benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Its a bit ironic that its no problem while in your garage, charging up to 100% if you want it to, but when you really need that extra juice while traveling, the fast charging system falls on its face at 80%. I can see why that causes a lot of frustration.
Just so you know, the DCFC drops to 11 or 12kw at 80%. My charger at home maxes out at 11kw. So it slows to the same speeds you charge at home from 80-100%. While it is a bit dramatic, they basically are limiting it to Level 2 charging after 80%.
Sponsored

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Of course. I'm not saying that DCFC should fall off a cliff at 80%. I'm just saying that saying that we don't have this problem when charging in our garage is a little misleading. It's a completely different animal.
I got ya. I'm just saying its a lot more convenient to charge in the peace and quiet at your home, the extra time charging at level 2 is not a big factor. But when you are on the road traveling, fast charging but forcing you to stop at 80%, when you really need that extra 20% for your travels, that is frustrating. But I'm with you.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I got ya. I'm just saying its a lot more convenient to charge in the peace and quiet at your home, the extra time charging at level 2 is not a big factor. But when you are on the road traveling, fast charging but forcing you to stop at 80%, when you really need that extra 20% for your travels, that is frustrating. But I'm with you.

Also, when charging at home, when it gets close to full the speed drops down a lot. below is a charging session at home where I went from around 5% to 100%. I don't know at what SoC it started to taper down, but it was in the high 90's.

at 6:00am it dropped from 11kw to 9.8kw
at 6:20am it dropped to 4.4kw
at 6:35am it dropped to 2.4kw
at 6:45am it dropped to 1.4kw
at 7:05am it dropped to 0.85kw
Then at 7:15 it completed charging.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Kyle’s 0-100% DC Fast Charging (DCFC) Test: Mach-E Extended Range AWD Screenshot_20210315-152444_ChargePoint

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just so you know, the DCFC drops to 11 or 12kw at 80%. My charger at home maxes out at 11kw. So it slows to the same speeds you charge at home from 80-100%. While it is a bit dramatic, they basically are limiting it to Level 2 charging after 80%.
True, although charging time is the same for that last 20%, I would endure the extra time better at home while sleeping in my bed, rather than on the highway waiting, waiting waiting. So, no one will do that (wait, wait wait). You end up traveling with only an 80% charge from when you leave the station, knowing you can't go as far and knowing that they intentionally dropped you off the cliff at 80% . Good thing for me, I will not be traveling that much.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
True, although charging time is the same for that last 20%, I would endure the extra time better at home while sleeping in my bed, rather than on the highway waiting, waiting waiting. So, no one will do that (wait, wait wait). You end up traveling with only an 80% charge from when you leave the station, knowing you can't go as far and knowing that they intentionally dropped you off the cliff at 80% . Good thing for me, I will not be traveling that much.
it slows down at home as well. The last few % going to 100 takes over an hour.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, when charging at home, when it gets close to full the speed drops down a lot. below is a charging session at home where I went from around 5% to 100%. I don't know at what SoC it started to taper down, but it was in the high 90's.

at 6:00am it dropped from 11kw to 9.8kw
at 6:20am it dropped to 4.4kw
at 6:35am it dropped to 2.4kw
at 6:45am it dropped to 1.4kw
at 7:05am it dropped to 0.85kw
Then at 7:15 it completed charging.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Kyle’s 0-100% DC Fast Charging (DCFC) Test: Mach-E Extended Range AWD Screenshot_20210315-152444_ChargePoint
Excellent point. Imagine the feeling of being on the road, traveling. If you wanted to get that full 100% to feel safer (while traveling with range anxiety) I wonder how long you would need to wait.
I can see how charge stations may begin showing up more at hotels.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it slows down at home as well. The last few % going to 100 takes over an hour.
Agree, I would rather be at home while that hour goes by, snug in my bed, rather than beside the road traveling. Lets just agree the DC fast charges need to give the traveler better than 80%.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Excellent point. Imagine the feeling of being on the road, traveling. If you wanted to get that full 100% to feel safer (while traveling with range anxiety) I wonder how long you would need to wait.
I can see how charge stations may begin showing up more at hotels.
Just move to Oklahoma and you won't have any range anxiety! (This is all the Non-Tesla DCFC that are over 50kw) Damn near can't even see the state on the map through all the locations.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Kyle’s 0-100% DC Fast Charging (DCFC) Test: Mach-E Extended Range AWD 1615841158909

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just move to Oklahoma and you won't have any range anxiety! (This is all the Non-Tesla DCFC that are over 50kw) Damn near can't even see the state on the map through all the locations.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Kyle’s 0-100% DC Fast Charging (DCFC) Test: Mach-E Extended Range AWD 1615841158909
May be so. I love sooner country, but alas I'm a tarheel in eastern nc.

j w griffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
For those of us who have an Electrify America Pass (I have one for my Bolt), can I use my phone to fast charge the Mach E if Ford Pass is clunky or the charger doesn't recognize the Mustang? Heading to Louisiana for a day trip, and need a fast charge to 80% before heading back to Texas. And has anyone gotten anything close to 150kws from EA stations?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
For those of us who have an Electrify America Pass (I have one for my Bolt), can I use my phone to fast charge the Mach E if Ford Pass is clunky or the charger doesn't recognize the Mustang? Heading to Louisiana for a day trip, and need a fast charge to 80% before heading back to Texas. And has anyone gotten anything close to 150kws from EA stations?
Just activate the charger before plugging in your car.

And yes. Kyle has gotten up to like 164kw in some of his videos. I hit 153kw Saturday night on a 350kw EA station.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
I know Ford claims 150kWh max charge rate but is that only for the extended range battery models? Is the max charge rate less with standard range battery packs or are they all 150 max?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I know Ford claims 150kWh max charge rate but is that only for the extended range battery models? Is the max charge rate less with standard range battery packs or are they all 150 max?
Yes, it is less for the standard battery. I think I remember 110 max.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Interesting what he said about being able to unplug and plug back in right away to get another 5 minutes of 150kw charging. I imagine that isn't what Ford intended and they're going to "fix" that loophole
I believe the 150 rate lasts ~3 minutes.

Three minutes at 150, 90 seconds fiddling with restarting for 3 more VS. 3 @ 150 & 4.5 @ 100

900 vs 900

Restarting the connection would need to reliably take less than 90 seconds for it to begin to make sense.

Last edited: