Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Convertible, 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ford's engineers and management gave it some serious thought and came up with a reasonable solution to turn on the brake lights when appropriate and otherwise leave them off. I'm sure they didn't decide in a vacuum and they also studied other cars with one pedal mode.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Nissan Rogue, Future Infinite Blue Mach E
Country flag
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ford's engineers and management gave it some serious thought and came up with a reasonable solution to turn on the brake lights when appropriate and otherwise leave them off. I'm sure they didn't decide in a vacuum and they also studied other cars with one pedal mode.
They did say that whether you use the brakes or 1 pedal the regen is still working so im assuming the 1 pedal is linked with the same circuit as the brakes. Most likely if the accelerator is released past a certain threshold the lights come on.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Nissan Rogue, Future Infinite Blue Mach E
Country flag
I like watching him. Watched it last week. He doesnt explain the lights but it would make sense that it works like i mentioned above by the way he explains it. Plus he drives a Tesla so he knows how it works on his car.

MailGuy

Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
They did say that whether you use the brakes or 1 pedal the regen is still working so im assuming the 1 pedal is linked with the same circuit as the brakes. Most likely if the accelerator is released past a certain threshold the lights come on.
Regen isn't some separate system that engages and disengages. It's always there. Regen is simply the car drawing energy off the motor and putting it back into the battery rather than applying energy to the motor to propel you forward. From a driving and engineering point of view, the brake pedal, caliper and rotors work the same as on any other car where the computer is controlling the hydraulics, think ABS and ESC. There's been a computer between you and your rotors for years now. The EV difference is the computer simply decides how much current to draw off the motor to achieve the desired deceleration and/if when the hydraulics should be engaged to have the caliper squeeze the rotor for additional stopping power.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV and 2016 Nissan LEAF, MME First Edition on order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This is a very detailed look at how regenerative braking works:
Hybrid and EV Regenerative Braking Systems
He has all of the components on a test bench opened up, he goes into great detail and demonstrates the workings very clearly.
0:00 Introduction
Components involved at 0:50
Motor Rotor at 1:25
Motor Stator at 1:56
Stator connections at 2:15
Electromagnetic induction example #1 at 3:40
Electromagnetic induction example #2 at 5:19
PicoScope oscilloscope 3-phase stator output measurement at 6:20
PicoScope oscilloscope 3-phase stator output waveform interpretation at 8:50
MUST SEE! Electric motor loading (braking) example at 12:15
MUST SEE! Letting the smoke out at 14:10
Regenerative braking electrical/mechanical summary at 14:40
Transmission shifter "B" Braking position at 17:30
Negative torque at 18:28
MUST SEE! MG1 driving MG2 with 3-phase induced voltages at 19:39
The reverse motor rotation at 22:00
Low voltage efficiencies at 22:45
Video summary at 23:49

timbop

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Convertible, 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
He has all of the components on a test bench opened up, he goes into great detail and demonstrates the workings very clearly.
That guy is clearly skilled at teaching. Thanks for posting!

Kamuelaflyer

Reaction score
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
Thanks! :)

MailGuy

Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
His tear down on the Bolt battery and motor are also awesome views. Search weber state <insert car> you’ll find a lot worth watching.

The MachE motors are similar to the Bolt in that the drive axles go through the motors.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
If you can't tell whether the car in front is stopped then in my opinion you shouldn't be driving
Well that sure rules out lots of American drivers!

I was rear-ended sitting at a stale stoplight, brake applied, and in the dark (so brake lights really obvious). For the oblivious, nothing is enough. Brakes lights while slowing or stopped using regeneration or one-pedal-driving? Please!

zhackwyatt

Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max
Country flag
If you can't tell whether the car in front is stopped then in my opinion you shouldn't be driving
I don't think that is fair at all. Especially at night driving on the freeway there are tons of red lights in front of you. And it is sometimes hard to tell if the car is stopped or not due to less depth perception at night. Which is why I really like the 3rd brake light.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric, Ford C-Max Energi, 1999 F250 PSD, 2000 F250 PSD, 1968 GTO, 1955 Bel Air
Occupation
Managet
Country flag
Yes. You will get smoother instantaneous transfer of forward acceleration to braking without the corresponding rev in RPM's. The motor and car will both actually slow down creating an immediate deceleration force that can seamlessly transition to full forward acceleration just by moving your foot in the other direction. Think of it like driving a go-kart without brakes.

It won't be limited to unbridle either. You'll get the same feeling in all modes I would expect, just to varying degrees.
Yes. It is pretty much the same in all mode with 1 pedal turned on. If you get the vehicle up to speed and it's safe to do so.....you can turn off 1 pedal mode and take your foot off the accelerator and then toggle between the 3 "experiences" to gauge the level of regen. It's fairly dramatic. Unbridled is the most aggresive. Whisper is practically nothing and Engage is somewhere between.

Engage mode with 1 pedal off is most like my Focus Electric in D.
Unbridled with 1 pedal off is most like my Focus Electric in L.
Whisper is unlike any setting that am aware of to date.

I can't imagine spirited driving in the twisties in any other setting but 1 pedal Unbridled. The way this car handles corners is amazing.....especially increasing radius corners.....so fun!

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicles
Prior--Nissan Leaf, Now--Bolt EV Premier, On order--Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
About four years ago, I got my Bolt EV. For the two or three months before the release of the Bolt and the two or three months after the release, one of the most common discussions on the Bolt Owners/Interested Facebook page was almost identical to the discussion in this thread. Then, for the next two years, new members of the Facebook page would ask the same questions and the hypothesizing would start all over again. Turns out there were objective answers to all of the questions about regen, one pedal driving, brake lights with one pedal driving, etc. There will also be objective answers to these questions for the Mach-E. Maybe these answers will be provided prior to release of the Mach-E or maybe will not be known until after the release, but they will be known (hopefully soon). Maybe the answers for the Mach-E will be the same as for the Bolt, maybe not. In the meantime, it is interesting to watch the same hypothesizing that occurred around the release of the Bolt. I predict with a high level of confidence that the hypothesizing and inquiries will continue long after the actual answers are known for the Mach-E. It would be helpful if Ford were to provide the objective answers to these relatively straightforward questions to give us something more to KNOW prior to release.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Well we now know this much so far:
Within each mode you can turn on and off 1PD, lights, and sounds. So far I see no other options.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 10.26.41 PM.png

Advertisement