Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
July 2022 Update - Ford has since released recall 22S41 to address these failures. Since this action has occurred, I will no longer be maintaining this list. An increase in replacements is expected shortly after the recall software is installed, since the new software is able to detect preexisting damaged HVBJB's for the first time.

I've been keeping track of members with HVBJB (High Voltage Battery Junction Box) failures, I think it's time to share my list.

Criteria: Member has publicly stated their HVBJB has or will be replaced, or has had stuck contactor codes.

#UsernameDate of FailModelNote
1mikeho12/5/2021ER AWD
2titan222012/20/2021SR AWD
3dixiekidd8812/24/2021ER AWD
4Astraea1/2/2022ER AWD
5Caliroute11/4/2022GTTwo failures
6devinrachelsmom1/9/2022
7Thunderbirdsoundsbetter1/11/2022ER
8cmtaylor9631/14/2022FE
9Dhruval Shah1/17/2022FE
10DGMach-E1/24/2022AWD
11Alaskan_silent_pony1/28/2022AWD
12Sitdown1/31/2022GTPE
13cjrodriguez312/2/2022GTTwo failures
14BigMach-E2/12/2022SR AWD
15thefallenbeloved2/18/2022ER AWD
16JcMarin2/25/2022GT
17Joe Tennies2/25/2022ER AWD
18BadgerGreg2/27/2022ER AWDTwo failures
19Shayne3/15/2022ER AWD
20TRP3/15/2022ER AWD
21Capt_Everything3/31/2022GTPE
22Beowoeulf4/1/2022ER AWD
23scoopman4/3/2022GTPE
24Electric Goat4/5/2022GT
25lefortpf4/10/2022GT
26cvk714/11/2022GT
27chaifarm4/14/2022
28MadManMoon4/21/2022GTPE
29JBB_JD4/22/2022FE
30tfitzgex4/24/2022ER AWD
31AllenXS4/25/2022ER AWD
32sparky4/26/2022ER
33tek3141594/28/2022GT
34Mach-Evan5/2/2022GT
35heisnuts5/8/2022ER AWD
36Tedro75/22/2022GTPE
37VegStang5/26/2022ER AWD
38breeves0025/27/2022GTPE

Note: Failure date is approximate based on a date or timeline they said (if present) or when they first posted about the failure. Model data is also best available.

There are likely more members that also had HVBJB failures but did not post about it, or never specifically mentioned their HVBJB was replaced. It's very possible I missed a few folks too. Some people do not say much, follow up after repair, or are not very technical to convey the parts replaced.

Special mention to @Rabidsquirrel22 and @Mach_Enrique, who appear to have only their BECM replaced after a stop safely now error. They may have had a different failure, I would be interested in those VINs for details.

It's been a fairly steady rate of 1-3 failures per week since December, April was the worst month:

Ford Mustang Mach-E List of Members with HVBJB Failures 1653743935056
Sponsored

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Really wondering why some have multiple failures if incidents are still around 1%

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Wow, thank you for taking the time to create this list. It is a lot easier to see the data this way as compared to a poll. I am constantly amazed and thankful for all of the help, support and wealth of information from a lot of the forum members here. The board is so helpful it really should be part of the delivery process of any Mach E... And for more information than I could ever give you in this delivery, Mr. & Mrs. customer, I would strongly suggest you take a look at www.macheforum.com 🙂

As one who recently had this failure just under 7,000 miles (build date of December, 2021) I will say it was disappointing but I am not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the car. I think the car offers so much for the price point that I would be losing too much to throw in the towel right now. I also feel that Ford is well aware of the issues we see here and are working hard on solutions. In my case my local dealer and Ford were able to have me back on the road in ten days, which looks to be a big improvement from the early days of these failures that could take over a month to have the car back up and running.

Thankfully since I have been on this board since December, I was well aware of the issues that others have seen and was well educated on how to identify what might be going on and all the steps needed to be taken to get the car to the dealer and repaired in an expedited manner. I am very grateful to all of the forum members who have taken the time to document all of this information for everyone here. I also am grateful to Ford who was able to nudge my dealer to expedite my repair and sent out a field engineer to assist with the repair. This is one of the reasons I am not too hesitant to keep using the car even for road trips. The only things that would have me considering taking our ICE vehicle on a long trip would be if the trip would include very rural areas with no local Ford dealers and/or few charging options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Not sure if it'd be helpful, but the build date of the car (even just the month) might be nice.
Very few people mention their build date in their posts, I would have a hard time getting very far there. The poll data in the other topic will probably be better for that info.

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
My build date is 12/20, if that helps any

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I've been keeping track of members with HVBJB (High Voltage Battery Junction Box) failures, I think it's time to share my list.

April was the worst month:
Aligns with what T.S. Eliot famously wrote in “The Waste Land” when he said “April is the cruelest month…”

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well if it’s behavior related it’s possible it could happen to someone again who didn’t change behavior in how they drive or charge. But just hypothesizing since Ford hasn’t said jack squat.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Really wondering why some have multiple failures if incidents are still around 1%
TL;DR: It really hard to say based on the very limited data we have and the real-world failure rate.

Longer version
Intersting question. According to goodcarbadcar.net, as of the end of April 2022, there were at total of 37,682 Mach Es sold in the US. @Mach-Lee's list has 41 failures listed (38 cars, three of which have failed twice). By those stats, the probability of any given car failing is about 0.12%. (~1.1 in a thousand). The probability of any given car failing twice is 0.00012 % (~1.2 in a million). That would suggest that there is something besides pure randomness that might be contributing to cars failing more than once.

However we can assume that the above list is a subset of the real-world number of cars with these failures (only Ford knows that number). And depending on the actual real-world failure rate, the numbers will look different. For example, if this list represents only 10% of the actual failures, then the likelihood of failure for any given car is about 1% (~1.1 in a hundred) while the likelihood of a car failing twice is about 0.012% ~1.2 in 10,000. So if the failure rate we know of is truly substantially lower than the real world failure rate, then that would suggest that failures truly are random, and some have just twice-won the lottery no one wants to win. Given the recent post by @DevSecOps on this topic, my guess is that the real-world failure rate is much higher than 0.12%, but this is speculation on my part and I'm not asking him to comment on my post (though obviously he's welcome to).

If anyone would like to check my calculations for errors, DM me and I'll send you my simple spreadsheet.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Happy to provide any information about my car you might need for as much data as you want to collect. Build date btw is 20th of November 2020

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
TL;DR: It really hard to say based on the very limited data we have and the real-world failure rate.

Longer version
Intersting question. According to goodcarbadcar.net, as of the end of April 2022, there were at total of 37,682 Mach Es sold in the US. @Mach-Lee's list has 41 failures listed (38 cars, three of which have failed twice). By those stats, the probability of any given car failing is about 0.12%. (~1.1 in a thousand). The probability of any given car failing twice is 0.00012 % (~1.2 in a million). That would suggest that there is something besides pure randomness that might be contributing to cars failing more than once.

However we can assume that the above list is a subset of the real-world number of cars with these failures (only Ford knows that number). And depending on the actual real-world failure rate, the numbers will look different. For example, if this list represents only 10% of the actual failures, then the likelihood of failure for any given car is about 1% (~1.1 in a hundred) while the likelihood of a car failing twice is about 0.012% ~1.2 in 10,000. So if the failure rate we know of is truly substantially lower than the real world failure rate, then that would suggest that failures truly are random, and some have just twice-won the lottery no one wants to win. Given the recent post by @DevSecOps on this topic, my guess is that the real-world failure rate is much higher than 0.12%, but this is speculation on my part and I'm not asking him to comment on my post (though obviously he's welcome to).

If anyone would like to check my calculations for errors, DM me and I'll send you my simple spreadsheet.
So, I will say that I have never asked any of my sources the prevalence. To me it doesn't matter much.

Forums usually draw the complainers, problems etc. Just like a Yelp review, most people only comment when it's negative, not to say all, but a lot. I would assume that the percentage on the forum is actually higher than in the wild. When looking at the numbers here, I would suggest taking the number of members, rather than the number of those who completed the form, which would make the percentage go down even more. I haven't completed the Google docs form and it's never happened to me, as a good example.

Also, this issue has ramped up over time and it wasn't really seen until late last year. There was almost an entire year of production before this issue became more prevalent.

I don't have the exact number but I'll continue to advocate that it's very very small. That doesn't make it better, just puts things in perspective for people. I don't think anyone should worry about driving their car, just be prepared and educated for any possibility.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So, I will say that I have never asked any of my sources the prevalence. To me it doesn't matter much.

Forums usually draw the complainers, problems etc. Just like a Yelp review, most people only comment when it's negative, not to say all, but a lot. I would assume that the percentage on the forum is actually higher than in the wild. When looking at the numbers here, I would suggest taking the number of members, rather than the number of those who completed the form, which would make the percentage go down even more. I haven't completed the Google docs form and it's never happened to me, as a good example.

Also, this issue has ramped up over time and it wasn't really seen until late last year. There was almost an entire year of production before this issue became more prevalent.

I don't have the exact number but I'll continue to advocate that it's very very small. That doesn't make it better, just puts things in perspective for people. I don't think anyone should worry about driving their car, just be prepared and educated for any possibility.
I agree with your points. That's why the denominator in my calculations is the total number of cars sold (in the US), rather than on number of Forum members. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that the numbers are substantially higher than what's been reported. Rather I'm just saying that if the prevalence is as low as the numbers reported on the Forum indicate, then that actually suggests that the failures may not be purely random, but rather that there's some other factor at play that might make some cars more likely to fail than others. After I wrote my post I saw that you mention that temperature (of something, you didn't say what) is a known factor, but how I don't know...

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It seems like the ones that were unlucky enough to have it happen 3 times is more related to how they use their vehicle or some environmental factor specific to that owner. I find it really really hard to believe someone could be basically struck by lightning in the exact same spot 3 times in a row.
Sponsored