Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Looks like the fobs will have a button to unlock the front boot. This should help make access easier.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Key fob frunk access DD735D4B-C19F-427F-989E-392091C442F9

Pulled this from the video at:

While Phone as a Key will work for entering the cabin without pulling out the phone, opening the frunk would require (1) pulling out the phone, (2) activating/powering up the phone, (3) opening/selecting the app, (4) navigating to open the frunk. This could be difficult when laden with items to put in the frunk, particularly in bad or cold weather. Rather not drop my phone on the street. Sometimes a key fob in the pocket is a simpler/safer choice than a PaaK.

Tesla owners must have felt the same way because after all these years Tesla now offers a key fob as an accessory.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Oops. I guess autocorrect doesn’t like frunk.

Fixed.
Good thing. I've twice looked at this and wondered if they were installing blood alcohol sensors in the Mach E.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Just as an aside, if you have the foot activated liftgate for the rear, its really easy to access.
Agreed. I've used the the foot activated liftgate before and you are correct.

I am happy to see this frunk access button on the fob because the Tesla owners I know who are willing to speak honestly, complain that they don't use their front boot as often as they anticipated.....because of the awkward access.

They end up tossing bags across the driver's seat to the passenger seat [as we all have in our ICE vehicles]. Or they open a second door and throw the items in the back seat, because doing so is easier on the fly than maneuvering the phone to allow frunk access......or going inside to open the frunk through the main screen, then returning to the front of the car to put items in.

What seems like a great design idea on paper ends up being underused due to the inconvenient avenues of access. Hopefully Ford's choice will keep wet and muddy things out of the cabin and we'll have fewer groceries and take out orders rolling around or spilling over.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I like the FOB for access after being in the woods for a day or two. Often my phone is often dead by the time I get back. Then there's always the keypad on the door, which I've never had before so maybe I'll use that more.

Sometimes I do a one-way adventure and swap keys with a friend. I think the FOB is the best option for that.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Agreed. I've used the the foot activated liftgate before and you are correct.

I am happy to see this frunk access button on the fob because the Tesla owners I know who are willing to speak honestly, complain that they don't use their front boot as often as they anticipated.....because of the awkward access.

What seems like a great design idea on paper ends up being underused due to the inconvenient avenues of access. Hopefully Ford's choice will keep wet and muddy things out of the cabin and we'll have fewer groceries and take out orders rolling around or spilling over.
I'm not sure about the Tesla, but I may do the same in my Mach-E. The Frunk isn't within the envelope of the car interior. So it may get really hot or dusty while driving. Have to experiment before I trust my laptop bag in there.

On the other hand, if it does get hot, I know where to put the take out food before the commute home.

It will come in super handy for things like bags of fertilizer, dirt, or small children that smell.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag