Long Road Trip - Fast Charge Faults

First Name
Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Premium, Extended Range
Country flag
First, I have really benefited from everyone's knowledge/experiences and camaraderie through the ordering experience - thank you!

Hoping someone has suggestions based on what I've experienced and also curious if this has happened to anyone else (and how it's been resolved). So far I have not received the "deep sleep" mode error, but I fear this may be related or similar (I did check my VIN on the NTHSA recall site and there are no active recalls). A little background before I share my fast charge fault issue. I have a Premium, extended range (Build date 1/8/21, took delivery 4/1) with just over 2,000 miles. I have been previously successful using an EA fast charge station and have never had fault issues using any chargers.

I set out for a long road trip this Sunday (DC area to Hilton Head, SC). Mapped out 2 fast charge pit stops and some plan B fast charge options. Stopped in Rocky Mt, NC for the first stop (EA station at the Sheetz mentioned in another post). Initiated charging through my FordPass app. Charged to 81-82% and received a fault. We had enough to get to the next destination, I didn't think too much of the fault as it was 90+ degrees and the connector was hot when I disconnected.

Arrive at the next location, another EA station in Florence, SC (Walmart). There are 4 towers here, each with 4 plugs. I plugged into all of them and received faults every time (tried initiated through FordPass app as before). There was someone using one of the stations, I even tried this one and wasn't successful. Called EA customer service, they rebooted the charger the fellow traveler had used remotely and still nothing (they even tried to start it on their end). Called my dealer, he suggested I head to the closest dealer (it's Sunday so no one is actually open, but he's using google satellite images to see if he can find a L2 charger I could access). There was one about 3 miles down the road (at the time I had 20% battery left) and I found the L2, thinking we're saved. Plugged in there until I reached 45% and the new plan was to travel to Columbia, SC to try a fast charge EVGo station (this was a detour, the other alternative was waiting longer to charge and going to Charleston, which was also not on the route). Get to the station with 8% battery and I'm faulting again (tried initiating via EVGo app & FordPass). So at this point I've confirmed there is a problem with the vehicle not being able to fast charge, not related to using an EA station.

End up getting a hotel locally and charging overnight there on an L2 and getting to my destination with 8% left. Call my dealer Monday morning and he suggests I outreach local Ford dealers to have it serviced. First available appointment (from the 2 dealers <50 miles from here) is next Tuesday in Savannah, GA. Nothing sooner and no one was sympathetic to me needing to have this fixed to return home. I am in SC on vacation through the end of next week, so if there is a "quick" fix and it's able to be diagnosed next week - great. If not, it will take days to get home if all I can use is L2.

Next, I call the customer service number we were sent with the apology related to the QA delays (now a Bronco reservation line). Waited on hold 45 minutes, connected to someone else and 45 minutes later all the help I got was - yes, bring it in, no we can't confirm you will be given a complementary rental, and here try these 2 other dealers. Frustrated to say the least, which got worse. Both of those dealers should never have been suggested - 1 was commercial and the other was not EV certified.

Anyone have similar issues with fast charging?
Sponsored

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
A recent "road trip" on YouTube of a VW id4 had similar problems and VW built the system.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
First, I have really benefited from everyone's knowledge/experiences and camaraderie through the ordering experience - thank you!

Hoping someone has suggestions based on what I've experienced and also curious if this has happened to anyone else (and how it's been resolved). So far I have not received the "deep sleep" mode error, but I fear this may be related or similar (I did check my VIN on the NTHSA recall site and there are no active recalls). A little background before I share my fast charge fault issue. I have a Premium, extended range (Build date 1/8/21, took delivery 4/1) with just over 2,000 miles. I have been previously successful using an EA fast charge station and have never had fault issues using any chargers.

I set out for a long road trip this Sunday (DC area to Hilton Head, SC). Mapped out 2 fast charge pit stops and some plan B fast charge options. Stopped in Rocky Mt, NC for the first stop (EA station at the Sheetz mentioned in another post). Initiated charging through my FordPass app. Charged to 81-82% and received a fault. We had enough to get to the next destination, I didn't think too much of the fault as it was 90+ degrees and the connector was hot when I disconnected.

Arrive at the next location, another EA station in Florence, SC (Walmart). There are 4 towers here, each with 4 plugs. I plugged into all of them and received faults every time (tried initiated through FordPass app as before). There was someone using one of the stations, I even tried this one and wasn't successful. Called EA customer service, they rebooted the charger the fellow traveler had used remotely and still nothing (they even tried to start it on their end). Called my dealer, he suggested I head to the closest dealer (it's Sunday so no one is actually open, but he's using google satellite images to see if he can find a L2 charger I could access). There was one about 3 miles down the road (at the time I had 20% battery left) and I found the L2, thinking we're saved. Plugged in there until I reached 45% and the new plan was to travel to Columbia, SC to try a fast charge EVGo station (this was a detour, the other alternative was waiting longer to charge and going to Charleston, which was also not on the route). Get to the station with 8% battery and I'm faulting again (tried initiating via EVGo app & FordPass). So at this point I've confirmed there is a problem with the vehicle not being able to fast charge, not related to using an EA station.

End up getting a hotel locally and charging overnight there on an L2 and getting to my destination with 8% left. Call my dealer Monday morning and he suggests I outreach local Ford dealers to have it serviced. First available appointment (from the 2 dealers <50 miles from here) is next Tuesday in Savannah, GA. Nothing sooner and no one was sympathetic to me needing to have this fixed to return home. I am in SC on vacation through the end of next week, so if there is a "quick" fix and it's able to be diagnosed next week - great. If not, it will take days to get home if all I can use is L2.

Next, I call the customer service number we were sent with the apology related to the QA delays (now a Bronco reservation line). Waited on hold 45 minutes, connected to someone else and 45 minutes later all the help I got was - yes, bring it in, no we can't confirm you will be given a complementary rental, and here try these 2 other dealers. Frustrated to say the least, which got worse. Both of those dealers should never have been suggested - 1 was commercial and the other was not EV certified.

Try installing EA app, then initiate charging through it. Do not use plug and charge or ford pass app You have to register for EA. On a road trip using EA premium membership is much cheaper. you initiate charging first through EA app and then plug in after following instructions on charger screen.

OP
OP
First Name
Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try installing EA app, then initiate charging through it. Do not use plug and charge or ford pass app You have to register for EA. On a road trip using EA premium membership is much cheaper. you initiate charging first through EA app and then plug in after following instructions on charger screen.
Thanks! Will try this, but doesn't explain why I wasn't able to use the EVGo fast charger, which I did initiate via their app.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks! Will try this, but doesn't explain why I wasn't able to use the EVGo fast charger, which I did initiate via their app.
Have only used Chargepoint once and it took me several tries to go through the initiation process. Never used EVgo. You could have a real problem with fast charging, but maybe it is the initiation process.

skuker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended
Country flag
I used all of those stations successfully this month with P&C and the EA app with no issue. Sounds like your having the issues @OutofSpecKyle was having on his first trip before one of the early software updates. Maybe have your dealer check that all your modules are up to date.

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
In the future you can use PlugShare to find alternative chargers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

That's a bummer of a road trip. I used that Florence, SC EA station twice in March with no issues.

A fault at 80% may have been many things and I wouldn't be worried about that experience in Rocky Mount. Besides, you don't want to charge beyond 80% at a DCFC unless you absolutely have to. The car also slows to L2 charging rates upon reaching 80%.

You did lots of things right. You tried multiple chargers at the station, then called EA. That has usually sufficed for me.

You didn't mention if you tried initiating charging at the EA station using the EA app. That is the best option if Plug & Charge doesn't work for you.

You do mention using the EVGo app. I have not tried charging my Mach E at an EVgo so I have no personal experience there. However, I'm not sure how reliable Plug & Charge is at EVgo.

I recommend you run an experiment: Charge your car completely on an L2 charger there in Hilton Head. Once charged, drive to the Walmart/EA station in Pooler, GA. It's about 45 minutes away and you can easily drive there and back using only a small part of your battery. I used that one successfully back in March as well. Use it to test DCFC at an EA station. Be ready to try with Plug & Charge, FordPass, and the EA app. If P&C doesn't work, try the EA app. If that doesn't work, try disabling P&C on your FordPass app, then initiating the charge using the EA app. If you have issues, call EA to have them recycle the charger. If all of this fails, head back to Hilton Head and recharge on L2.

OP
OP
First Name
Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a bummer of a road trip. I used that Florence, SC EA station twice in March with no issues.

A fault at 80% may have been many things and I wouldn't be worried about that experience in Rocky Mount. Besides, you don't want to charge beyond 80% at a DCFC unless you absolutely have to. The car also slows to L2 charging rates upon reaching 80%.

You did lots of things right. You tried multiple chargers at the station, then called EA. That has usually sufficed for me.

You didn't mention if you tried initiating charging at the EA station using the EA app. That is the best option if Plug & Charge doesn't work for you.

You do mention using the EVGo app. I have not tried charging my Mach E at an EVgo so I have no personal experience there. However, I'm not sure how reliable Plug & Charge is at EVgo.

I recommend you run an experiment: Charge your car completely on an L2 charger there in Hilton Head. Once charged, drive to the Walmart/EA station in Pooler, GA. It's about 45 minutes away and you can easily drive there and back using only a small part of your battery. I used that one successfully back in March as well. Use it to test DCFC at an EA station. Be ready to try with Plug & Charge, FordPass, and the EA app. If P&C doesn't work, try the EA app. If that doesn't work, try disabling P&C on your FordPass app, then initiating the charge using the EA app. If you have issues, call EA to have them recycle the charger. If all of this fails, head back to Hilton Head and recharge on L2.
Good thought. I didn't try the EA app in Florence, but I'll try at the Walmart in Pooler on the way to the service appointment and see what happens.

OP
OP
First Name
Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update after visiting the dealer in Savannah. In short, I wasted a day for the dealer to tell me they can find nothing wrong with the vehicle.

When I arrived, they essentially said we have no idea how long it will take to diagnose/run the tests and then no idea if we'll even be able to fix it. After 3 hours, the tech said they are getting no error messages and it's passing all the tests they are running, so they are finished.

I asked about the multiple fault codes and if they could research those. I was told there are no details/codes the tech could see aside from the same message I received in the Ford app, which said vehicle charging fault with no code or number. Since the dealer had no DCFC onsite they couldn't try to reproduce the issue (so far I have not encountered any dealers with DCFC onsite, which is a huge fail on Ford's part imo).

@ChasingCoral after visiting the dealer, I did try the EA at the Walmart in Pooler initiating via the EA app (with PnC disabled and enabled) and still received the fault. Clearly something is wrong and the dealer techs do not know what they are doing. If they are EV certified...perhaps they are certified to sell EVs, certainly not fix them!

Upon leaving, the manager came over to basically say hey I'm the manager bring it to the dealer you bought it from...super helpful. Clearly customer service is not his forte. Shouldn't we be able to go to any dealer for help when there's an issue (it's under warranty & I have an extended service contract). The dealer I purchased from did reach out to see what happened with my service appointment and was annoyed this dealer wasn't more helpful and that it's not fixed. I'm bringing it there when I get back to town next week.

Disappointed all around with the way @Ford Motor Company has handled this issue, from the customer service line to the dealer I went to for help. I have lost 3 days of my vacation and have to pay for 2 nights in a hotel because the car is not fast charging. If fast charging doesn't work and isn't reliable the car is not worth keeping or recommending to others.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I had a similar experience. There is a software update for this and it's been applied to my car. I wish I could tell you which update to request. The dealer didn't have the paperwork ready when the car update was completed and said they would mail it to me ... but it was just last week and I still don't have the service paperwork yet.

OP
OP
First Name
Bianca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Updating the group on my progress. Brought the car into the dealer 2 weeks ago to have an update installed to fix the DCFC issue. Apparently there were "several" updates, but the only one I was aware of was the PaaK update (not sure how we are being notified of available updates, Ford seems to be missing the consumer/owner notification piece). The issue is still not resolved after the update. My dealer has ordered a DCFC to install on property and I'm waiting for that before bringing it back for further diagnosis.

JuliaSWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE Nite Pony
Country flag
Updating the group on my progress. Brought the car into the dealer 2 weeks ago to have an update installed to fix the DCFC issue. Apparently there were "several" updates, but the only one I was aware of was the PaaK update (not sure how we are being notified of available updates, Ford seems to be missing the consumer/owner notification piece). The issue is still not resolved after the update. My dealer has ordered a DCFC to install on property and I'm waiting for that before bringing it back for further diagnosis.
Thanks for this update! I’ve had some issues using fast chargers so Im curious about how this gets resolved.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
After reading through your thread my DCFC issues seem to pale in comparison!! So far I have been able to find a way to charge at EA but my concern is that they don’t seem to be maintaining their stations very well! This will become a bigger problem as more EV’s hit the highway! Haven’t done a road trip myself yet but the comments on Plugshare have me worried!!
Sponsored