Software Engineer
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That feels like the tipping point for uncompromised roadtrips, which then puts BEVs into mainstream acceptance (assuming the 350kw charging stations are plentiful and reliable).
Absolutely. Considering that the average dwell time at a road trip stop is between 10 - 15 minutes, then Ioniq 5 / EV6 charging speed + range fits right in.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I'm definitely very interested in both the EV6 and the Ioniq5, depending on whether some of the reports of low $40k starting price are accurate, and whether the "late 2021" US availability sticks. In fact, now that I know I don't need the extra range of the Mach E Route 1 despite how much I drive for work, it opens up going with a non-extended range version of our next BEV. I'd put my personal ranking for our second BEV in the sub $40k range (including the $7500 Fed and $3500 CA credits) at:

1. EV6
2. Ioniq 5
3. ID4
4. Bolt EUV

My wife's lease is up in late September, but we're taking a 2 week trip right after so wouldn't need to buy until mid October at the earliest (unless a screaming deal came along). If the EV6 and Ioniq5 are coming in early November we can maybe handle a few weeks with just one car, and I'd be willing to wait. Any significant delays and we'll likely be stuck with an ID4 or Bolt EUV... Which means my wife gets the Mach E as her daily driver since I'm the one forcing us to go electric ???

Although... Maybe I could talk her into a Mach E select since there seems to be many on lots in the Bay (or at least there were when I checked in early March before I grabbed my Route 1). No. No, I need to spread the EV love. Lol

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I'm definitely very interested in both the EV6 and the Ioniq5, depending on whether some of the reports of low $40k starting price are accurate, and whether the "late 2021" US availability sticks. In fact, now that I know I don't need the extra range of the Mach E Route 1 despite how much I drive for work, it opens up going with a non-extended range version of our next BEV. I'd put my personal ranking for our second BEV in the sub $40k range (including the $7500 Fed and $3500 CA credits)
This is probably another reason why I am still sitting in the fence over my GT reservation, had things gone as pre covid as Ford originally planned the GT would have already been order long ago and probably already sitting on my drive, all the delays has played into the hands of the competition.

However that is not to say that any of these will also no suffer launch delays, If I was to guess on the prices I would assume the KIA would potential be the one with the cheaper starting price of the trio, with the Hyundai in the middle there is also a Genesis variant the GV60 coming that has yet to be shown which will naturally be the most expensive.

You can currently reserve the EV6 in the UK, and that has a base price of £40,895 but that price will include vat (sales tax) so you need to remove that which is a rate of 20% so while you can't do a true apples to apples it would put it around $46k at current exchange rates so I could see it being in the low to mid 40k range. The UK reservation site also states deliveries around late October so suspect USA models are going to come in at a similar time frame. However with the current chip shortage problems who knows.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
You can currently reserve the EV6 in the UK, and that has a base price of £40,895 but that price will include vat (sales tax) so you need to remove that which is a rate of 20% so while you can't do a true apples to apples it would put it around $46k at current exchange rates so I could see it being in the low to mid 40k range. The UK reservation site also states deliveries around late October so suspect USA models are going to come in at a similar time frame. However with the current chip shortage problems who knows.
With the Ioniq5 I definitely wouldn't get it without the HUD/AR feature. Probably means a more expensive trim, which might pop it out of my price range.

Regardless, I'll be placing deposits on the EV6 and Ioniq5 on opening day in the US (assuming they'll be refundable).

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
With the Ioniq5 I definitely wouldn't get it without the HUD/AR feature. Probably means a more expensive trim, which might pop it out of my price range.

Regardless, I'll be placing deposits on the EV6 and Ioniq5 on opening day in the US (assuming they'll be refundable).
Agree on that front hopefully is is not bundled together as part of a more expensive package then again I liked the video of the Ioniq 5 where when you switch the turn signal on it puts up the camera view from mirror on the screen :)

The lack of hud on the mach-e is bit of an omission by Ford IMO, Ford have used the pop up screen plastic projection method (probably due to heated front windscreens) but when you can get it on Ford vehicles that have a much cheaper price point than the mach-e it really starts to make trims such as the premium become a lot less premium :(

If I am being honest I think ford have sort of fallen into the trap of trying to copy tesla a bit too much, where the other legacy manufactures have just carried on trying to offer the same as any other car in the range and just building on it by taking advantage if the packaging a BEV drivetrain allows.

Mind you VW omitted the HUD from the first round of USA bound id.4 along with the heat pump and the adaptive suspension, so maybe it will be as case of it all appearing later as options with the first round more about getting models out there.

When it comes to the mainstream brands the USA really gets shafted a lot of time with options compared to the rest of the world just not being available and I don't mean the obvious due to legacy legal rubbish that means we get woeful headlamps over here :( I have always classed my ford focus ST 3 as more of a ST 1.5 based on the amount that went missed compared to its European cousin :(

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I would be somewhat surprised if the EV6 or Ioniq 5 come to the US in 2021. The Korean twins have a lot to offer and the EV6 GT-line is particulary enticing but I'm guessing the US is out of luck this year.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I would be somewhat surprised if the EV6 or Ioniq 5 come to the US in 2021. The Korean twins have a lot to offer and the EV6 GT-line is particulary enticing but I'm guessing the US is out of luck this year.
The Ioniq 5 is supposed to be available for order in the later half of the year for the USA so agree people probably will have to wait till the start of 2022 to actually be be sitting in it. The unknown is the KIA at the moment but chances are it will follow the same schedule they could of course switch it up a bit based on popularity of styling, wont know until the pre orders open up but if the KIA's styling ends up more popular in USA vs EU they may divert more of the early production run to these shores.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
What are the practical implications of using a lower or higher voltage for the battery?
Higher voltage means lower electrical current for the same power. So you can get the same power from the battery or a DC fast charger at a lower current meaning thinner cable thickness. I read a Taycan article that says they saved 66 pounds of weight going to 800V system.

Lower electrical current also means less wasted energy as heat in the cables.

The 350 kW DC chargers for a 800V system would mean the electrical current is 368 amps (350kW divided by 950V charging voltage).

A Tesla DC charger is 250 kW at 450 V, I believe, so that is 555 amps. So it requires thicker cables and they will generate more losses due to heat at the higher current.

The main disadvantage is cost, since all components have to have a higher electrical rating. Although I believe it would be possible to make a system that is 800V for charging, by doing 2 400V battery packs in series, to take advantage of the faster charging. Even if the motors are not 800V. I think that is what some of the designs are doing.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The rear window of this Kia looks tiny, a little slit, along the lines of the tesla and jaguar. not a fan. the hyundai one has a more normal rear window.

Reactions: ARK

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The main disadvantage is cost, since all components have to have a higher electrical rating. Although I believe it would be possible to make a system that is 800V for charging, by doing 2 400V battery packs in series, to take advantage of the faster charging. Even if the motors are not 800V. I think that is what some of the designs are doing.
The series / parallel trick for charging is brilliant. GM is using this on their 400v Ultium packs to get 800v charging. With as much energy as will be needed for EV trucks, it might make sense for Ford to take this approach. Just wish it was on the MME.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Kia released more specs on the EV6 (see Car & Driver article). Looks very comparable to the Mach-E, but seems the base model will be significantly slower with only 167hp.
There are some really neat things about the EV6 such as V2L, Augmented Reality, and just like the MME there are lots of trim levels. What isn't clear to me is how crucial the charging speeds will be.

10%-80% in 18 minutes vs 40 minutes in the MME 4X. If the EPA ranges are the same then it's literally twice as fast to charge. How big of a deal is that? Personally, I think once 10% to 80% (200+ miles) gets to be about 30 minutes, the importance of charging speed drops.
Sponsored