Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/451419/lack-knowledge-patience-prevent-us-ev-adoption/
Lack Of Knowledge And Patience Inhibit North American EV Adoption

Oct 29, 2020 3h ago
gustavo-henrique-ruffo1.jpg

By: Gustavo Henrique Ruffo

J.D. Power's Mobility Confidence Index shows more than two-thirds of respondents never were in an EV.

As PartCatalog.com help us show you, EV sales in the US since 2010 are increasing: almost one million cars were sold up to September 2020. Anyway, J.D. Power asked “more than 8,500 consumers and industry experts” about electric cars and discovered 69 percent of them in the US (68 percent in Canada) have never even been in one, and 62 percent of them would never buy an EV. That shows a lack of knowledge hinders adoption.

Unfortunately, impatience also plays a major role in that. J.D. Power discovered 45 percent of respondents would only wait 15 minutes to charge the vehicle for at least 200 miles in the US. In Canada, consumers are slightly more impatient: 47 percent would wait 15 minutes or less.

Range demands are also high: 78 percent of American buyers would only be comfortable with a range of at least 300 miles. When it comes to Canadian ones, 79 percent of them expect at least 450 km of range.

Kristin Kolodge is the executive director of driver interaction and human-machine interface research at J.D. Power. She is concerned that there are about 50 new electric cars scheduled for the American market until the end of 2022 in such a scenario. According to her, automakers have to find ways to promote them to “increase consideration.”

More Articles On EV Adoption:
la-nostra-elettrica-tesla-model-3.jpg
Castrol Infographic: The Road To Mainstream Electric Car Adoption

eeds-319-mi-range-36-000-price-30-minutes-charging.jpg
U.S. EV Adoption Needs 319-Mile Range, $36,000 Price, 30-Minute Charging

The company also asked about autonomous vehicles, but this is basically hypothetical since there is no vehicle even close to offering the technology. While Uber was testing the technology, the death of a person only made things worse in a market that will rely fundamentally on trust: only 14 percent of respondents would ever consider riding in a self-driving car.

Although J.D. Power did not ask that about electric cars, trust must also play a major role in their adoption. Issues of any sort may make it even more difficult, which justifies more investments in quality control and customer care. Let’s hope automakers get the message.
Source: J.D. Power via Automotive News

1603989612919.png

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
A wholesale shift in American attitudes towards ev's is really necessary. We've a long ways to go yet.

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This reminds me of something I haven't thought about in a while. I've ordered a $50k car, and I have never once sat in a BEV, nor of course ridden in or driven one. That either makes me trusting or foolish ?.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
This reminds me of something I haven't thought about in a while. I've ordered a $50k car, and I have never once sat in a BEV, nor of course ridden in or driven one. That either makes me trusting or foolish ?.
When I ordered the Focus Electric I'd never sat in or driven an EV either. Except that the dealer did happen to have a Focus Electric that I took for a spin around the block..that was it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Good lord man! Who would do such a thing!

Oh, wait ... never mind.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/451419/lack-knowledge-patience-prevent-us-ev-adoption/
Lack Of Knowledge And Patience Inhibit North American EV Adoption

Oct 29, 2020 3h ago
Ford Mustang Mach-E Lack Of Knowledge And Patience Inhibit North American EV Adoption 1603989612919

By: Gustavo Henrique Ruffo

J.D. Power's Mobility Confidence Index shows more than two-thirds of respondents never were in an EV.

As PartCatalog.com help us show you, EV sales in the US since 2010 are increasing: almost one million cars were sold up to September 2020. Anyway, J.D. Power asked “more than 8,500 consumers and industry experts” about electric cars and discovered 69 percent of them in the US (68 percent in Canada) have never even been in one, and 62 percent of them would never buy an EV. That shows a lack of knowledge hinders adoption.

Unfortunately, impatience also plays a major role in that. J.D. Power discovered 45 percent of respondents would only wait 15 minutes to charge the vehicle for at least 200 miles in the US. In Canada, consumers are slightly more impatient: 47 percent would wait 15 minutes or less.

Range demands are also high: 78 percent of American buyers would only be comfortable with a range of at least 300 miles. When it comes to Canadian ones, 79 percent of them expect at least 450 km of range.

Kristin Kolodge is the executive director of driver interaction and human-machine interface research at J.D. Power. She is concerned that there are about 50 new electric cars scheduled for the American market until the end of 2022 in such a scenario. According to her, automakers have to find ways to promote them to “increase consideration.”

More Articles On EV Adoption:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Lack Of Knowledge And Patience Inhibit North American EV Adoption 1603989612919
Castrol Infographic: The Road To Mainstream Electric Car Adoption

U.S. EV Adoption Needs 319-Mile Range, $36,000 Price, 30-Minute Charging

The company also asked about autonomous vehicles, but this is basically hypothetical since there is no vehicle even close to offering the technology. While Uber was testing the technology, the death of a person only made things worse in a market that will rely fundamentally on trust: only 14 percent of respondents would ever consider riding in a self-driving car.

Although J.D. Power did not ask that about electric cars, trust must also play a major role in their adoption. Issues of any sort may make it even more difficult, which justifies more investments in quality control and customer care. Let’s hope automakers get the message.
Source: J.D. Power via Automotive News

All we have to do is look around this Forum and see these play out:

Example: @dbsb3233

Example: @1pt21Gigawatts

For some drivers, especially those who have not owned a BEV, these are legitimate concerns. For others, not so much.

There's also the false math of these when considering long trips: Who goes 250 miles without stopping for a bathroom break? Not me anymore. Who lunges in to get gas and get back on the road in 5 minutes for each stop on a long trip? Not me anymore. I'm glad my cannonball days are over.

Will long trips result in overnights in a BEV that might have been prevented in an ICE? Sure. But driving that long in a day is risky.

Even so, these are perceived as barriers to adoption.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
All we have to do is look around this Forum and see these play out:

Example: @dbsb3233

Example: @1pt21Gigawatts

For some drivers, especially those who have not owned a BEV, these are legitimate concerns. For others, not so much.

There's also the false math of these when considering long trips: Who goes 250 miles without stopping for a bathroom break? Not me anymore. Who lunges in to get gas and get back on the road in 5 minutes for each stop on a long trip? Not me anymore. I'm glad my cannonball days are over.

Will long trips result in overnights in a BEV that might have been prevented in an ICE? Sure. But driving that long in a day is risky.

Even so, these are perceived as barriers to adoption.
I don’t consider 45 minutes impatience, time as a resource is scarce for a number of people, and it is money. If I had an extra 45 minutes a day when we were still commuting, that’s a substantial impact on my life. Just because people value their time doesn’t mean they’re impatient.

And frankly, 45mins means trips I could do in one day now take 2 and $300 in hotels.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don’t consider 45 minutes impatience, time as a resource is scarce for a number of people, and it is money. If I had an extra 45 minutes a day when we were still commuting, that’s a substantial impact on my life. Just because people value their time doesn’t mean they’re impatient.

And frankly, 45mins means trips I could do in one day now take 2 and $300 in hotels.
I’m not disagreeing that for you that’s a legitimate concern. My point in this posting was right up front:
“All we have to do is look around this Forum and see these play out”.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or just well-researched. That's me too, never sat in one. But researched the crap out of it. :cool:

Frankly, sitting in one (or even test-driving one) is pretty irrelevant from a BEV vs ICE standpoint. 80% of the car is the same, and it mostly drives the same (with sportier acceleration). The biggest difference is how it's refueled, and all the impacts emanating from it. Like easy and cheap recharging at home (a big plus IF you have that available to you), like slow recharging on the road (a big minus), like still limited road charging networks (but improving), like road-trip range that averages about half of ICE (requiring twice as many slooow refuels), etc.

Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Those 45 minutes aren’t spent standing there holding a hose while your choice of fuel is pumped into a container. I spend that time doing other “productive” things. I walk the dog. I walk myself. I read. I reply to emails. I chat with relatives that I never have time to see. I eat. I nap. I plan. But really most of the time I go for a run. After plugging in, I know ~exactly how long I have to get in my workout.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If folks don't have an extra 45 minutes on a road trip to spend charging, then the BEV may not be the best choice for them.
For use as the road trip vehicle, anyway. That's why I say that I think the meat of the BEV market for a while will be households with 2 cars, keeping one ICE for road trips. That's a good transition plan until DCFC charging times improve and the charging network gets better built out.

This was never going to be an all-at-once transition to BEVs. It's sort of ironic the story cites lack of patience as an inhibitor, when it also applies to the expectations for BEV adoption. It's gonna take patience.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
False for you, perhaps. But don't assume that's "false" for everyone. It isn't. You even qualified that with "anymore", suggesting that it was in the past. Which is good proof that there are drivers that DO, for a variety of reasons and personal preferences.

That's what's great about having choices. Some people like to take their time getting places, stopping right and left for long periods. Others like (or need) to get to their destination sooner. And save the cost of hotel rooms along the way. And some only have X days off from work to squeeze a trip into.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
False for you, perhaps. But don't assume that's "false" for everyone. It isn't. You even qualified that with "anymore", suggesting that it was in the past. Which is good proof that there are drivers that DO, for a variety of reasons and personal preferences.

That's what's great about having choices. Some people like to take their time getting places, stopping right and left for long periods. Others like (or need) to get to their destination sooner. And save the cost of hotel rooms along the way. And some only have X days off from work to squeeze a trip into.
I think we're in agreement here.

I used the term in the sense that math tells us 2+3=5. Period. It's false math to say 2+3=5 for some people, at some times.

While for some it really is true that they are too impatient or have legitimate needs for shorter and less frequent stops, many people who say BEV charging time or range will take too long aren't being realistic about how they actually drive. Many people underestimate the time they already spend in stops on long road trips.
Sponsored