Lane Centering and Hands Free Driving

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
But most of the time I only have a very light grip and let the wheel move back and forth to make the micro-adjustments to stay in the lane (it does a pretty good job).
I wonder if it works differently compared to a tight grip if you have a blowout or a strong unexpected wind gust.

Since I've never driven a car and had a blowout, I do not know how violent it can it cannot be.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder if it works differently compared to a tight grip if you have a blowout or a strong unexpected wind gust.

Since I've never driven a car and had a blowout, I do not know how violent it can it cannot be.
My experiences have ranged from mild excitement to nearly brown pants. :eek:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Reading the manual I've found a really cool feature to the Mach E implementation of Lane Centering:
If you drive off-center within the lane, the system sets and maintains that preferred lane position.

Most people don't drive in the center of the lane, they tend to drive a bit right of center. Apparently the Mach E will learn your preferred position within the lane!

codeGR

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge Titanium, (on order) 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Standard Range
Country flag
Reading the manual I've found a really cool feature to the Mach E implementation of Lane Centering:
If you drive off-center within the lane, the system sets and maintains that preferred lane position.

Most people don't drive in the center of the lane, they tend to drive a bit right of center. Apparently the Mach E will learn your preferred position within the lane!
Hopefully it does a better job than the new Ford Escape I drove recently. I kept having to fight with the vehicle cause I wanted it to drive a little to the right.

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
As its name suggests, Lane Centering keeps you in the center of the lane. Vehicles that have Lane Keep Assist without Lane Centering are where you see the ping ponging effect.
I beg to differ. Mine exhibited exactly this behavior - except much worse. It suddenly decided to swing me into the next lane. I'll NOT be letting THIS car self-drive.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I beg to differ. Mine exhibited exactly this behavior - except much worse. It suddenly decided to swing me into the next lane. I'll NOT be letting THIS car self-drive.
Well, since I don't have my car yet, I can't argue with that. I can only say how it's supposed to work.

OP
OP

DiscWiz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape, F250
Country flag
Well, since I don't have my car yet, I can't argue with that. I can only say how it's supposed to work.
I have the exact opposite experience. It has been dead solid in keeping me perfectly centered. You do need to help it around tight curves, but other than this it has been spot on in my opinion.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The car is not designed or intended to self drive.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are you sure you have the adaptive/intelligent cruise control and auto lane centering enabled - IIRC lane centering is a setting? You have to turn on cruise control first, then lane centering. When you engaged there is a blue bubble around a car icon displayed next to the speed. If it loses tracking the blue bubble goes away.

I have the exact opposite experience. It has been dead solid in keeping me perfectly centered. You do need to help it around tight curves, but other than this it has been spot on in my opinion.
I've driven 2 hours on the highway over 4 different drives, and this is generally my experience also - for me it stays between the lines but sometimes leans toward one side or the other, but doesn't get close than a foot or two of the lane lines

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Are you sure you have the adaptive/intelligent cruise control and auto lane centering enabled - IIRC lane centering is a setting? You have to turn on cruise control first, then lane centering. When you engaged there is a blue bubble around a car icon displayed next to the speed. If it loses tracking the blue bubble goes away.

I've driven 2 hours on the highway over 4 different drives, and this is generally my experience also - for me it stays between the lines but sometimes leans toward one side or the other, but doesn't get close than a foot or two of the lane lines
Yes, I had both enabled and saw the blue bubble when lane centering was active. The blue bubble is not there when just adaptive cruise control is active.
I'll admit that I had a difficult time finding the control in the dark to turn it off. I just held tight to the steering wheel until I found it. The lettering on the buttons is not white and there is no light on the steering wheel, so you must feel around to find the correct buttons. When I first got the car, I was also thrown off by the rocker switches. My Prius only had buttons.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My experience has been that adaptive cruise control and lane centering is good enough to self-drive on 80% of freeway miles, even if it is not promised to be self-driving yet.

The issue is with curves, the lane centering can handle gentle curves like you would get on most stretches of a freeway, but anything moderate and the system lets go. I think this might be a fail-safe built in where it is impossible for the lane centering to force a sharp turn, even a moderate turn, on the Mach-E in case the computer has made an incorrect calculation.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
For me it has been more spot on than spotty, the rain and the curb cause a few issues or maybe it's moving closer to the curb than I'm comfortable with. Auto breaking has been smooth and less aggressive than me. I havent clocked many miles yet so still learning but generally it's good and I am hands ready.

Smurf

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus SC430
Country flag
As its name suggests, Lane Centering keeps you in the center of the lane. Vehicles that have Lane Keep Assist without Lane Centering are where you see the ping ponging effect.
I turned it on in my car and it wasn’t working. Does anyone know if this feature is supposed to work now?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I turned it on in my car and it wasn’t working. Does anyone know if this feature is supposed to work now?
Yes, but it only works when using cruise control.
Sponsored