Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
How does 10-80% SOC in 18 minutes sound? or 60 minutes or range added in 4.5 minutes? Both are with 350kW chargers. I do not know the difference with 150kW chargers or even the 62.5kW chargers popping up all over Michigan.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Now imagine all cars become electric each drawing 350kW from charger. Every city would have to build a nuclear power plant to provide enough juice for their charging.
I'm not sure I follow. Why would all cars be drawing 350kW at the same time? Do all cars fill up their gas tanks at the same time? If most cars do 30-40 miles per day, that'd be like 10-15 kWh top up overnight. A clothes dryer does about that much and no one is worried about doing laundry, are they?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I'm not sure I follow. Why would all cars be drawing 350kW at the same time? Do all cars fill up their gas tanks at the same time? If most cars do 30-40 miles per day, that'd be like 10-15 kWh top up overnight. A clothes dryer does about that much and no one is worried about doing laundry, are they?
A dryer draws under 5kW, and a car upto 350kW. Assuming an average 2kW/capita power generation it takes about 0.5% of them charging to double the power consumption. Worse, most people prefer travelling and charging at day time, when the power consumption is already high.
Power generation and distribution will be a very serious problem as the number of fast charging EVs grow. Building nuclear power plants along highways can be the best solution. And it actually can be the solution for hydrogen generation as well, the large trucks and semis aren't going to be battery powered obviously, they will need hydrogen.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
A dryer draws under 5kW, and a car upto 350kW. Assuming an average 2kW/capita power generation it takes about 0.5% of them charging to double the power consumption. Worse, most people prefer travelling and charging at day time, when the power consumption is already high.
Power generation and distribution will be a very serious problem as the number of fast charging EVs grow. Building nuclear power plants along highways can be the best solution. And it actually can be the solution for hydrogen generation as well, the large trucks and semis aren't going to be battery powered obviously, they will need hydrogen.
Yeah, I'm still not following. I mean, not to get into a deep dive about household laundry habits, but most people do a load of colors and a separate load of whites and it takes like an hour for each one to dry. There's your 10kWh and no one frets about doing laundry.

As for DC fast charging on the road, I don't think generation is a problem and certainly it's not insurmountable. Check out Jason Fenske's video on the issue that @generaltso posted. It's got some good information on there. Also check out this one narrated by Robert Llewelyn noting how each oil pump jack uses 10,000 kWh per month and there are hundreds of thousands of them in the USA.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Day time charging would actually be OK. As I understand it, the biggest power draw typically happens late in the afternoon in the summer when houses have cooked all day, the a/c’s are on, people are home from work doing laundry, etc. As opposed to the power draw at say 1:00 p.m.

I think the electrical transition will be slow enough that utilities will be able to compensate. If it will be necessary to extend some fossil fuel energy generation for a decade, I think they will do what they have to if it means supporting BEVs on the road.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I’m still surprised Ford didn’t go with an 800v architecture.
My understanding is that back in 2017 when the program was still in the compliance car mindset, they opted to use more affordable and common ≤400v stuff.

One trick Ford can use though is what GM does on the Hummer and switch the native 400v system to allow 800v charging. Wouldn't surprise me to see that on future Ford EVs.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Currently no other source than nuclear can provide a sufficient amount of energy comparable to fossil fuels. Politicians though do everything possible not to allow that. Nuclear resources are also limited, some argue only enough for a few decades at the rate needed.
Basically replacing fossil fuels is just a wishful thinking, it's not going to happen until the new technologies appear. US Energy administration expects predominant use of fossil fuels in the coming decades: https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/da...1-1-AEO2018~&map=&ctype=linechart&sourcekey=0

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Unfortunately nuclear power generation doesn't require near the diverse material, labor, transportation etc; that has the multitude of petroleum companies, transportation companies, refineries, drilling permits, and all the other ways politicians get their piece of the pie and their campaign coffers and friends and family government contracts and kickbacks, bribes etc. Why do you think all these politicians to include past presidents are all in the millionaire club after a few years in office?