Long-term reliability / extended warranty?

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Now that the cars have been out for a few months, people have put some miles on them and have a feel for the car.

I’m planning on keeping this car for a long time, hopefully 10 or more years, and am considering an extended warranty because I think problems with tech in the car could be expensive down the road. (I think this is a potential issue with many new “high-tech” cars in general, not just the Mach E.) Sensors, cameras, boards, relays, etc., may prove to be more expensive than we might think. For example, replacing the windshield is pricier than older cars, because the front camera system has to be calibrated.

None of us have a crystal ball, but what do you think? What are the chances of problems, and might they be expensive?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Please check out this existing discussion. This is a highly opinionated topic, btw!

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/extended-warranty.1408/
Thanks, I think I stumbled across that in the past. Yes, rather controversial!

I actually am most interested in people’s feelings regarding possible problems over the life of the car and the expense involved. The extended warranty subject is kind of a “sub-question”. This is my third EV, and the first two were absolutely problem-free over 8-1/2 years, but they were not as tech-laden as the Mach E.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Assuming my vehicle's not involved in an accident, I'm expecting less repair expenses than I had on my Fiesta, which was already remarkably low cost to service and maintain.

The main component that I had to replace many times on my Fiesta was the blend and mode door actuators used for controlling cabin airflow (like moving from floor vents to dash to defrost, or mixing outside air with recirculated air, etc.).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Long-term reliability / extended warranty? IMG_20200717_162812~2

Each little actuator is roughly $10. Not a big deal. But dealers were charging me $200-$400 to replace them each time, once it was outside the warranty period.

I eventually learned how to do it myself... And in all honesty at the end of ownership, I just removed them when they died. (Leaving them in resulted in a scary loud clicking sound during vehicle startup, as a plastic gear was trying to click by a broken plastic gear.)

Anyway, that's it... Other things on our cars will wear out, like shocks or coolant pumps. I'm hoping they won't be more expensive to repair then the cost of a prepaid warranty program.

TheOneAB

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Mustang GT, Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Assuming my vehicle's not involved in an accident, I'm expecting less repair expenses than I had on my Fiesta, which was already remarkably low cost to service and maintain.

The main component that I had to replace many times on my Fiesta was the blend and mode door actuators used for controlling cabin airflow (like moving from floor vents to dash to defrost, or mixing outside air with recirculated air, etc.).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Long-term reliability / extended warranty? IMG_20200717_162812~2

Each little actuator is roughly $10. Not a big deal. But dealers were charging me $200-$400 to replace them each time, once it was outside the warranty period.

I eventually learned how to do it myself... And in all honesty at the end of ownership, I just removed them when they died. (Leaving them in resulted in a scary loud clicking sound during vehicle startup, as a plastic gear was trying to click by a broken plastic gear.)

Anyway, that's it... Other things on our cars will wear out, like shocks or coolant pumps. I'm hoping they won't be more expensive to repair then the cost of a prepaid warranty program.
Yes!! Ive had to replace mine in my 07 GT 6 times already. What a junk part.