Longevity of magneride suspension?

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
Wanted some feedback from other owners how the magneride suspension is holding up over miles and time? While the roads here in Dallas don’t have tons of potholes, they are otherwise not great roads for driving with some sneaky bumps and very rough surfaces.
Sponsored

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Magneride is not new it's been around since the late 80's. I had it on my last two Lincolns both went over 100k with no notable issues. The MKZ had the pinch welds on the shock perch of the strut break loose and one of the shocks was replaced.

OP
OP
nmope

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
Magneride is not new it's been around since the late 80's. I had it on my last two Lincolns both went over 100k with no notable issues. The MKZ had the pinch welds on the shock perch of the strut break loose and one of the shocks was replaced.
what was the weight of the Lincoln’s? the GTPE is practically 5000lbs

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
what was the weight of the Lincoln’s? the GTPE is practically 5000lbs
The MKZ is around 4000lbs
The MKX is around 4400lbs

A AWD MME Extended battery premium is 4838 lbs. Magnaride is also installed vehicles heavier than the MME.

I don't believe weight is a big factor for this system. You simply scale the shocks to support the weight

Here is a list

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

Last edited:

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Wanted some feedback from other owners how the magneride suspension is holding up over miles and time? While the roads here in Dallas don’t have tons of potholes, they are otherwise not great roads for driving with some sneaky bumps and very rough surfaces.
MagneRide shocks/struts generally fare well, however, there have been outliers. The 2015-2017 Chevrolet SS sedan had a good number of MagneRide shocks fail due to leakage of the magnetorheological fluid. Curb weight was only 3900-3980 lbs so it’s not like it’s a heavy car.
Sponsored