Lightfoot Larry: Far Exceeding Ford's Official Range in my 2022 GT (non-PE) 2 Weeks In

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I've had my 2022 GT (non-PE) for two weeks, and am loving it (of course). Most of my driving has been either very local or a mix of local and highways, both in traffic and not. The official EPA range of the 2022 Mustang Mach-E GT is, per Ford, 270 miles, which corresponds (given the 91 kWh battery) to an average approx. mi/kWh of 2.97. My average for trips of any length is more like 3.5 mi/kWh, which would make my projected range more than 318 miles on a full charge, a 16+% improvement over EPA.

I suspect that, beyond the nicely warm weather that's probably at (if not a bit above) ideal battery conditions and staying largely on flat Long Island, what has most contributed to my efficient driving is having spent the past 7 years driving plug-in hybrids (a Ford C-MAX Energi and then a Chrysler Pacifica as my main vehicles) where keeping a very light foot to maintain highway cruising speed meant I could drive electric as much as possible, rather than causing the ICE to kick in to boost acceleration. I find myself keeping my MME in Unbridled mode, which allows me to feather the pedal to maintain good highway speed. I think Unbridled also helps efficiency by having stronger regen than do the other modes (I prefer not to drive with 1PD turned on), which again I'm used to managing coming from PHEVs. 7 years of getting Ford's braking scores in my C-MAX mean that I use the friction brakes as little as possible; there's that light foot again. I'm not hypermiling, and I typically drive in the left or center highway lanes. (I'll leave it to the imagination what my typical speed is, except to say that I prefer not to attract the attention of either frustrated drivers or police officers.)

I'll have to see what happens on longer, more mountainous trips, and certainly I don't expect this kind of efficiency come colder weather, but I have been *very* pleasantly surprised by how much projected range I have with this 480 HP beast. As is frequently the case with the MME, it seems that Ford has underpromised and overdelivered when it comes to the GT's range. {Jonathan}
Sponsored

OP
OP
JonathanEzor

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Warm weather and city

go drive on highway at the speed limit and watch the average drop drop drop to 2.5 or lower
Actually, one of the trips I've done included a jaunt up into the hills of Rockland County, NY, with many miles of full-speed highway runs at (or near) the speed limit. Still averaged ~3.3 mi/kWh. {Jonathan}

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
not driving as much highway explains it and also being able to coast with the way you use one pedal too. more regen is not always efficient. i can't coast very well in 1pedal, its a fine line between regen and acceleration.

jamelski

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE
Country flag
Actually, one of the trips I've done included a jaunt up into the hills of Rockland County, NY, with many miles of full-speed highway runs at (or near) the speed limit. Still averaged ~3.3 mi/kWh. {Jonathan}
At of near speed limits 🤦‍♂️ Go drive 50 miles at 65 normal sped limit and watch it drop go 70 and watch it more go 80 and get 1.5 😂

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I drive my car in a manner that pleases me. I regularly see ~2.4-2.7 for my efficiency, but I'm admittedly the opposite of the title. If I wanted to drive slowly, I would have gotten an ID4 or something.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I drive my car in a manner that pleases me. I regularly see ~2.4-2.7 for my efficiency, but I'm admittedly the opposite of the title. If I wanted to drive slowly, I would have gotten an ID4 or something.
That big ol’ piece of metal your front bumper used to have in it must have really messe dwith your car’s efficiency. 🤪🐩 <Runs and hides>

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I've had my 2022 GT (non-PE) for two weeks, and am loving it (of course). Most of my driving has been either very local or a mix of local and highways, both in traffic and not. The official EPA range of the 2022 Mustang Mach-E GT is, per Ford, 270 miles, which corresponds (given the 91 kWh battery) to an average approx. mi/kWh of 2.97. My average for trips of any length is more like 3.5 mi/kWh, which would make my projected range more than 318 miles on a full charge, a 16+% improvement over EPA.

I suspect that, beyond the nicely warm weather that's probably at (if not a bit above) ideal battery conditions and staying largely on flat Long Island, what has most contributed to my efficient driving is having spent the past 7 years driving plug-in hybrids (a Ford C-MAX Energi and then a Chrysler Pacifica as my main vehicles) where keeping a very light foot to maintain highway cruising speed meant I could drive electric as much as possible, rather than causing the ICE to kick in to boost acceleration. I find myself keeping my MME in Unbridled mode, which allows me to feather the pedal to maintain good highway speed. I think Unbridled also helps efficiency by having stronger regen than do the other modes (I prefer not to drive with 1PD turned on), which again I'm used to managing coming from PHEVs. 7 years of getting Ford's braking scores in my C-MAX mean that I use the friction brakes as little as possible; there's that light foot again. I'm not hypermiling, and I typically drive in the left or center highway lanes. (I'll leave it to the imagination what my typical speed is, except to say that I prefer not to attract the attention of either frustrated drivers or police officers.)

I'll have to see what happens on longer, more mountainous trips, and certainly I don't expect this kind of efficiency come colder weather, but I have been *very* pleasantly surprised by how much projected range I have with this 480 HP beast. As is frequently the case with the MME, it seems that Ford has underpromised and overdelivered when it comes to the GT's range. {Jonathan}
I've had my 2022 GT since early March and driven about 3000 miles on it. My average for that entire period is 3.0 miles/kWh. This is in hilly San Francisco (I live on a 25% grade) and my driving has been a mix of streets and highways - my guess is probably 50/50. I used to watch the efficiency and worry about range, but not at all anymore. I just drive.

FWIW however, I've not yet done a road trip long enough to need to charge along the way. I know I'll be much more range-focused when I do.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag

I have had my GT for just a couple of weeks. But I too am very surprised by the mi/kWh I am getting. I have a 2021 ID4 RWD and my winter efficiency was like 2.8 mi/kWh and this summer I am getting 3.7-4.1 mi/kWh with mix of hiway and backroads on my daily 50 mile commute.

My first two commute drives with the GT I got 3.7 mi/kWh and I was blue cruise at 68 mph for about 30 miles on the hiway. But today I was late for a meeting and I drove 85mph average with a few 100+mph bursts and I rolled into the garage at work at 3.3 mi/kWh on my 50 mile drive. Wow! I double checked with charging back to my starting 80% and I added 15.2Kw so that checks out. So really impressive especially for my somewhat crazy driving this morning. Admittedly just 280 miles on the car. So early days.

OP
OP
JonathanEzor

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At of near speed limits 🤦‍♂️ Go drive 50 miles at 65 normal sped limit and watch it drop go 70 and watch it more go 80 and get 1.5 😂
"Near" doesn't necessarily mean *below*. {Jonathan}

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Now that western WA has finally gotten to summer, my GT has been getting 260-270 miles range, the best since I got it last winter. When I drive slower, I get closer to 4.1 m/kwh or better.
Sponsored