Level 3 charging database (Google sheets)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nice. What are you trying to learn from this database? Do you want information on where and what company and brand of charger is used? How about max charging rate?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Nice. What are you trying to learn from this database? Do you want information on where and what company and brand of charger is used? How about max charging rate?
Last column

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I saw this too but it’s burried in a tread. Charging curve database would be difficult to build. Ultimately we would need a charging curve with different temperature. It will probably will be useful for him too.

At then end I would like to see what I have for my Kona than some members built using a couple of months of data. Manufacturers should provide that information (as well as battery temperature) to avoid frustration.

115AE1CF-D152-4E42-8266-C308507E76E6.png

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I saw this too but it’s burried in a tread. Charging curve database would be difficult to build. Ultimately we would need a charging curve with different temperature. It will probably will be useful for him too.

At then end I would like to see what I have for my Kona than some members built using a couple of months of data. Manufacturers should provide that information (as well as battery temperature) to avoid frustration.

115AE1CF-D152-4E42-8266-C308507E76E6.png
Is there a version in English? My French is poor (nonexistent) and all I can tell is it takes longer to charge if the battery gets hotter?

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Is there a version in English? My French is poor (nonexistent) and all I can tell is it takes longer to charge if the battery gets hotter?
It's the opposite. To get maximum charge rate in a Kona/Soul/Niro, your battery must be over 25C (77F) and your SOC under 58%. We must get those data for the Mach-E and be able to pre-condition the battery like Telsa.

I made the test a month ago and even after 1h of highway driving, my battery was at only between 5 and 10C (41-50F). Therefore, I was charging under 42 kW. Probably it would have get to 20-25C after 15-20 minutes charging but you don't want to pay to heat your battery, you want to pay to charge fast! I'm under the impression that the Mach-E battery is very conservative when it's cold and will not allow fast charging speed until 15-20 minutes charging, maybe more to get to the max speed. I can see the battery temp in my Kona with a dedicated screen (see my OBD-II thread)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's the opposite. To get maximum charge rate in a Kona/Soul/Niro, your battery must be over 25C (77F) and your SOC under 58%. We must get those data for the Mach-E and be able to pre-condition the battery like Telsa.

I made the test a month ago and even after 1h of highway driving, my battery was at only between 5 and 10C (41-50F). Therefore, I was charging under 42 kW. Probably it would have get to 20-25C after 15-20 minutes charging but you don't want to pay to heat your battery, you want to pay to charge fast! I'm under the impression that the Mach-E battery is very conservative when it's cold and will not allow fast charging speed until 15-20 minutes charging, maybe more to get to the max speed. I can see the battery temp in my Kona with a dedicated screen (see my OBD-II thread)
Are you saying that the Mustang Mach e does not precondition the battery? That it doesn’t heat the battery, if necessary, to optimize charging?

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Are you saying that the Mustang Mach e does not precondition the battery? That it doesn’t heat the battery, if necessary, to optimize charging?
Not for now. Either we need an option to turn it on or do like Tesla and prepare automatically when a level 3 charging station is set in the GPS

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Not for now. Either we need an option to turn it on or do like Tesla and prepare automatically when a level 3 charging station is set in the GPS
I’m surprised. They’ve made such a big deal about how they benchmarked against Tesla. This would seem to be something obvious. I wonder if it’s something that can be handled via an OTA?

is it possible they don’t precondition the battery because that process consumes a lot of energy and, if you’re headed to an L3 charging station, you are already low on charge?

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I’m surprised. They’ve made such a big deal about how they benchmarked against Tesla. This would seem to be something obvious. I wonder if it’s something that can be handled via an OTA?

is it possible they don’t precondition the battery because that process consumes a lot of energy and, if you’re headed to an L3 charging station, you are already low on charge?
You not necessarly low. And of course the car would manage itself by taking in account your battery level and the distance to charger. Of course it takes energy but you can it back back charging quicker when you plug you car instead of waiting the battery to heat.

I'm pretty sure it will be an OTA before long. Ford is probably collecting the charging data of the first owners and they will adjust.
Sponsored