DiscWiz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape, F250
Country flag
Does anyone have a grasp on how the Mach-E will handle lane centering and will this change when the hands free driving comes online? Will it bounce side to side between the lines or will it be able to center in the lane out of the gate?

Thanks,
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Does anyone have a grasp on how the Mach-E will handle lane centering and will this change when the hands free driving comes online? Will it bounce side to side between the lines or will it be able to center in the lane out of the gate?

Thanks,
We don’t know for sure when the hands free will be available. It’s supposed to be in Q3 2021. But we’ve also heard rumors of a few months after launch too. Check these out. It won’t bounce, it’ll work even better than my 2020 Explorer.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ise-control-without-hands-free.869/post-28630

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As it’s name suggests, Lane Centering keeps you in the center of the lane. Vehicles that have Lane Keep Assist without Lane Centering are where you see the ping ponging effect.
apparently some teslas have to "calibrate" for the first n miles before they stay centered, and exhibit the ping-ponging behavior. This is just me passing on what I've read, I have no idea if it is common or even true.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
apparently some teslas have to "calibrate" for the first n miles before they stay centered
I don't know whether or not is has to do with centering per se, but yes the autopilot system must be calibrated. When they change lanes and make turns, the path they take often looks a 1/2 critically damped oscillation (sorry to nerd it up this early), not a single turn.

oscda8.gif

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
While the Mach E won't have hands-free from the start, it will have lane centering and adaptive cruise that combine to something close. You actually can drive hands-free for a little while before the nanny warns you to put your hands back on the wheel. Otherwise, you just need pressure on the wheel until next year's OTA.

You can see it at work in Mach E ride-along video #2.
The best demo is at 6:20 with a second at 9:40.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
While the Mach E won't have hands-free from the start, it will have lane centering and adaptive cruise that combine to something close. You actually can drive hands-free for a little while before the nanny warns you to put your hands back on the wheel. Otherwise, you just need pressure on the wheel until next year's OTA.

You can see it at work in Mach E ride-along video #2.
The best demo is at 6:20 with a second at 9:40.
Sure, but I don't' believe that is the intent.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sure, but I don't' believe that is the intent.
Not sure what you mean @zhackwyatt.

If you mean the intent isn't to let go of the wheel, I agree. That will come with the hands-free update.

However, we've seen that the point of the auto-lane centering/steering and adaptive cruise control that the role of the driver is to monitor the system but the system will keep the car in the lane, including curves, without the driver actively steering. This is the same as the 2020 Explorer video above.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
the role of the driver is to monitor the system
Yes, and the way the car confirms that is you having your hand on the wheel to offer mild resistance when it adjusts the wheels. So the car will complain if there isn't any resistance, eventually disabling the LKA if it has to scold you twice.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Not sure what you mean @zhackwyatt.

If you mean the intent isn't to let go of the wheel, I agree. That will come with the hands-free update.
Yeah this is what I meant.
However, we've seen that the point of the auto-lane centering/steering and adaptive cruise control that the role of the driver is to monitor the system but the system will keep the car in the lane, including curves, without the driver actively steering. This is the same as the 2020 Explorer video above.
I can't wait to play with it. I have the self-parallel park in my C-Max but its too slow to use and finicky.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Spend a bunch of time with hands-on-wheel to see if the system can earn your confidence in not touching the wheel.

For example, vehicles with lane centering can want to suddenly veer out of lane when they misread lane markings.

If the driver is paying attention AND holding the wheel, this will not happen. This is because there the lane centering is designed to work cooperatively with the driver controlling the steering wheel. It is not designed to steer without driver involvement.

Hands-free driving, available sometime next year, is different. This is when you'll finally be able to just supervise the situation while the car controls steering and speed.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Spend a bunch of time with hands-on-wheel to see if the system can earn your confidence in not touching the wheel.

For example, vehicles with lane centering can want to suddenly veer out of lane when they misread lane markings.

If the driver is paying attention AND holding the wheel, this will not happen. This is because there the lane centering is designed to work cooperatively with the driver controlling the steering wheel. It is not designed to steer without driver involvement.

Hands-free driving, available sometime next year, is different. This is when you'll finally be able to just supervise the situation while the car controls steering and speed.
I'm hopeful that lane centering version 2 on the Mach-E is better than what's in our 2020 Explorer. It has that one weird quirk you mention. When an exit lane opens up most times the vehicle tries to follow the solid line on the right and take the exit ramp. I have to turn it back into the right lane, that's why you have a hand on the wheel!! But most of the time I only have a very light grip and let the wheel move back and forth to make the micro-adjustments to stay in the lane (it does a pretty good job).

Example:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Lane Centering and Hands Free Driving 1606167059754

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm hopeful that lane centering version 2 on the Mach-E is better than what's in our 2020 Explorer. It has that one weird quirk you mention. When an exit lane opens up most times the vehicle tries to follow the solid line on the right and take the exit ramp. I have to turn it back into the right lane, that's why you have a hand on the wheel!!

Example:
1606167059754.png
Yep, similar reaction sometimes on my dad's CR-V. Most of the time though, in this situation, the CR-V will turn off lane keeping until the vehicle returns to an area where the system's confidence level is high enough. And that is the right thing to do, but it's yet another reason to keep hands on wheel.