Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Wondering if anyone with a JuiceBox or some other charger with logging has seen the car take 48 amps for a few min (the fans seem to run while in 48amp) then drop down to say 35 amp for a few min, fans are off, then back up for a few min. I picked up a Tesla WallConnector and thought I'd be streaming 48amps into the car solid until maybe 80% or so, but it does this. Temps arn't an issue though they do read higher than reality by a few degrees.
Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 7.55.16 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 8.06.09 AM

Voltages are level but the amp draw from one to the other is almost 2.5 amps. I can live with it but kinda wished it would be a solid 44 or something. Unless it all avgs out on other chargers as well.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That’s either a bug or something is overheating. You sure the passenger side fender coolant bottle is full and the pump is running while charging? Might check for codes too.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use a JuiceBox 40 amp and usually charge to 90%. The only time I didn't see straight line charging was when I charged to 100% for a trip and preconditioned for my early morning departure. Never had it do anything like you show.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
That’s either a bug or something is overheating. You sure the passenger side fender coolant bottle is full and the pump is running while charging? Might check for codes too.
I hear the pump running, which I didn't hear when it was on my HCS-40 feeding about 30amp. I'm assuming you have to gut the frunk area to get to that bottle as it's not under the little access panel. (off to pull the front apart)
Edit: just that big cover.
Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 1.21.04 PM

Fluid is full.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I hear the pump running, which I didn't hear when it was on my HCS-40 feeding about 30amp. I'm assuming you have to gut the frunk area to get to that bottle as it's not under the little access panel. (off to pull the front apart)
Edit: just that big cover.
Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 1.21.04 PM
It’s tank A for the charger, if you take the top cover off you can shine a light in there and sort of see it. Otherwise pull the side cover off too. At higher amp charging the pump should run and fan will cycle on and off.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Fan is running, but the pump isn't. Looks like I just missed it's first drop to 35amp. I'm going to go sit out there.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux IMG_4464

Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux IMG_4463

now at least I hear some fluids running around, but not seeing activity in the tank. Sounds mostly like fast dripping.

Last edited:

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
Check for codes. My Grizzl-E at 40 amps would cause an error of overheating the charge port. At 32 amps no problem, but that unit will not auto switch. It requires a replacement of the charge port.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Something is going on for sure. I tired a couple times with the same results.
It'll charge at 48 for about 25 min (cold in the garage unplugged all night). The Wall Connector shows "Charge at reduced rate (10)" sometimes (5). I hear a hum from the car currently but it's electrical and quiet. No pumps, no fans.
Tank temp was 100 degrees yesterday, radiator was 90. After keying on and off yesterday with it plugged in charging I heard coolant at least moving somewhere, not to the tank but somewhere making noise.
Not sure in Forscan Lite where the codes are I'm looking for. I get DTC's as shown above don't seem to have a reset. Time to drag the 8 lb Dell out.
Edit: I guess "Reset DTC for this module" resets all DTCs for the car as I have none showing now. Plug it back in after key cycling and it's silent other than the electrical hum.
@MachLee Should the pumps kick on right away? Or is it dependant on the pack temp?

Last edited:
OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Resetting the DTC's didn't resolve it. It charged for about 20 min then started cycling 48 to 36 to 48 to 36.

As much as I don't want to I'll try to knock the amperage down to 40a and see if it stays. Otherwise I'll knock it down to 32 and make another appt.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Something is going on for sure. I tired a couple times with the same results.
It'll charge at 48 for about 25 min (cold in the garage unplugged all night). The Wall Connector shows "Charge at reduced rate (10)" sometimes (5). I hear a hum from the car currently but it's electrical and quiet. No pumps, no fans.
Tank temp was 100 degrees yesterday, radiator was 90. After keying on and off yesterday with it plugged in charging I heard coolant at least moving somewhere, not to the tank but somewhere making noise.
Not sure in Forscan Lite where the codes are I'm looking for. I get DTC's as shown above don't seem to have a reset. Time to drag the 8 lb Dell out.
Edit: I guess "Reset DTC for this module" resets all DTCs for the car as I have none showing now. Plug it back in after key cycling and it's silent other than the electrical hum.
@MachLee Should the pumps kick on right away? Or is it dependant on the pack temp?
FYI you forgot the hyphen, that’s a different guy.

I didn’t see any SOBDM codes for you. The charger pump is pretty quiet, that’s probably the hum you hear. The tank getting warm is also a good sign because heat is moving. 100F is far from overheating so that’s good.

See if you can find the charging connector temp in FORScan or Car Scanner (SOBDM module). You may also want to verify your input voltage is above 230V while at full amps, it could be seeing a large voltage drop.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Voltage is hovering at 234.5 at 48a. The plug temp is getting up to 125+ the charger has 3 temps. Plug, board and MCU. All are up to 120 within 15 min. Sadly the unit doesn’t tell me if it’s reduced the current due to the car or it’s self. No white paper of what it’s operating specs actually are. Just ‘under 120 degrees’ it’s 80 out. But the board is at 120 quick.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Something odd is going on. I poped the 'old' 50amp mp250 breaker back in and re-config'd to 40amp charge and now it's squiggly lines.
Actual temps with ir thermo
ambient 99 (at the breaker box 102)
at the breaker connections is 121
wire temp just off the breaker (exposed piece 1/8th of an inch 116)
Handle temp 104
Garage 96

If this little flux is ok I'll live with it as no fans are running on the car just what sounds like a pump but nothing flowing in the bottle still.
Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 1.39.59 PM

Really it's +/- .5 amps or less on the car current, but no longer dropping all the way to mid 30's. That blank spot is when the charts arn't in focus.

EDIT: well crap. it just dropped to 32amp. Probably the port.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Something odd is going on. I poped the 'old' 50amp mp250 breaker back in and re-config'd to 40amp charge and now it's squiggly lines.
Actual temps with ir thermo
ambient 99 (at the breaker box 102)
at the breaker connections is 121
wire temp just off the breaker (exposed piece 1/8th of an inch 116)
Handle temp 104
Garage 96

If this little flux is ok I'll live with it as no fans are running on the car just what sounds like a pump but nothing flowing in the bottle still.
Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 1.39.59 PM

Really it's +/- .5 amps or less on the car current, but no longer dropping all the way to mid 30's. That blank spot is when the charts arn't in focus.

EDIT: well crap. it just dropped to 32amp. Probably the port.
Mine is 161 and been doing fine. Ambient garage temps are about 75°. Have you saw if there’s any change with the charger output reduction % when It’s throttling back?

Ford Mustang Mach-E L2 38~48 amp charging flux IMG_2368

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Is that from ForScan? I've been looking for PIDS to watch but cherry picking is really hard when theres 3 of the same pid but 2 are from ICE vehicles.
Sponsored