OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
A lot of newbies will get worse efficiency in one pedal or strong regen modes because they aren’t coasting enough and/or having to accelerate after braking too much.
Sponsored

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Curious, do electric cars with one-pedal driving automatically turn on the brake light when slowing down, or does it only initiate when using the brake pedal?
that’s a super cool and insightful question

JochemvRaak

First Name
Jochem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Kadjar
Occupation
Sales Manager
Country flag
It annoys me that they always mention the ambient light, since the select model does not have it. What a shame. :confused:
Are we sure it does NOT have the ambient lighting for drive modes? Other European models have it also standard.

Zandje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat GTE, MME AWD TP+ Lucid Red (2021)
Country flag
Are we sure it does NOT have the ambient lighting for drive modes? Other European models have it also standard.
The RWD models in Europe do not have the multi-color ambient lighting either

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
The RWD models in Europe do not have the multi-color ambient lighting either
And you know that HOW? I have not seen anything to say that they haven't.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
In the official brochure I've got from Ford, it says that ambient lightning is on the AWD model. It could be included in a technology package but theres no ambient lightning mentioned.
Interesting that you have a "brochure". All my efforts to get one have failed with only what is on the website available. FordUK have said that there isn't a hard copy available. Perhaps you could scan it and post on here for us to look at

Zandje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat GTE, MME AWD TP+ Lucid Red (2021)
Country flag
Interesting that you have a "brochure". All my efforts to get one have failed with only what is on the website available. FordUK have said that there isn't a hard copy available. Perhaps you could scan it and post on here for us to look at
It is in the price lists for example in Netherlands and Germany. But saw it was not mentioned in the UK pricelist as an item.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yes ... but.

If you listen to what Darren says, all three driving modes are similarly efficient. There may be some slight imperceptible difference. However, the driving modes tend to encourage different driving styles that may lead to differences.

For example, they have said the acceleration mapping in Whisper is much more gentle than in Unbridled. Whisper will tend to encourage sedate driving. In contrast, the immediate response of the accelerator to the pedal movement in Unbridled will tend to make you want that horse to run. That will be less efficient than the sedate driving in Whisper.
Sure; I'd bet the meaning is that all three modes are designed to be equally efficient from the engineering perspective. Thus if you drive the three the same you'll get the same range out of the car.

As pointed out by you, and others, however, the different "experiences" will tend to entice different driving "styles" some more aggressive than others which may have a larger affect on the overall efficiency than any design decisions in the car.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
It is in the price lists for example in Netherlands and Germany. But saw it was not mentioned in the UK pricelist as an item.
I suppose that makes sense. For some reason all the markets that Ford are selling this car in ALL have different versions and standards. Talk about confusing. Just hope that they get the spec right on the production line. I thought the ambient lighting was incorporated in the driving modes but have just looked on the US spec sheet I have and the Premium and FE have it listed but not Select/CAL R1. Ambient lighting is NOT listed on ANY of the UK versions according to the specs so it is either included in all or none have it. It sounds to me like it could be pot luck. Still not a deal breaker as far as I am concerned

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Curious, do electric cars with one-pedal driving automatically turn on the brake light when slowing down, or does it only initiate when using the brake pedal?
Tesla and Bolts do. I always assumed it was regulated.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
This is good news. I had been nervous that 1-Pedal Drive was going to be something you had to toggle in each key cycle. I'm glad I can lock it into 1-Pedal mode forever.

I also like that the Unbridled center display shows the actual battery %.

I was 99% sure I'd be driving in Unbridled (sound off!!!!!) before this, but now it's all but confirmed.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Interesting, didn't think about a manual so I guess it isn't as bad as it sounds. We know the Mach-e will use the friction brakes to hold, so presumably the tail lights will be on. In fact current Ford cars, including Mach-E I think, has an auto hold. I tried it test driving an Explorer. Basically, once you brake and come to a complete stop, you can take your foot off the brake and the car will just keep you there. Awesome for the long drive-thru line at Raising Cane's. I think the Mach-E will have that option if you don't use 1-pedal, and I guess there really isn't a reason to not have it if you are using 1-pedal.
Yeah I think that's part of how our experiences drive the expectations.

I've never been a fan of automatics, and I came out of a manual into my Model 3, so the "engine braking" lift off seemed perfectly natural - as did the fact that you can override the Auto Hold and get the thing to roll backwards on hills/driveways if you feather the accelerator.

For someone used to an automatic, 1-Pedal will be a learning curve.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suppose that makes sense. For some reason all the markets that Ford are selling this car in ALL have different versions and standards. Talk about confusing. Just hope that they get the spec right on the production line. I thought the ambient lighting was incorporated in the driving modes but have just looked on the US spec sheet I have and the Premium and FE have it listed but not Select/CAL R1. Ambient lighting is NOT listed on ANY of the UK versions according to the specs so it is either included in all or none have it. It sounds to me like it could be pot luck. Still not a deal breaker as far as I am concerned
Looking at the Ford UK site, it seems like they have patterned the RWD after what would be called the "Select RWD" here in the US, and the AWD is is patterned after the "Premium AWD" here in the US. The wheels, roof, etc are identical to those models. Since it is likely that Ford wouldn't want to change more things than it had to when building the models for the UK vs elsewhere, it is logical that the UK AWD cars would have the same interior (including cabin lighting) as the "Premiums". What is more likely is that the UK website designer either didn't have the full feature list or simply missed putting it on the site.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm relieved to see that Whisper mode is the equivalent to Chill mode in a Tesla. My wife really doesn't appreciate hard accelerations so this will likely be her default setting but with the sound on for auditory feedback (hopefully we can turn the sound back on in Whisper).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And when you do, it burns more juice. But if you baby it in Unbridled, it the same result as Whisper.
Yeah. Likes that's gonna happen ?
Sponsored