intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
I haven't done ceramic or wax on car yet. Just got the car. Trying to figure out which way I want to go. Either way I will be doing it myself so want a easy to apply either way. Never used ceramic before so not sure I would do it right. I do have a Ryobi buffer so wax would be easier and used wax before.
What ever works for you!

I wanted the least maintenance possible and was happy to front load with effort not allowing the dealer to wash the car and then performing a full decontamination before applying the graphene.

I have a polisher/buffer. I only use it when necessary to remove scratches/swirls as the mindset to keeping the car swirl free is to not ”touch” except where needed. The clear coat has to be protected at all costs.
Sponsored

doogie63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
What ever works for you!

I wanted the least maintenance possible and was happy to front load with effort not allowing the dealer to wash the car and then performing a full decontamination before applying the graphene.

I have a polisher/buffer. I only use it when necessary to remove scratches/swirls as the mindset to keeping the car swirl free is to not ”touch” except where needed. The clear coat has to be protected at all costs.
What all steps did you take? What the graphene as easy as using wax? I would like to use a easy apply ceramic but like I said I don't have any experience with ceramic. To have professional done cost like 1k. Which means a lot of work. If that much work then I would think to hard for me. But I have seen some videos where they wash the car, dry and then just spray on small section at a time. That doesn't look to hard. I just don't want to mess up new car.

Kismit

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium ER RWD IBSM ordered 11/6
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
What all steps did you take? What the graphene as easy as using wax? I would like to use a easy apply ceramic but like I said I don't have any experience with ceramic. To have professional done cost like 1k. Which means a lot of work. If that much work then I would think to hard for me. But I have seen some videos where they wash the car, dry and then just spray on small section at a time. That doesn't look to hard. I just don't want to mess up new car.
I'm a girl who has NEVER done ceramic or even polished a car before. I washed, clay bar, polished, then ceramic coated. Took me FOREVER because I kept looking up info because I had no idea what I was doing. It's so shiny and the after the insane amounts of rain I can say the hydrophobic properties are amazing. I

OP
OP

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
For most quotes, the coating costs are not usually very high for the coating product used or the labor to apply it.

Rather the costs appear high because of the decontaminating the paint/glass and polishing out any swirls introduced by poor washing/drying techniques required as a prerequisite. This takes a long time compared to the coating step.

Steps I took:

1) Instructed the dealer NOT to wash the car, NOT to remove the paint protection shipping covers, etc. You DO NOT want “Dealer Installed Swirl Marks” on your brand new car. Having to polish a brand new car is simply ridiculous!!!

2) Washed the car using two bucket wash technique with foamer, micro fiber mitts and very small surface area cleaned per mitt dunk (car was filthy traveling by rail from factory). I changed the rinse bucket water 4 times! Dry car with small diameter, low velocity water stream (sheeting rinse) then air blower (I use a Stihl leaf blower with allergy filters over the intake to stop particles).

3) Used iron remover spray to rid the surface and wheels of iron filings kicked up by train transport.

4) Decontamination via clay (sap, tar, etc.). Clay bar or brand new clay mitt (nano skin) is fine. Care has to be taken with clay lubricant so as not to scratch or mark up the clear coat.

These steps plus polishing out swirls in the clear coat is what a professional detailer would be charging for in addition to the coating step.

5) 20% Alcohol spray/wipe with plush borderless towels to remove any residue.

6) Coat with graphene (includes using UV light to remove any high spots). Wipe off after flashing.

Is coating itself harder than wax? I would say it’s twice as hard with the UV light. Four times as hard without. If you end up with high spots you must polish them out. NO FUN!

Coating goes on as a cross hatch in approximately a 2’-3’ square area at a time. You have to wait for about 5 minutes (temperature dependent) and then remove immediately after it flashes.

Would I attempt this as a first timer on my brand new Mach E? HELL NO! You need to practice on other cars first. Have any leased or beater vehicles?

I have perfected my detailing skills over the last 15 years so this is not a big deal to me. It’s SOP for removing swirls and protecting the paint going forward on any vehicles I acquire.

Why do I do this (as you can read, this is a lot of work!)?

Maintenance washes turn Into mostly a hose it off and hit it with the air dryer then done scenario. And it looks freaking awesome for years!

NOTE: DO NOT even bother unless you plan on using a 2 bucket wash technique! It pains me to see people wash their cars with dirty water! That‘s basically sandpaper causing those lovely swirls!

OP
OP

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
Quick Waterless wash didn’t do tires/wheels ….hadn’t washed her for a month due to storms etc

she shines with zero effort
Ford Mustang Mach-E Latest Graphene from Adam’s Polishes DB97490E-A22C-45B0-B4E3-70C2E700ADE9
What brand of waterless wash?

I use waterless wash with a 10 to 1 dilution as a Clay Bar lubricant.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I haven't done ceramic or wax on car yet. Just got the car. Trying to figure out which way I want to go. Either way I will be doing it myself so want a easy to apply either way. Never used ceramic before so not sure I would do it right. I do have a Ryobi buffer so wax would be easier and used wax before.
I chose ceramic due to the very high levels of UV light in Hawaii which require frequent reapplication of wax.

I had the Mach-e professionally done but did our fully restored Jeep Wrangler myself using Avalon King’s Armor IX and following their instructions. As mentioned, prep is key. A very good washing, including fallout/iron remover and stripping any wax the dealer may have used. Then a good clay bar treatment (I used synthetic) then some mild polish color correction. It’s time consuming but well worth it in my opinion.

Jeep, Post coating.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Latest Graphene from Adam’s Polishes 1674577838771

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I use Collinite 845, without a flashlight or egg beater. A bottle cost me under $20 like 8 years ago, and it is still 1/2 full despite 2 vehicles, one a truck. Water beads up for over a year. It isn't fire proof, nor radioactive. I think much of this ceramic craze is simply marketing bs.
Eggbeater? Good grief! Next thing you know, you guys will be breaking out the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for car care 😀😀😀

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I chose ceramic due to the very high levels of UV light in Hawaii which require frequent reapplication of wax.

I had the Mach-e professionally done but did our fully restored Jeep Wrangler myself using Avalon King’s Armor IX and following their instructions. As mentioned, prep is key. A very good washing, including fallout/iron remover and stripping any wax the dealer may have used. Then a good clay bar treatment (I used synthetic) then some mild polish color correction. It’s time consuming but well worth it in my opinion.

Jeep, Post coating.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Latest Graphene from Adam’s Polishes 1674577838771
Presumably, it is permanently stored in a class 10,000 clean room, and you have to wear a bunny suit to get near it?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I should be clear - I have mad respect for the amount of effort @Kamuelaflyer put into his jeep and the amazing results - hence my tongue in cheek comment. I can’t believe it’s parked outside where it might be subject to an errant bird strike! 😱

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I should be clear - I have mad respect for the amount of effort @Kamuelaflyer put into his jeep and the amazing results - hence my tongue in cheek comment. I can’t believe it’s parked outside where it might be subject to an errant bird strike! 😱
Better a bird strike on the Jeep than a P&W JT9D ingesting one. 😎

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Better a bird strike on the Jeep than a P&W JT9D ingesting one. 😎
Been there, done that (as to the latter). Definitely not fun. Loud, things go bang, yellow lights come on, sometimes red lights come on and alarms starting clanging and Bixxxxx Betty starts saying things you don’t want to hear. Oh then there’s paperwork to file. Most of the time you don’t even know though until the company asks why you didn’t file a bird strike report. I’ll take the bird strike on the Jeep any day. ;)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Been there, done that (as to the latter). Definitely not fun. Loud, things go bang, yellow lights come on, sometimes red lights come on and alarms starting clanging and Bixxxxx Betty starts saying things you don’t want to hear. Oh then there’s paperwork to file. Most of the time you don’t even know though until the company asks why you didn’t file a bird strike report. I’ll take the bird strike on the Jeep any day. ;)
Is that when you rudely interrupt the drink service by telling the FAs to take their seats? I hate that! One of my few joys of flying is that offer of a beverage followed by the snack basket 😀
Sponsored