Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Just adding this as a refresher for everyone and as something new owners should watch.

I even learned a few things, such as the two pedal override for the gear shifter.

While some of the things he says are slightly off, the majority of it is informational and correct. Of course, all different types of failures resulting in a tow or stuck charger will have different needs.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Great informative video

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Some good info, but he got a couple things wrong:
  • Jumping the bumper leads will only open the frunk if the 12V is dead, it will not recharge the 12V or allow you to enter the vehicle. Those leads are not connected to the 12V system, they only power the frunk release motor.
  • The 12V battery will not charge after a jump if the vehicle is experiencing a Stop Safely Now error from a failed HVBJB. It will continue to drain.
  • Emergency Tow Mode will not revert into park. It will stay in neutral with the vehicle turned off.
  • Despite what he says, the last two methods of placing in neutral probably won't work if the HVBJB has failed. Use Emergency Tow Mode on the screen.
  • The Mach-E requires 12V power to retract the park pawl and go into neutral. If the 12V battery is low or dead, it must be jumped before the vehicle can be put into neutral via Emergency Tow Mode.
  • Verify the parking brake is disengaged after placing the vehicle into neutral. I've seen people put the car in tow mode but forgot to shut off the parking brake.
The important things you need to know to help the tow driver are:
  • How to access the 12V battery
  • How to put the car in emergency tow mode (practice on your car)
  • Where to hook up the winch (in the front, not anywhere on the battery)
  • Remember the Mach-E can't be towed with the wheels on the ground

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Nice video. Now I know what to watch for if I ever need a tow. Did not know about the disconnect procedure for a stuck charging cable.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Nice video. Now I know what to watch for if I ever need a tow. Did not know about the disconnect procedure for a stuck charging cable.
If the charging cable is stuck because of melted pins, pulling that release cable won't do any good. The welded pins will be holding it together, not the latch lock. Prying tools will be required to remove the melted cable.

The lock mechanism is not used for Level 1/2 cables (only DCFC), so likewise pulling the release cable won't do any good if you have a stuck Level 1/2 charger.

All the stuck cable incidents on the Mach-E were because of melted pins or a broken/stuck J1772 latch. All required something like a flat screwdriver to lift the latch or pry the cable out of the socket.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Some good info, but he got a couple things wrong:
  • Jumping the bumper leads will only open the frunk if the 12V is dead, it will not recharge the 12V or allow you to enter the vehicle. Those leads are not connected to the 12V system, they only power the frunk release motor.
  • The 12V battery will not charge after a jump if the vehicle is experiencing a Stop Safely Now error from a failed HVBJB. It will continue to drain.
  • Emergency Tow Mode will not revert into park. It will stay in neutral with the vehicle turned off.
  • Despite what he says, the last two methods of placing in neutral probably won't work if the HVBJB has failed. Use Emergency Tow Mode on the screen.
  • The Mach-E requires 12V power to retract the park pawl and go into neutral. If the 12V battery is low or dead, it must be jumped before the vehicle can be put into neutral via Emergency Tow Mode.
  • Verify the parking brake is disengaged after placing the vehicle into neutral. I've seen people put the car in tow mode but forgot to shut off the parking brake.
The important things you need to know to help the tow driver are:
  • How to access the 12V battery
  • How to put the car in emergency tow mode (practice on your car)
  • Where to hook up the winch (in the front, not anywhere on the battery)
  • Remember the Mach-E can't be towed with the wheels on the ground
I think we have a different definition of a couple haha

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
Great stuff. I got stickers to put at winch points and hack points (still have to put them on).

Question: for a car wash, you should put into emergency tow mode as well or will just putting it into neutral and pressing L work?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Question: for a car wash, you should put into emergency tow mode as well or will just putting it into neutral and pressing L work?
N and L or disable hold and just use N without L (I prefer the later). Do not use tow mode!

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
N and L or disable hold and just use N without L (I prefer the later). Do not use tow mode!
Thanks. And turn off 1 pedal driving as well?

Why is there a car wash mode on the screen. I feel like we need the software to get smarter as people adopt ev’s and don’t know the differences yet

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Thanks. And turn off 1 pedal driving as well?
You can leave 1PD on. I won't stop the wheels from rolling in N. Stop and hold will however, that's why I leave it disabled.

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
You can leave 1PD on. I won't stop the wheels from rolling in N. Stop and hold will however, that's why I leave it disabled.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense. And agreed on auto hold - not necessary with 1PD.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I can see that my "tow" stickers in the front will not be adequate... are there any known problems with taping over the holes in the battery rails?
Sponsored