[L2 Charging Issue] Received the E-pony; all good except ...

arafeeq

First Name
Rafeeq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I received the MME delayed by a week (not the end of the world :)). Super impressed with the build quality, drive, controls and overall experience. This is a game changer from Ford and I hope they iron out software bugs (which I anticipated will inhabit version 1) soon and develop this platform to power their line-up. The only major gripe that I have is that fast-charging doesn't work.

Issue:
120V charge works perfectly. Plug it into 240V 14-50A outlet, the mobile charger displays a stable "blue" light and the charge status is "Plugged in but not charging". That's strange, as the module is able to receive the power but the MME computer isn't receiving the power. I suspect its got to do with a trigger signal that needs to initiate the charge flow to the battery pack but I'd need a real Ford engineer to humble my thoughts. Anyone encountering the same?
Sponsored

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I received the MME delayed by a week (not the end of the world :)). Super impressed with the build quality, drive, controls and overall experience. This is a game changer from Ford and I hope they iron out software bugs (which I anticipated will inhabit version 1) soon and develop this platform to power their line-up. The only major gripe that I have is that fast-charging doesn't work.

Issue:
120V charge works perfectly. Plug it into 240V 14-50A outlet, the mobile charger displays a stable "blue" light and the charge status is "Plugged in but not charging". That's strange, as the module is able to receive the power but the MME computer isn't receiving the power. I suspect its got to do with a trigger signal that needs to initiate the charge flow to the battery pack but I'd need a real Ford engineer to humble my thoughts. Anyone encountering the same?
Perhaps a setting on FordPass? e.g. if I set it to charge at 12am, it will not charge before that.

OP
OP

arafeeq

First Name
Rafeeq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Perhaps a setting on FordPass? e.g. if I set it to charge at 12am, it will not charge before that.
Forgot to mention, I have configured it to charge when plugged in. Its definitely not set to charging at preferred time "yet".

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Forgot to mention, I have configured it to charge when plugged in. Its definitely not set to charging at preferred time "yet".
So the equivalent of kicking it is: press that "unplug charger" button next to where the charger goes in, push the charger all the way in, pull it out completely, and then push it all the way in again. Might as well give it a try?

OP
OP

arafeeq

First Name
Rafeeq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So the equivalent of kicking it is: press that "unplug charger" button next to where the charger goes in, push the charger all the way in, pull it out completely, and then push it all the way in again. Might as well give it a try?
Absolutely, will do. For now the dealer has taken the car to perform diagnostics. If they discover the same with their NEMA 14-50A outlet, we will have consensus. If not, its my outlet. One way or the other, I would have expected the mobile charger light to be an authoritative signal of the status. In this case, it shows everything is good and points to some onboard fault on the car's computer.

Reactions: UW2

kfer

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mach-E Premium
Occupation
High School Science Teacher
Country flag
I’m having the same issue. My car did charge on the 240 outlet with the mobile charger for about a day then stopped working and sounds like exactly what you stated. Dealer had the car overnight last night and worked with Ford to download new software. One problem though was that our dealer didn’t have a 240V outlet to even test our mobile charger on so they couldn’t actually see the problem in person. Got the car home today and still the same problem. I’ve had an electrician here as well so I know the outlet is fine. Not sure what to do next...

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I’m having the same issue. My car did charge on the 240 outlet with the mobile charger for about a day then stopped working and sounds like exactly what you stated. Dealer had the car overnight last night and worked with Ford to download new software. One problem though was that our dealer didn’t have a 240V outlet to even test our mobile charger on so they couldn’t actually see the problem in person. Got the car home today and still the same problem. I’ve had an electrician here as well so I know the outlet is fine. Not sure what to do next...
Check out the thread I posted a few posts back. There’s a tracker listed in that thread for this issue, so you should enter your info. I see you’re in Illinois. For some reason a disproportionate people with the issue are in Illinois.

kfer

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mach-E Premium
Occupation
High School Science Teacher
Country flag
Thanks! I’ll do that.

Check out the thread I posted a few posts back. There’s a tracker listed in that thread for this issue, so you should enter your info. I see you’re in Illinois. For some reason a disproportionate people with the issue are in Illinois.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How can we have so many bad 240 outlets out there. It must be car related.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
How can we have so many bad 240 outlets out there. It must be car related.
We know it's not the outlets. Many have reported that other EVs charge fine at locations their MME will not.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It must be car related.
I think that's a given at this point. And the fact that so many of them are in Illinois is mystifying. When this is eventually fixed, I really hope that Ford tells us what the issue was.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How about a $500. gift card for our inconvenience.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Here's an update from Ford research on this topic -
"The high voltage (HV) battery will not charge using a level 3 DC fast charging station/electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). The HV battery will still charge with a level 1 and level 2 EVSE. The customer can disconnect the Level 3 DC fast charger coupler from the vehicle, then reconnect to reset the OBCC and allow charging. Engineering is currently working on a revised OBCC calibration to correct for this concern that should be available late May 2021. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment for repair in June 2021."

While I'm satisfied they acknowledged the issue, I'm unable to distinguish if mobile charger using 240V is Level 2. Based on their response, Level 2 should still work, but it isn't and they're talking about Level 3 as the known issue. Any thoughts?
Yes, 240V A/C charging is Level 2. It's not making sense to me why the response mentions DCFC (Level 3), since that was not part of your stated issue.
Sponsored