First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prospective Mach-e owner
Country flag
Folks,

Are there any Boston–Portsmouth area owners here who can recommend a dealer they've had a positive experience with? The nearest dealer to me is Autofair in Haverhill, MA. (Mass rules say I have to buy at a dealer within the state).

Been looking seriously at buying an electric, and specifically the Mach-e, for a couple of years now. Ready to pull the trigger. I am concerned about how the orders are tied to dealerships. I have ready a few posts here that indicate that some dealers mess with the price. With Ford cranking up the prices for 2023, this is even more concerning. I'm trying to stay under the $55k cap for Federal and state incentives. Or does this count as an SUV and qualify under the incentive for those, up to $80,000? Either way, I want AWD and a long-range battery. I have access to "X-plan" through my employer. I am interested if anyone can say if that improved their purchase experience?

I've never owned a Ford, and my only experience is checking out a Flex in 2011… and feeling like an absolute minnow in a shark tank as soon as someone started talking to us at a dealer in Medford. We left before even test driving, and got a Honda instead. If prices and dealer experience don't line up, my next hope is an ID.4, when the Chattanooga batch start selling.

Bonus: if anyone has an stories to share specific to buying your Mach-e in Massachusetts (rebates, charging, etc) I'd love to hear them, I've been searching through and reading this forum for a few weeks now. I have never even test drove a Mach-e. I did just complete a week road trip with a Model Y, so I have some real world experience with electrics in general.
Sponsored

Pony4ever

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD
Country flag
Check for other Ford dealers.. I heard Acton ford is good.

Reactions: bwc

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I don’t think you can stay under $55k MSRP for the MachE with AWD and the big battery for 2023 with the recent price increases?

Did MA expand the EV rebate program? It used to be $50k max MSRP to get the state $2500.

I had a nice and friendly buy experience for my MachE, but it was the first one they sold. Others have posted that same dealer doesn’t honor XPlan anymore. Since you know exactly what you want, find a high volume dealer who is just about moving cars and maybe they will commit to XPlan and no extras.

Good luck out there. I see more MachEs every day, definitely a popular car in Mass right now.

MONDO

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2021) Space White, Premium, AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Design Engineer
Country flag
Did MA expand the EV rebate program? It used to be $50k max MSRP to get the state $2500.
EV Rebate price cap did get increase to $55K in the recently passed climate bill. However, funding for the program is tied to the economic development bill, which has not passed.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I bought in Maine before they changed the state rebate rules, I paid msrp and it was a breeze. Walls Ford near me has none and marks them up, same with Danvers Ford. Try Balise on the Cape, if they have something you like just buy it then head down. If you haven't seen or driven one you are welcome to try mine, I am in Newburyport.

OP
OP
bwc

bwc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prospective Mach-e owner
Country flag
Erik, that’s a generous offer, and thanks for the intel you shared.

OP
OP
bwc

bwc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prospective Mach-e owner
Country flag
I don’t think you can stay under $55k MSRP

[…]

Others have posted that same dealer doesn’t honor XPlan anymore.
I appreciate the input. Which dealer did you use? Thanks.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I live on the north shore of Boston, and ended up buying my MME at Townsend Ford which is over an hour away. My experience was super positive, especially after talking to many other local dealers and having not-so-positive experiences. I got lucky with my timing and was able to buy a canceled order for MSRP (minus a Ford Options $2k rebate). They told me that they only sell MME's for MSRP. After that purchasing experience I would not hesitate to order a new car with them. I'm tempted to do my service there, but it's a long drive.

I wasn't able to take advantage of the Mass MOR-EV rebate because the car was too expensive. But I'll get the $7,500 fed tax credit for 2022.

The only charging programs I'm personally aware of are with National Grid. I believe you can either get a discount of 5 cents per kWh during off-peak hours, or you can get some kind of annual rebate for allowing them to integrate with you car (or charger) and control the charging to avoid certain peak events.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I live on the north shore of Boston, and ended up buying my MME at Townsend Ford which is over an hour away. My experience was super positive, especially after talking to many other local dealers and having not-so-positive experiences. I got lucky with my timing and was able to buy a canceled order for MSRP (minus a Ford Options $2k rebate). They told me that they only sell MME's for MSRP. After that purchasing experience I would not hesitate to order a new car with them. I'm tempted to do my service there, but it's a long drive.

I wasn't able to take advantage of the Mass MOR-EV rebate because the car was too expensive. But I'll get the $7,500 fed tax credit for 2022.

The only charging programs I'm personally aware of are with National Grid. I believe you can either get a discount of 5 cents per kWh during off-peak hours, or you can get some kind of annual rebate for allowing them to integrate with you car (or charger) and control the charging to avoid certain peak events.
I have the integration with car and national grid, they restricted charging at home every day of July and August from around 2p-7p. But you can text override if you really need a charge.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have the integration with car and national grid, they restricted charging at home every day of July and August from around 2p-7p. But you can text override if you really need a charge.
Ahh, that's good to know, thanks. I don't have either program yet, but I've been thinking about it.

OP
OP
bwc

bwc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prospective Mach-e owner
Country flag
(minus a Ford Options $2k rebate)
thanks, I’ll definitely check them out.
I’ve seen this “Ford Options” thing a few times now. What does it mean?

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
thanks, I’ll definitely check them out.
I’ve seen this “Ford Options” thing a few times now. What does it mean?
It’s a vehicle purchase financing plan that is structured like a lease, with smaller payments for 3 or 4 years, and then the option to pay off the loan with a balloon payment or give the car back to Ford. The advantage is that the title is in your name and so you can get the Fed tax credit (unlike a lease). Ford also throws in variable incentives like the $2k in my case. Seems like some dealerships are unfamiliar with it. I think it only pertains to the MME and Lightning. Townsend Ford offered it to me right up front.

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
Folks,

Are there any Boston–Portsmouth area owners here who can recommend a dealer they've had a positive experience with? The nearest dealer to me is Autofair in Haverhill, MA. (Mass rules say I have to buy at a dealer within the state).

Been looking seriously at buying an electric, and specifically the Mach-e, for a couple of years now. Ready to pull the trigger. I am concerned about how the orders are tied to dealerships. I have ready a few posts here that indicate that some dealers mess with the price. With Ford cranking up the prices for 2023, this is even more concerning. I'm trying to stay under the $55k cap for Federal and state incentives. Or does this count as an SUV and qualify under the incentive for those, up to $80,000? Either way, I want AWD and a long-range battery. I have access to "X-plan" through my employer. I am interested if anyone can say if that improved their purchase experience?

I've never owned a Ford, and my only experience is checking out a Flex in 2011… and feeling like an absolute minnow in a shark tank as soon as someone started talking to us at a dealer in Medford. We left before even test driving, and got a Honda instead. If prices and dealer experience don't line up, my next hope is an ID.4, when the Chattanooga batch start selling.

Bonus: if anyone has an stories to share specific to buying your Mach-e in Massachusetts (rebates, charging, etc) I'd love to hear them, I've been searching through and reading this forum for a few weeks now. I have never even test drove a Mach-e. I did just complete a week road trip with a Model Y, so I have some real world experience with electrics in general.

I also recommend Action Ford, they do not (at least did not) charge any ADM or any BS Fees, they were also pretty good on an extended warranty if you are so inclined.

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
Folks,

PSA I had an awful experience with Kelly Ford in Beverly.

Their F&I team was a bunch of gangsters who refused my cash offer and tried to squeeze me in a bank finance program with interest 5 times the Ford advertised 0.9% The call from F&I actually started with "do I go a deal for you!"

By the time the car was delivered I had moved to NH, so they had to deliver it. (NH requirements are very different than MA) The car was damaged when they delivered it. The delivery/sales guy said I had to deal with Service, Service said I had to deal with the sales/delivery guy.

I got a variety of answers along the way - the body shop can't fix tricoat paint, etc Everyone else said this was a problem for the GM - who refused to take my call or return my call. I called him twice a day six days in a row.

If you've heard their ads on the radio - you might have heard wrong - I think what you hear Brian Kelly really saying is "How's THAT for making it sleazy!"
Sponsored