Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am sure this has been answered, but my searches failed me.

I am headed to a different house tomorrow that has a 14-50 plug that I had put in. My intention is to use the mobile charger. However, the electrician that installed it put a 30A breaker on it. He is supposed to come out and fix it tomorrow or the next day.

if the electrician doesn’t show, can I use the mobile charger with this setup? Is there a way to tell the car to limit the charge rate to stay within the 30A breaker limit? The wire gauge is correct for a 50A.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Unfortunately there isn't a way to limit the charge rate of the mobile charger (or any "dumb" charger) via the Mach-E itself.

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
I am sure this has been answered, but my searches failed me.

I am headed to a different house tomorrow that has a 14-50 plug that I had put in. My intention is to use the mobile charger. However, the electrician that installed it put a 30A breaker on it. He is supposed to come out and fix it tomorrow or the next day.

if the electrician doesn’t show, can I use the mobile charger with this setup? Is there a way to tell the car to limit the charge rate to stay within the 30A breaker limit? The wire gauge is correct for a 50A.
You should call him back. That ought to be completely against code.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You should call him back. That ought to be completely against code.
It's a poor installation, but generally speaking, nothing in the NEC disallows protecting a circuit below its rating because it doesn't make the installation unsafe. The worst thing that can happen is that the breaker trips - which it will if he tries to use the FMC.
Sponsored