pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
As always, I love to see smart people coming up with good ideas. The hurdle from good idea to viable product is usually a very high one though. We'll see how quickly any of these types of battery improvements actually go large scale commercial. Since batteries are so much more in demand these days, I would think some breakthroughs will be coming and be commercially viable some time this decade. Batteries that accept very fast charging will be the "holy grail" of EV's and would probably push ICE cars into a niche status.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As always, I love to see smart people coming up with good ideas. The hurdle from good idea to viable product is usually a very high one though. We'll see how quickly any of these types of battery improvements actually go large scale commercial. Since batteries are so much more in demand these days, I would think some breakthroughs will be coming and be commercially viable some time this decade. Batteries that accept very fast charging will be the "holy grail" of EV's and would probably push ICE cars into a niche status.
Exactly. If they can get refueling safely down under 5 minutes (full charge), that would move BEVs from like a 30% market share ceiling to 80%.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The nice thing about this one is when Nobel-Laureates release another discovery, they tend to get attention within industry.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Watched a YouTube about this a few months ago. Just one of many "possible" future battery ideas. Using graphene is another. So many ideas, but there's a huge gap between "possible" and becoming a viable commercial product.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by "production gaps". As I understand it, there's no production yet. It's only in the lab stage right now. Like many other ideas. Long way to go to prove whether it's really viable for mass production in vehicles.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I didn't get the impression it was even remotely close to that point yet. Sounded more like it was one of the numerous next generation battery ideas being played with in the lab. Most of them prove not to be viable. And when one does, it's usually a 5+ year timeframe before we see it in mass production. Tons of designing, testing, refining, and proving needs to take place. Especially for a usage like an automobile.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
I didn't get the impression it was even remotely close to that point yet. Sounded more like it was one of the numerous next generation battery ideas being played with in the lab. Most of them prove not to be viable. And when one does, it's usually a 5+ year timeframe before we see it in mass production. Tons of designing, testing, refining, and proving needs to take place. Especially for a usage like an automobile.
Concur, yet worth the efforts.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
BYD China makes more EV batteries than all of the four that you listed.
Sponsored