List of Good Installers in Colorado Springs?

SpringsMarty

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I have had a rather shabby hack of an EVSE setup that has served me well for years but was always temporary. I am now looking at getting a professional installation to a pedestal next to the driveway where I park. The installation will involve a service upgrade (100 amps to 200 amps), bringing a 60 amp line down the entire length of the garage, trenching under the wall to the pedestal, then installing the pedastal.

Ford recommends Qmerit but their terms and conditions make it crystal clear that they do not stand behind their recommended installers. At this point, I am considering closing my eyes and playing internet roulette with local installers. This is a big enough purchase that I would rather be a bit more proactive.

Does this forum have lists of reputable installers?

Marty

Ford Mustang Mach-E List of Good Installers in Colorado Springs? FE078FAD-CCDE-4344-ACE8-4D9449A91833
Sponsored

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Marty, Lenz Electric in COS installed the circuit, cable and 14-50 plug for my Ford mobile charger in my garage. They did a great job even though never having installed an EV charger.

I recommend selecting an IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) union shop and/or NECA (National Electrical Contractors Association) shop. Even independent businessmen can be IBEW qualified. This will ensure the electricians are qualified to install anything electrical based on applicable codes and professional standards.

A qualified electrician and shop should be able to increase your electrical service. Note: In COS this may require paying for a permit so the regulatory bodies can log this to your home features, and so it will be inspected to ensure it meets specs.

Electricians may - and should - ask for the specifications which you can find on Ford's site. But as an example, a 14-50 plug for the mobile charger can accommodate 50 amps, so an electrician already knows the load will be between 32-40 amps, because the standard load buffer is 20% - increase 32 by 20% is 48, so the closest-sized circuit breaker is 50 amps. A 6 gauge wire is required to carry this electrical load.

Now the Ford connected charge station operates at 48 amps so with a 20% buffer (48 X .20 = 9.6. Add to 48 = 57.6) so this will require a 60 amp circuit. I am certain Lenz can do this, but others should be able to also.

All the best. Let me know who you select and their quality.