Car41
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE Shadow Black
Occupation
Sheep Dog
Country flag
Sorry if already asked and answered...I remember seeing a post that indicated using other brands of home chargers, "voided" the warranty? True?
Recommendations for level 2 chargers, lower end of price spectrum
Thanks all!
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I don’t see how an EVSE of another brand than Ford can void your warranty. If so, I voided mine the day I got it home. đŸ˜±đŸ©

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
no, an EVSE is just a plug with some extra comms wires, there is nothing unique about the connection from wall to car. when you plug it in, other than the comms connection, at 240 its Hot Hot Ground from the wall passing through a contactor on the EVSE. The only thing different is the comms, but its standard comms for the standard plug.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
As others said, using a 3rd party EVSE can't void the warranty. The charger itself is on the car, the EVSE just acts as a gatekeeper to electricity supply from your home.

There are plenty of threads on popular L2 chargers. I use a ChargePoint Home Flex, previously had a Juicebox 40, and I see many with the Grizzl-e chargers. I would say those three seem to be the most common.

Don't use the Ford mobile charger for daily use as your home L2 charger, it just isn't built for daily work like that.

Lastly, check with your home electric provider for possible rebates on the EVSE and maybe the electrical work. We got $500 from ours for buying an EVSE and switching to time of use rate plan. Paid for most of the ChargePoint and selling the Juicebox paid for the rest.

khbkhb

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Stromer ST-1, Cattrike, Mazda CX9
Occupation
Computer Geek
Country flag
ditto what others said about what an EVSE is (and isn't ;>). We call them chargers, but they aren't. We rather like the wallbox (https://wallbox.com). The hardwired version provides the max amps, the app and web access is nice. If we ever had a need for a second, two (or more) wallbox units can communicate with each other to manage the load (so potentially even on the same circuit).

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
As others said, using a 3rd party EVSE can't void the warranty. The charger itself is on the car, the EVSE just acts as a gatekeeper to electricity supply from your home.

There are plenty of threads on popular L2 chargers. I use a ChargePoint Home Flex, previously had a Juicebox 40, and I see many with the Grizzl-e chargers. I would say those three seem to be the most common.

Don't use the Ford mobile charger for daily use as your home L2 charger, it just isn't built for daily work like that.

Lastly, check with your home electric provider for possible rebates on the EVSE and maybe the electrical work. We got $500 from ours for buying an EVSE and switching to time of use rate plan. Paid for most of the ChargePoint and selling the Juicebox paid for the rest.
And I assume the 30% federal tax break still exists (I haven’t really kept up on the crazy changes to legislation happening this year). My accountant submitted for 2021 against the total cost, EVSE, labor, conduit, wire, etc.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I recommend two things first of all ChargePoint never had a problem with any of mine and I have two 240s in my garage. One of the charge points is almost 4 years old. The functions on the app are great works fantastic with the little electric pony.

Second recommendation is put the Ford charger in your Frunk ,cuddling with the chilled shrimp and or hot wings 
and only use it in desperation situations. It’s a little pussy willow ladybug device that doesn’t like to get hot or bumped or bent. Use accordingly.

Jes sayin.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am not familiar with all the types but I think you can go with a “dumb” EVSE which comes at a lower price or “smart” EVSE which cost a bit more. The car can control charging so it is up to you what addition information you may like.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
And I assume the 30% federal tax break still exists (I haven’t really kept up on the crazy changes to legislation happening this year). My accountant submitted for 2021 against the total cost, EVSE, labor, conduit, wire, etc.
My understanding is that the inflation reduction act brought back this credit, code 30C. I also am hoping to put the whole nema install and EVSE as the total cost. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/30C

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
My understanding is that the inflation reduction act brought back this credit, code 30C. I also am hoping to put the whole nema install and EVSE as the total cost. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/30C
You might be disappointed. That language seems to exclude installation at the primary residence in a way that the original credit did not.

Consult with your accountant/tax preparer.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
And I assume the 30% federal tax break still exists
You assume incorrectly.

You linked to the old code. This is the last line:

(g) Termination
This section shall not apply to any property placed in service after December 31, 2021.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag

I started with the 40A Alpha EVSE...worked great, had a neat LCD control panel, and is made in Canada. But...it shut down every time the ambient temp exceeded 90°F, which I can't use in the current heat wave I'm experiencing (all-time record of 110°F yesterday)...something somebody in Canada wouldn't have thought of. So I switched to a 40A Autel Maxicharge, built in Vietnam, but designed by Autel in Arizona...the hottest state in the USA.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You might be disappointed. That language seems to exclude installation at the primary residence in a way that the original credit did not.

Consult with your accountant/tax preparer.
You assume incorrectly.

(g) Termination
This section shall not apply to any property placed in service after December 31, 2021.
Yes, I linked the old code. Because I thought it was re-instated when I read a summary of the IRA. It turns out OWG is correct, I was only partially right. It is brought back but is now only available to neighborhoods or urban areas defined as "low income". Even though it makes me ineligible, I feel it is a good thing to enable more mass EV adoption. I will take the L on this one for the greater good.

https://www.foley.com/en/insights/publications/2022/08/ev-charging-station-tax-credits-are-back

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
You assume incorrectly.

(g) Termination
Figured it would go away like many other incentives. Glad I took the EV plunge when I did. I’m convinced the Fed (and even many States like NYS) doesn’t really want increased EV adoption. Throughout history, products do not become “more affordable” until they reach mass production. And you can’t get there without those early adopters (that can afford them) buying them in the beginning. The first cars, TVs, microwaves, cell phones, etc. All of these items were for the “rich” when they first came out. And if the “rich” didn’t buy them, the manufacturers wouldn’t have the capital to make them available to the whole population as quickly. EVs have been around for a long time and they are still much more expensive than their ICE counterparts because the internal combustion engine can be made ridiculously cheap now. Why would someone in a low income community buy an EV that costs $20k more than its ICE counterpart, just because of a $7,500 tax incentive. Families in these communities are earning probably less than $48k-$50k total, wouldn’t even have the tax liability to get the full $7,500 and sure as shit aren’t considering buying a $45k-$55k vehicle before food, clothing, rent, etc.

Ok, too early to be on a soap box

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
If there's no wifi access at the parking spot (i.e. in a parking garage), is there a reason to get a smart charger? Are there any other benefits? Or would a dumb charger be better?
Sponsored