SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I got a beta version of Forscan yesterday and I can confirm it does read all the obd data for the Mach-E.

Last night my car was sitting at 342volts. I think this info can really help figure out the charging curve.

20210306_232606.jpg
I can't wait until FORScan works! I bought an OBDII adapter just for geeking about about all the Mach-E stats while charging only to find FORScan doesn't identify my Mach-E yet :(

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I can't wait until FORScan works! I bought an OBDII adapter just for geeking about about all the Mach-E stats while charging only to find FORScan doesn't identify my Mach-E yet :(
If you join their forum you can request the current version. They just want to make sure you read all the warnings and release notes. They had too many people bricking modules in their vehicles to keep it public.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
Someone needs to think again about a product with the name "FORScan." Because I'm still a teenaged boy in my mind and I'm snickering (and now, so are you).

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
It's an interesting test. If I can get enough driving in today, I might do a 20 to 80 test or a 10 to 80 test. I'm near the Lakewood charger that he used, so I'll try to even use the same one. If I do, I'll record it and put it up on YouTube.
I tried it. On my recent trip to the coast I arrived at EA station with 150kw capacity.
Started at 24% and ended at 80% within 31 min.
Charge rates neared 149kw. Anything above 80% and the rate of charge dropped down to 13kw.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What we DON'T know is if Audi made a bad decision longterm for the battery's health and safety. There's a korean carmaker that might be regretting how aggressive their approach was.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
What we DON'T know is if Audi made a bad decision longterm for the battery's health and safety. There's a korean carmaker that might be regretting how aggressive their approach was.
We don't know if the Korean (KIA) made a mistake is correct. What we do know is the warranty states no more than a 30% degradation in 8 years. If it degrades 25% with an aggressive approach while the conservative approach only degrades 10%, neither manufacture is going to have a warranty issue. Won't have an answer for five+ years or so.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Well we know a Korean carmaker that wishes their battery cell supplier had correctly manufactured their cells... nothing in the Hyundai/Kia recall has anything to do with the charge curve.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Even the VW has more of a similar chart to the Audi, but the Mach E pack is brand new. Even if they tested 500 packs before release, that's still too few to know what rates to use after 80%. Tesla has been changing software to improve their charging for about 9 years already, so they have a lot of data to review. But it took a few years and a burned up car at a Supercharger in I think Norway before being more serious about it. I would say Ford wants to avoid the burned car scenario.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Agreed. Maybe it's my natural pessimism kicking in, but I'm not very hopeful that Ford will change the time to 80% for the MME. I just don't think they feel the need to. I *really* hope I'm wrong about this because the Mach-E is brilliant and it appears it could shave another 5+ minutes off the clock and still leave room for faster charging after 80%.

Without a charging speed improvement, GT/GTPE owners are gonna be left behind sucking on electrons for awhile longer.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
So... I didn't get to do the test I mentioned earlier in this thread like I wanted. I pulled into the exact same charger that Kyle used in his video at 13%. I figured I would time how fast it too to go 13 to 80%. Unfortunately, the charging session had an error at 7 minutes. I tried again and it errored at 2 minutes. I called EA and they rebooted the station remotely, but then it didn't recognize my account. I ended up moving to another station, but it was on 150kW. Unfortunately, that one errored out at 10 minutes. I just decided to give up (a luxury I won't have on a road trip) and went home to charge.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So... I didn't get to do the test I mentioned earlier in this thread like I wanted. I pulled into the exact same charger that Kyle used in his video at 13%. I figured I would time how fast it too to go 13 to 80%. Unfortunately, the charging session had an error at 7 minutes. I tried again and it errored at 2 minutes. I called EA and they rebooted the station remotely, but then it didn't recognize my account. I ended up moving to another station, but it was on 150kW. Unfortunately, that one errored out at 10 minutes. I just decided to give up (a luxury I won't have on a road trip) and went home to charge.
It's frustrating the errors keep happening. I am not sure at what point it's a deal breaker for some people.

I.Adams

First Name
Ingo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mondeo 2.0l 145HP
Occupation
Managing Design Engineer & IWI
Country flag
I think, that this test isn't representative. Charging with an AC-HPC-charger means to charge between 20-80%. FORD Germany told me, that the charging curve is under observation and will be corrected via OTA if necessary.

The other issue is, that the Mustang hase (THANKS GOD!) a thermal battery management.

AC-Charging from 0-100% is a case that will never happend, so this test doesn't make any sense.

AC-Charging curves wile using the thermal management will be more interesting for us.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Do we know for a fact that the thermal management and cooling system in the Mach E cannot handle a better charging curve as is, and that Ford is just being conservative at the outset? I think it is too early to make that conclusion.

Well we know a Korean carmaker that wishes their battery cell supplier had correctly manufactured their cells... nothing in the Hyundai/Kia recall has anything to do with the charge curve.
Actually, they are pointing the finger at each other.

The press releases on the new Ioniq cars seem to also indicate a fairly aggressive and fast charge curve. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as they come into production.