Ron
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Meanwhile, at Brand T:

https://electrek.co/2020/10/27/tesla-removes-regenerative-braking-strenght-option-new-cars/

Tesla mysteriously removes regenerative braking strength option in new cars
Fred Lambert
- Oct. 27th 2020 1:30 pm ET

@FredericLambert

Tesla-regen-braking.jpg

Tesla has mysteriously removed the option for drivers to control the strength of the regenerative braking capacity for new cars.
The reason behind the change is not clear.

Regenerative Braking
Regenerative braking, which uses an electric vehicle’s electric motor to convert kinetic energy into electricity to charge the battery pack while slowing down the vehicle, is a flagship feature of electric cars.
It’s one of many features that makes them more efficient than cars with combustion engines and it also results in less wear on your brakes.
However, it comes with a learning curve to get use to it, especially for people who have never driven a manual transmission since downshifting has a similar feel to regenerative braking.
Most electric cars offer a solution to this learning curve by making different “strengths” of regenerative braking available in order to ease people into using the feature.
Depending on the strength, electric cars slow down more or less aggressively with regen braking when the driver lets go of the accelerator pedal.
With an electric car equipped with a powerful regen braking system, an experienced EV driver can basically do what is called “one-pedal driving” and only use the accelerator pedal.
Tesla’s Regen Braking
Tesla had one of the most simple regen braking settings: standard and low. That’s it.
However, new Tesla buyers are now reporting that the automaker has removed the option of choosing the regenerative braking strength.
Owners of new Tesla vehicles built in the last few months are reporting on the forums (Reddit and TMC) that they don’t see the option in the settings anymore and some of them are being told by Tesla service centers that it is not a bug.
Tesla is now delivering new cars with the regen strength being standard without the option to put it to ‘low’.
The automaker is not taking away the option for vehicles who had it before even with the latest software updates.

It appears to only affect new vehicles delivered since around June 2020.
As usual, it’s hard to get official information from Tesla on the change since the automaker doesn’t have official press communications anymore.
Electrek’s Take
This is a strange move. The standard setting is definitely more efficient and most people should just try to get used to it.
However, the low setting was useful for first-time electric vehicle owners and some people also preferred the setting when driving in the snow or other bad conditions.
Living in Quebec, I’ve driven Tesla vehicles in plenty of icy and snowy conditions and never felt the need to put regen braking in low, but I use good winter tires, which I think is the thing that makes the single greatest difference for safe winter driving.
But I do understand why someone would want less aggressive regen braking on a slippery road.
I don’t see why Tesla would not want to give drivers the option to use it as long as you understand its impact on efficiency.
What do you think? Let us know in the comment section below.
I think to get a little range boost Tesla needed to run EPA range tests in "standard" regen mode. EPA likely countered and said, "All your customers drive in low. Eliminate low if you want the higher range rating." Magically, low disappeared...

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Makes sense @RonTCat. Range is the name of the sales game atm so ...
Yep. Regulations make you choose a drive mode for testing, and while it never specifies which mode you choose, the intent and spirit of the law says it must be the most popular mode. Musk can taunt the SEC, but EPA don't play that game. They bring the hammer, and it hurts. Ask VW.

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
Yep. Regulations make you choose a drive mode for testing, and while it never specifies which mode you choose, the intent and spirit of the law says it must be the most popular mode. Musk can taunt the SEC, but EPA don't play that game. They bring the hammer, and it hurts. Ask VW.
Governmental Agencies of all levels and sorts, particularly those with enforcement responsibilities, take a dim view of fraud and coverups. Go figure. As you said, ask VW. Or Boeing.

It's hard to make orange to clementine comparisons when someone is slipping in a mango. Uniformity in testing is sort of a good thing.

zhackwyatt

Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved: '21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Current: '13 Ruby Red C-Max SEL Former: '98 OxfWhite Explorer XLT
Country flag
I think to get a little range boost Tesla needed to run EPA range tests in "standard" regen mode. EPA likely countered and said, "All your customers drive in low. Eliminate low if you want the higher range rating." Magically, low disappeared...
Isn't the extra regen purported to give more range?

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Escape Titanium, 2021 Mustang Mach-E FE (Red)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One would assume. City range, anyway (which is effectively what EPA range is). Regen doesn't do a thing for highway range (where range really matters) unless there's steep grades involved.

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
Yes and I think that's the problem. You can choose the mode you test in but it's supposed to be the mode most people use apparently. In this case, it wasn't. Problem solved by taking away the lighter regen mode.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I think the problem I'd in Teslas you only get Regen from one pedal mode, not from applying the brake.

That's not true in the MME. The brake will Regen and mix in the mechanical brake as needed.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I wonder if that means the Mach-E range will be based on the Whisper mode with min regen. Supposedly Engage is the “default” mode but would have a big impact if EPA said they had to do it in Whisper instead.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Well that’s what he’s saying, there used to be a low regen setting and that was removed, leaving only the standard option which would raise range estimates both for customers and certifications

hybrid2bev

Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 C-Max Hybrid, 2020 Explorer ST
Country flag
His tear down on the Bolt battery and motor are also awesome views. Search weber state <insert car> you’ll find a lot worth watching.

The MachE motors are similar to the Bolt in that the drive axles go through the motors.
He posted a great summary video today on how EVs work. The Bolt hardware is not exactly the same as the Mach-E, but the process and components are very similar. It’s a good watch!

Advertisement