Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
This is shown in several of the videos that came out in November. In a few, Ford explained that the footwell hood release was the only way to open the frunk on some of the preproduction cars, but that it would also support key fob and phone access options in production.

Also, there were a couple of idiots that sat in a prototype at the LA auto show and broke off the hood release lever (in the driver footwell area). After that, we've seen no further North American videos of people being allowed in the prototypes except when Ford employees were also present.
I am aware that it will be accessed through the key fob as well as the phone app and probably from within the cabin through the screen. However you suggested the frunk would also be accessible from the keypad on the B pillar. Can you point me to evidence that this is planned.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I am aware that it will be accessed through the key fob as well as the phone app and probably from within the cabin through the screen. However you suggested the frunk would also be accessible from the keypad on the B pillar. Can you point me to evidence that this is planned.
I don't think I said anything about the keypad or B pillar?

If you scroll to about 03:17 on the video at the top of this page, you'll see where Ron Heiser describes the three ways to access the frunk:

https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078

Ron Heiser, Chief Program Engineer, Mach-E:

In production, you'll be able to open the front trunk either with your phone or through the touchscreen. And then we have a mechanical backup, but here at the show, we only have the mechanical backup.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I like the FOB for access after being in the woods for a day or two. Often my phone is often dead by the time I get back. Then there's always the keypad on the door, which I've never had before so maybe I'll use that more.

Sometimes I do a one-way adventure and swap keys with a friend. I think the FOB is the best option for that.
I strongly recommend using that door keypad. Just program it with up to four sets of five numbers. I have read about beach goers and surfers that leave all their possesions in the car (glove or console boxes), close the door, and lock the car (pressing the 7-8 and 9-0 pads at the same time with two finger tips). Less items to carry and probably lose or get wet.

I use my keypad over the fob to save the fob cell charge. I also use it to get stuff from the trunk or from inside without getting the fob. My wife doesn't use the keypad.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
can we come with a better name than frunk?
Here are some suggestions:
FSS = Forward Storage Space
FCC = Front Cargo Carrier
EEB = Empty Engine Bay

Or just do what is natural calling it the forward or front trunk.
Anyway, we can create a new term for football parking activities: Nose Gating!
Rememeber me when using this among your gasser friends.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

If you scroll to about 03:17 on the video at the top of this page, you'll see where Ron Heiser describes the three ways to access the frunk:

https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078

Ron Heiser, Chief Program Engineer, Mach-E:
I do expect Ford to add the front trunk access through the keypad. It is simpler and faster than using the phone to look up that access and activating it. On my Fusion Hybrid, I just enter the fist five numbers to unlock, then press another to unlock the rear trunk (six one handed finger presses in three seconds). Adding a new number for the front trunk is just some new code.

Last edited:

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I hope you never lose your phone or lose the cell charge completely, or you will be left out and unable to drive the Mach-E or even get help. I lived over sixty years without a smart phone and learned to be independent, solving car problems by myself, so I can probabaly do better than you if that situation happens to me.

Try living without your phone for a week. If you cannot, you are addicted to it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Ironically, both you and @Raymondjram are correct. I carry my phone most all the time but will program the pillar and carry the FOB. Redundancy.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag

srogers said in message #26 in this thread that the frunk could be opened through the keypad on the door pillar.

I responded in message #27 asking where he had seen/read this.

You interjected in message #30, writing "This is shown in several of the videos that came out in November" after quoting quoting my message #27 asking for support for the contention that the frunk would be accessible from the keypad on the door pillar.

I presumed in message #30 that you were offering support for srogers statement in message #26.

In message #31, I mistakenly attributed srogers claim to you after you quoted my question to srogers then seemed to offer an answer that implied the frunk, keypad & pillar were addressed in videos from November.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
srogers said in message #26 in this thread that the frunk could be opened through the keypad on the door pillar.

I responded in message #27 asking where he had seen/read this.

You interjected in message #30, writing "This is shown in several of the videos that came out in November" after quoting quoting my message #27 asking for support for the contention that the frunk would be accessible from the keypad on the door pillar.

I presumed in message #30 that you were offering support for srogers statement in message #26.

In message #31, I mistakenly attributed srogers claim to you after you quoted my question to srogers then seemed to offer an answer that implied the frunk, keypad & pillar were addressed in videos from November.
OK, I see where I caused the confusion on the pronoun references. Sorry about that -- I've updated my reply to try to clarify this to future readers.

I still recommend checking out that Jalopnik post if you haven't seen it yet. David Tracy and Ron Heiser shared lots of cool powertrain and vehicle details.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
OK, I see where I caused the confusion on the pronoun references. Sorry about that -- I've updated my reply to try to clarify this to future readers.

I still recommend checking out that Jalopnik post if you haven't seen it yet. David Tracy and Ron Heiser shared lots of cool powertrain and vehicle details.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Key fob frunk access 1596305008628
Sponsored