Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, given that the Changan Ford joint venture is solely for the manufacture of Ford branded products for the Chinese market, this article merely indicates that they are looking to build a hybrid for the Chinese market that uses the BYD batteries.
Hybrids and BEVs no doubt.
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Hybrids and BEVs no doubt.
I agree that’s likely what will happen, although the document this article relies on only addresses a new hybrid model.
In any event, the fact that the joint venture Ford’s had in China for eight years would use locally sourced batteries for its Chinese products is hardly surprising, and I wouldn’t read it as an indication that it must affect other models or that it’s a trend for greater dependence on Chinese products.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree that’s likely what will happen, although the document this article relies on only addresses a new hybrid model.
In any event, the fact that the joint venture Ford’s had in China for eight years would use locally sourced batteries for its Chinese products is hardly surprising, and I wouldn’t read it as an indication that it must affect other models or that it’s a trend for greater dependence on Chinese products.
Good points by you and the others. I hadn't though about it potentially being just for vehicles manufactured and sold for the Chinese market.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Good points by you and the others. I hadn't though about it potentially being just for vehicles manufactured and sold for the Chinese market.
"Keep it in the family" is the phrase that comes to mind any time I read news about China with respect to any business ventures.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford batteries to come from Korea.

LG ChemGeneral Motors: Chevrolet Volt Gen 1, Gen 2, Chevy Spark, Chevy Bolt, Cadillac ELR
Groupe Renault: Renault ZOE, Renault Twizy
Hyundai: Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Ford Motor Company: Ford Focus Electric, Ford Mustang Mach-E
Volvo Cars:[12][13] Volvo S60 II, Volvo V60,[14] Volvo XC90 II,[15] Volvo S90/V90 II[16]
19954.5 (2017)Yeslithium-ionYes
From a Korean company. But they have plants all over the world. Including the US.

The Mach-e batteries are actually made at the LG Chem plant in Wroclaw, Poland.