Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tried the lane keeping to day on the first road trip. Covered about 400 miles with lane keeping on for about half that distance. Not sure I'm a fan. Ping pong effect where it appeared the car was bouncing off the two guide lines for the lane. Feel in the steering wheel was rather disturbing. At one point the car felt like it was hugging the right line for a lengthy period, almost engaging the rumble strips. Another time a third lane began for a hill and the system could not handle the absence of a right line for a few hundred feet before the new lane was fully established. System shut down with a grand display of light and sound to alarm you. Am I forgetting something in setting this up for a worry free trip?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Tried the lane keeping to day on the first road trip. Covered about 400 miles with lane keeping on for about half that distance. Not sure I'm a fan. Ping pong effect where it appeared the car was bouncing off the two guide lines for the lane. Feel in the steering wheel was rather disturbing. At one point the car felt like it was hugging the right line for a lengthy period, almost engaging the rumble strips. Another time a third lane began for a hill and the system could not handle the absence of a right line for a few hundred feet before the new lane was fully established. System shut down with a grand display of light and sound to alarm you. Am I forgetting something in setting this up for a worry free trip?
Read this and see if it jives with how you thought Lane Keeping was meant to assist you while you're driving:

https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/lane-keeping-system/

There's a separate function you can enable while using cruise control called lane centering:

https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/?intcmp=cp360-lks-dat#4

It still requires hands on wheel, and active human driving.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I too am not completely happy with cruise control lane centering. I have to maintain an unusual amount of pressure on the wheel with both hands to keep it active. I think it drives too much on the right side of the lane for my taste as well. It also makes me feel a little sick for some reason when using it.

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
DId you have LANCE CENTERING ON? LANE KEEP ASSIST != LANE CENTERING. The fact that people dont understand this is scary.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
DId you have LANCE CENTERING ON? LANE KEEP ASSIST != LANE CENTERING. The fact that people dont understand this is scary.
If the car is “hugging the right line” as the OP said, it sounds like he was using Lane Centering, which doesn’t seem to do a great job of actually centering.

Eosin

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
What you described does not sound like lane centering. It sounds like lane keep assist.

The car should not bounce back and forth like a ping pong.

First, you should verify the lane centering light is green. If it is grey, it may be on but inactive. Green means active.

Next, be advised you can override the lane centering to make it hold a different position in the lane. If you provide steering input to move the car to a spot in the lane, the car will continue to hold that spot in the lane the best it can. If you override the lane centering by steering it toward the right or left if where it wanted to go, you have essentially "reset" the position it wants to hold. This allows you to adjust the way the car drives if you notice it hugging the right or left side of the lane.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lane Keeping - not sure I'm a fan Screenshot_20210523-044905

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I too am having a problem where it feels like the car wants to hug the right line on lane centering mode. (ACC on, blue bubbles around car in dash console.)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it were hugging the left lane line but hugging the right lane line makes me feel like i might clip another car. On wide open road, I don't mind this so much, but in traffic, I feel like ACC requires more effort to drive than just driving manually.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I too am having a problem where it feels like the car wants to hug the right line on lane centering mode. (ACC on, blue bubbles around car in dash console.)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it were hugging the left lane line but hugging the right lane line makes me feel like i might clip another car. On wide open road, I don't mind this so much, but in traffic, I feel like ACC requires more effort to drive than just driving manually.
Did you try to reposition to where you want it?

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
What you described does not sound like lane centering. It sounds like lane keep assist.

The car should not bounce back and forth like a ping pong.

First, you should verify the lane centering light is green. If it is grey, it may be on but inactive. Green means active.

Next, be advised you can override the lane centering to make it hold a different position in the lane. If you provide steering input to move the car to a spot in the lane, the car will continue to hold that spot in the lane the best it can. If you override the lane centering by steering it toward the right or left if where it wanted to go, you have essentially "reset" the position it wants to hold. This allows you to adjust the way the car drives if you notice it hugging the right or left side of the lane.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lane Keeping - not sure I'm a fan Screenshot_20210523-044905
It adjusts based on my input?!? This explains so much! I couldn’t figure out why sometimes it seemed like it wanted to stay right or left, but wasn’t consistent. Thanks so much! I thought I read the entire manual, but there’s often something important tucked into a sentence nested within the italics (like this) that makes it easy to miss!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
It’s easy to tell which system is active. If you have two parallel green, gray, or red bars alongside your car on the IP, you have lane KEEPING on. If your car is surrounded by a blue bubble (trekkies call this “shields up” ?), you have lane CENTERING on.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you try to reposition to where you want it?
didn't even know i could. So, to correct it, I'm supposed to fight it and then it will eventually realize that I'm right? :)

But still, why is it starting on the right edge of the lane?

Last edited:

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag

Same for me. I have the bubble but still hugs the right. Somebody honked at me today.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So, to correct it, I'm supposed to fight it and then it will eventually realize that I'm right? :)
This is correct. It’s the exact opposite of marriage.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It’s easy to tell which system is active. If you have two parallel green, gray, or red bars alongside your car on the IP, you have lane KEEPING on. If your car is surrounded by a blue bubble (trekkies call this “shields up” ?), you have lane CENTERING on.
Is it possible to just have lane keeping on while in cruise control and turn off lane centering like I can in our Edge? I like lane keeping, but never been a huge fan of the centering. Its not any better in the MMe than the Edge. :(
Sponsored