zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I think to get a little range boost Tesla needed to run EPA range tests in "standard" regen mode. EPA likely countered and said, "All your customers drive in low. Eliminate low if you want the higher range rating." Magically, low disappeared...
Isn't the extra regen purported to give more range?
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One would assume. City range, anyway (which is effectively what EPA range is). Regen doesn't do a thing for highway range (where range really matters) unless there's steep grades involved.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yes and I think that's the problem. You can choose the mode you test in but it's supposed to be the mode most people use apparently. In this case, it wasn't. Problem solved by taking away the lighter regen mode.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I think the problem I'd in Teslas you only get Regen from one pedal mode, not from applying the brake.

That's not true in the MME. The brake will Regen and mix in the mechanical brake as needed.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I think to get a little range boost Tesla needed to run EPA range tests in "standard" regen mode. EPA likely countered and said, "All your customers drive in low. Eliminate low if you want the higher range rating." Magically, low disappeared...
I wonder if that means the Mach-E range will be based on the Whisper mode with min regen. Supposedly Engage is the “default” mode but would have a big impact if EPA said they had to do it in Whisper instead.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Well that’s what he’s saying, there used to be a low regen setting and that was removed, leaving only the standard option which would raise range estimates both for customers and certifications

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
His tear down on the Bolt battery and motor are also awesome views. Search weber state <insert car> you’ll find a lot worth watching.

The MachE motors are similar to the Bolt in that the drive axles go through the motors.
He posted a great summary video today on how EVs work. The Bolt hardware is not exactly the same as the Mach-E, but the process and components are very similar. It’s a good watch!

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
would be nice to adjust all parameters but would really like to adjust OPD. I would like it max no matter the mode.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
After 700+ miles of test driving I finally tried out the OPD mode this morning. Backing out of my driveway it felt like the parking brake was still on. However, I quickly adjusted to it and after a few miles driving around town I was liking it! Wife hates it!! Lol

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After 700+ miles of test driving I finally tried out the OPD mode this morning. Backing out of my driveway it felt like the parking brake was still on. However, I quickly adjusted to it and after a few miles driving around town I was liking it! Wife hates it!! Lol
It's a whole different experience for the passenger than the driver. If you haven't already, try swapping roles for a bit to experience both sides.

Reactions: ARK

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
It's a whole different experience for the passenger than the driver. If you haven't already, try swapping roles for a bit to experience both sides.
Or go solo until you perfect it

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or go solo until you perfect it
Sure, but the problem is what the driver thinks is perfected often isn't perfected, as felt from the passenger seat instead.

It always feels better from the driver seat because the driver subconsciously braces for the actions they're taking.
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK