AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I have a Grizzl-e EVSE with adjustable output between 16-32-40 amp settings, connected to a 50a breaker. I've used it at the 40amp setting for over a year with no issue.

About a month or so ago I ran into multiple charging errors such as "scheduled charge did not begin" or "charging stopped", typically only after 20-25 minutes of charging. The outlet is cool, the cords are cool, but the "nozzle" connected to the car is hot. Uncomfortable to touch the metal disconnect button.

I stepped down the EVSE to 32 amp and have had zero problems. There are times where I'm returning from a long trip and need to charge as fast as possible, so getting back to 40 amp is a priority.

My car will be getting BC at the dealer tomorrow. What other updates should I request that might solve this? Or is this a common issue that software won't fix?
Sponsored

JGuske23

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD extended range
Occupation
Market manager
Country flag
It appears this is part of the protection update Ford put in place regretfully. I too am having the same issues and with 39k miles I took need my car charging as fast as possible most days. I hope Ford fixes this and let's our cars get back to 40amp+ ASAP

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sounds like an EVSE issue more than a MME issue. It’s hot out, and it may be overheating.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I would ask grizzly to send me a new piece that includes the car connector if it can be separated out that way. It's usually the hot part that has the defect.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
If the 1772 plug has enough resistance that it is making heat, check the pins in the car's port to be clean and bright. I've heard of contact contaminates causing this and you may have to replace the charge port as well as the EVSE lead. The charge port does have a thermistor in it that will cut back charging if hot.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
I was using a Lectron 40A 15-40 charger for almost a year on my other EV with no issues. The first time I charged the MME I did not have any issues. This weekend was the second time I charged it at home (I mostly charge at the office - free charging!) and I kept getting charging faults. Usually after 10-15 minutes. I disconnected the Lectron charger and used the Ford 32A charger without a problem. It’s too bad you can’t tell the car to step down to 32A if your charger does not support any charge changes. I am probably just going to order a Juicebox 40. But as I charge at work (also 32A) most of the time it’s not a big deal

OP
OP
AlpaChino

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
If the 1772 plug has enough resistance that it is making heat, check the pins in the car's port to be clean and bright. I've heard of contact contaminates causing this and you may have to replace the charge port as well as the EVSE lead. The charge port does have a thermistor in it that will cut back charging if hot.
Yep. I had a friend pull codes for me and he found this:

SOBDM : Battery Charger Coupler Temperature 'A' Too High: No Sub Type Information

I'll be advising the tech tomorrow of this discovery, and hopefully narrows it down a bit. I've had the same behavior from other 48amp chargers on the road very recently, so I know it's not my EVSE.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
I don't like that the receptacle in the car is not sealed when the door is closed. Chemical fumes or even salt fumes will eventually affect the contact surfaces over time. BMW and Mini use a dummy plug to prevent that.

Bikespace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium ER 4x
Country flag
Try cleaning it. The Grizzl-E charge cable (with the J1772 end) looks to be easy to replace as a unit., if they'll send one. But see what they say first.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I recommend coating the charge port contacts with light machine oil. It will not allow oxĂ­gen to touch the metal, but as soon as a charge plug is inserted the wiping of the metal surfaces will displace the oil, and will not put up any resistence. The surface cohesion of the oil will return to cover the contacts after the plug is removed.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
The standard coating to keep contacts from oxidizing is dielectric grease commonly used in auto ignition systems, about 6 bucks/tube.

JGuske23

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD extended range
Occupation
Market manager
Country flag
I charge at 48A without issue.
What brand do you use by chance? I'm a juicebox and the tech ran her tests with no issues on her side, then scoured the internet to find a thread of people on another site with these same issues since Fords last update.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
What brand do you use by chance? I'm a juicebox and the tech ran her tests with no issues on her side, then scoured the internet to find a thread of people on another site with these same issues since Fords last update.
ChargePoint Home Flex.
Sponsored