Blue PonyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Montana, 2016 Leaf, 2021 First Edition
Country flag
Took an extended trip from Seattle to Portland yesterday in our FE. Trip down went well, stopped halfway for a breakfast sandwich and a quick charge at the 50 Kw EVGo station in Chehalis. Had no issues with the plug-in and payment. Finished our Portland trip and grabbed a burger and went to an EV4 Oregon station at SE Raymond and found the 25Kw station was Free!

Finished lunch then headed back north since the rate was not fast charger. Had enough charge to make it to Woodland charger. Pulled in and it was unfortunately occupied. Figured out we could make the Kelso Three Rivers Mall Electrify America site. Pulled in with 16% charge left and there were four stations A BMW I3 was there and having difficulty getting charged, but eventually found a live one. Plugged in but charger would not recognize the ME. Tried nine times with different stations but no luck. Called support number and spoke with Joshua. Asked about Ford pass issue but I said I would be happy to pay just to get home. He said sorry for trouble and reset the whole station then initiated charging on his end. It worked until it got to about for about 15 minutes for 36% charge then quit. Tried connecting again but no luck, called back and spoke to Dillon. He said he saw we had just had an issue and reset the charging station and initiated charging on his end. He said there would be no cost this time and we could stay and charge as long as needed. Sounded great, but that lasted until we noticed the station was idling with about 60% charge. After spending about 1.75 hours, figured that would get us home. Made it home with about 15 miles to spare.

Takeaway: Mach E is a great drive,
Charging with EA and Ford Pass is going to be the Achilles heel to failure unless Ford and EA can get this infrastructure to work.
Going to be on the phone to Ford Pass tech support today.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Took an extended trip from Seattle to Portland yesterday in our FE. Trip down went well, stopped halfway for a breakfast sandwich and a quick charge at the 50 Kw EVGo station in Chehalis. Had no issues with the plug-in and payment. Finished our Portland trip and grabbed a burger and went to an EV4 Oregon station at SE Raymond and found the 25Kw station was Free!

Finished lunch then headed back north since the rate was not fast charger. Had enough charge to make it to Woodland charger. Pulled in and it was unfortunately occupied. Figured out we could make the Kelso Three Rivers Mall Electrify America site. Pulled in with 16% charge left and there were four stations A BMW I3 was there and having difficulty getting charged, but eventually found a live one. Plugged in but charger would not recognize the ME. Tried nine times with different stations but no luck. Called support number and spoke with Joshua. Asked about Ford pass issue but I said I would be happy to pay just to get home. He said sorry for trouble and reset the whole station then initiated charging on his end. It worked until it got to about for about 15 minutes for 36% charge then quit. Tried connecting again but no luck, called back and spoke to Dillon. He said he saw we had just had an issue and reset the charging station and initiated charging on his end. He said there would be no cost this time and we could stay and charge as long as needed. Sounded great, but that lasted until we noticed the station was idling with about 60% charge. After spending about 1.75 hours, figured that would get us home. Made it home with about 15 miles to spare.

Takeaway: Mach E is a great drive,
Charging with EA and Ford Pass is going to be the Achilles heel to failure unless Ford and EA can get this infrastructure to work.
Going to be on the phone to Ford Pass tech support today.
I'm watching @OutofSpecKyle livestream his road trip to California and his charging experiences are painful. It should not be this hard.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm watching @OutofSpecKyle livestream his road trip to California and his charging experiences are painful. It should not be this hard.
Yup. I think he's completely correct when he says road-tripping in a non-Tesla EV is for enthusiasts only. It's just not ready for the general population.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yup. I think he's completely correct when he says road-tripping in a non-Tesla EV is for enthusiasts only. It's just not ready for the general population.
I don't even want to road trip, I just don't want a car that leaves me stranded. Tesla can do it, so should Ford.

With the many faulted charging sessions across the fleet, I really hope that Ford has the info they need so that the first OTA update includes a bug fix to resolve this particular challenge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I don't even want to road trip, I just don't want a car that leaves me stranded. Tesla can do it, so should Ford.

With the many faulted charging sessions across the fleet, I really hope that Ford has the info they need so that the first OTA update includes a bug fix to resolve this particular challenge.
I have no doubt that it will get much better with updates over time. But I think most people are being unrealistically optimistic about how much will be fixed in the first OTA update.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I have no doubt that it will get much better with updates over time. But I think most people are being unrealistically optimistic about how much will be fixed in the first OTA update.
don't worry; no matter how much is in the update - even if it meant driving the car now cured cancer in the driver (*) - there are some people on here that will complain about how terrible it is.

(*) "why didn't Ford make it cure cancer for the passenger too? that's just dumb."

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
don't worry; no matter how much is in the update - even if it meant driving the car now cured cancer in the driver (*) - there are some people on here that will complain about how terrible it is.

(*) "why didn't Ford make it cure cancer for the passenger too? that's just dumb."
lol, very true.

For some reason, Kyle's car can't consistently maintain a recharge. The session will fault out and the error codes indicate there's an issue on the Mach-E's side. I suspect he's not the only one experiencing interrupted sessions.

From previous posts by Ford peeps on the forum, we know the cars send data on these issues back home for review. I think we're all hopeful that those most common issues are being identified and the root cause corrected. Low hanging fruit sort of thing.

Buddy of mine said that EA reminds him of a "build your own PC" with incompatible components. It's unreliable by design.

Both Ford and EA understand the importance of getting this right so I'm hopeful the software can harmonize everything.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
lol, very true.

For some reason, Kyle's car can't consistently maintain a recharge. The session will fault out and the error codes indicate there's an issue on the Mach-E's side. I suspect he's not the only one experiencing interrupted sessions.

From previous posts by Ford peeps on the forum, we know the cars send data on these issues back home for review. I think we're all hopeful that those most common issues are being identified and the root cause corrected. Low hanging fruit sort of thing.

Buddy of mine said that EA reminds him of a "build your own PC" with incompatible components. It's unreliable by design.

Both Ford and EA understand the importance of getting this right so I'm hopeful the software can harmonize everything.

Yep, I have the exact same car as Kyle. I've had several times where its just randomly stopped. EA and nonEA stations do it. Seems to usually happens around 10 minutes into the charge.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Forgot to add, while we were struggling, an Audi Etron pulled up and had no issues plugging in and charging at the very same station we could not get to work. Not a good look Ford.
It is clear Audi prioritized DC Fast Charging vehicle performance and compatibility, and Ford prioritized... paying Greenlots to make a "FordPass Charging Network" for them so they could market themselves as having a "Charging Network" despite not putting one shovel in the ground, and apparently didn't seem to care if the cars *actually* charged.

Have to say, Audi picked correctly where to put the energy.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Well then Ford should have told me that, and I'd have just bought a Tesla instead.

Instead they advertised its range and fast charging capability and their "Charging Network" which absolutely yes makes this a road trip vehicle.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It is clear Audi prioritized DC Fast Charging vehicle performance and compatibility, and Ford prioritized... paying Greenlots to make a "FordPass Charging Network" for them so they could market themselves as having a "Charging Network" despite not putting one shovel in the ground, and apparently didn't seem to care if the cars *actually* charged.

Have to say, Audi picked correctly where to put the energy.
I want to say that Audi had a problem with charging when they first came out. Like, a lot of cars got stuck and could not unplug due to some sort of weird software bug. Pretty sure that was fixed fairly quickly. This interrupted charging session thing on the MME is hopefully a top priority to be resolved.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I want to say that Audi had a problem with charging when they first came out. Like, a lot of cars got stuck and could not unplug due to some sort of weird software bug. Pretty sure that was fixed fairly quickly. This interrupted charging session thing on the MME is hopefully a top priority to be resolved.
I can only take the dead silence from Ford to mean they are not working on it. If they wanted us to know they were working on it, they'd communicate with us.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Who said they are not working on it. Audi Jaguar all had major problems when they first launched fast charging. Tesla also.
Ford will get it fixed as soon as they can. Dude go eat snickers.

When my sister got her model Y. One of the first shipments it had problems with the handshake.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Kyle’s 0-100% DC Fast Charging (DCFC) Test: Mach-E Extended Range AWD 1615245545161
Sponsored

Last edited: