Lights will not turn off after car locks. Lights are always in Auto setting.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
This happened about a week ago and again today. I was in my office and someone comes in and tells me that the headlights and taillights on the Mach-E are on in the parking lot. I went out and sure enough, the lights are on. I unlocked then relocked the car, waiting a few seconds and they went out. Today I went to lunch and parked right out front and sat down at a booth and looked out and the lights are on again. Clearly it is locked because the mirrors folded. I kept my eye on it and the lights eventually turned off after about 5-10 minutes. I thought maybe it was because I couldn't have been more than 15 feet from the car and it was picking up my phone. Then tonight my wife drove the car to her dance lesson, and someone came in about 20 minutes after she arrived and told her that her lights were on. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lights will not turn off after car locks. Lights are always in Auto setting. 1637118533069
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Check the headlamp switch near your left knee. It should have an indicator light in the Auto position.

If it isn't lit up at all, you're experiencing the headlamp switch problem that many others have experienced, too. Myself included.

Simply rotate the switch back to Auto.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yup had the same issue a couple days ago with the switch not having an indicator showing.

You should see a little orange light that indicates what is selected.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yeah, the usual fix for stuff nowadays just to reboot it. In this case go to off then back to auto. If that doesn’t work, off to the dealer. They get paid to scratch their heads about odd things. Good luck.

Last edited:

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here is a video of the issue so you can see.. Although I'm sure you figrued it out by now. Like I said, I had this issue for the second time a few days ago so I recorded it to show the dealer when I take it in.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
There's no fix for this currently and dealers tell you to pound sand because they can't ever replicate it...even with a video showing the issue they just don't seem to care. Plus even if they could there just isn't a fix now. My guess is it'll either be solved by an update to the BCM or replacing the headlight switch with an updated version.

There is an as built data setting in the BCM to force the headlight switch to always revert to last position if you're one of those weird people that like to manually control it. Personally I like the always to auto feature as that is what I would use it in anyways.

OP
OP
shark

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
So I guess now the routine to exit the car and not worry about a dead battery is to look to see if the headlight indicator is on, if not rotate the switch to get indicator to turn on, rotate switch back to auto, then turn off the car and exit vehicle. Awesome

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
So I guess now the routine to exit the car and not worry about a dead battery is to look to see if the headlight indicator is on, if not rotate the switch to get indicator to turn on, rotate switch back to auto, then turn off the car and exit vehicle. Awesome
It doesn't have to be that stressful.

When you turn off the vehicle and then open the door, if you hear the "doo-dee-doo" tones then your headlights might be ON instead of Auto. Check the switch.

When you open the door to enter the vehicle, if you hear the doo-dee-doo, then your headlights might be ON instead of Auto. Check the switch.

Also, the vehicle has a "battery saver" that will turn off the headlights after awhile to prevent the battery from depleting too far.

THXDIAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VOLVO XC90 T8, MUSTANG GT CONV
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
Check the headlamp switch near your left knee. It should have an indicator light in the Auto position.

If it isn't lit up at all, you're experiencing the headlamp switch problem that many others have experienced, too. Myself included.

Simply rotate the switch back to Auto.
GTPE. Worked for me. I was getting the 12V battery error message. I rotated the headlights switch to Auto. Corrected the headlights staying on for extended time and no more 12V battery message. Just thought of this... this should be included in the new MachE dealer sales rep delivery walk thru!

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
Also having this issue in my GTPE and I think its not a small issue.
The headlights stay on for a very long time - seems that the headlight switch resets itself off of Auto and then needs to be manually put back there...assuming you realize it.
In addition to draining battery, its pretty inconvenient for everyone around who is worried someone left their lights on and is trying to be helpful and let you know.
Maybe in the grand scheme of issues cars can have its not massive, but its actually quite inconvenient and noticeable and hopefully Ford is paying attention and can fix this.

@Ford Motor Company - that comment was for you!

Ro4dR4ge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
funny, i had the same issue originally. Headlights stayed on when parked. I read somewhere that if you push or pull (cant remember, it was a while ago) the turn signal lever on the left of the steering column, it disengages the headlight switch. Worked for me.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Will be resolved in November 2022 when replacement part is available.

SSM 50869 - 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes, this happens occasionally to my car, too. When the lights stay on there is a continual beeping when the car is turned off, so once I figured out what the beeping meant it was easy to turn the lights back to automatic. There is another thread on this topic.

FarSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type '70 Vet, Outback Onyx, '04 Wrangler
Country flag
This bullshit is now happening to me and I just picked up my car. I have only moved my lights to parking lights once, otherwise the stay on auto unless it magically disappears like in the video above. The headlight switch disabled and lights staying on has now happened 4 times. I really don’t need any 12 Volt stressors. Now I have to update the worry cheat sheet for the wife with a new item.
Sponsored