop at stoplights. Stoplight recognition is going to be amazing when implemented... the thing will basically drive itself in PHX given all of our straight roads (probably why we have SO many autonomous car companies testing here).

Also, I solved my problem with finding chargers in the app. I had selected Filters and then clicked all the options in order for it to show everything (at least in my mind... if I have all options selected, then everything will display). As noted, they are FILTERS (duh!), so it was only displaying those items that have a filter. The chargers near me in downtown don't belong to a network, so they only display if you turn all filters OFF. Just an FYI for others. Probably best to not actually set any filters when trying to find charging.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Forgot to mention. So far the range has been great. Trip to the store averaged over 4mi/kWh. Wife took the kids to school today so her trip is included here:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Just took delivery! And Wish List 1613759473411

So far for 200+ miles averaging 3.7mi/kWh:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Just took delivery! And Wish List 1613759510000

Finally plugged into home power last night and it was too easy. A lot faster than I thought as well... No issues, nothing odd, charged and did it's thing. Came out this morning and everything was off and ready to be unplugged. So far so good!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Just took delivery! And Wish List 1613759605221

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Great efficiency. What is the temps you are driving in? Seeing lots of cold weather ranges being reported. Would be nice to see warmer locations, too.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Great efficiency. What is the temps you are driving in? Seeing lots of cold weather ranges being reported. Would be nice to see warmer locations, too.
He is in Az, perfect temp right now for maximum milage.

Most likely 70 - 80 deg

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Between 45 and 75 right now. Early morning trips to school are in the 45 range. Commute home is 65-70ish. Wife prefers using the seat warmer vs heater so sheā€™s already predisposed to optimizing range! :)

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
This should help battery degradation. If I have all weekend to charge the car, it can go slow and steady for hours. For the sake of battery life I don't always want it drawing maximum amps from the charger all the time.
A level 2 charger is not going to charge it fast enough to matter. Battery degradation only really comes into the picture when you are doing DCFC

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
A level 2 charger is not going to charge it fast enough to matter. Battery degradation only really comes into the picture when you are doing DCFC
Thanks for this. I've removed that piece. :)
Sponsored