Looking for charging tips if I couldn't charging at home....

Ethan-DoDo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6 2016
Occupation
Product Designer
Country flag
I own a sweet Mazda 6 for 4 years, it’s all perfect, but the gas price continues to become expensive, so I was thinking maybe it’s time to switch to EV
MME is my top choice, but I am not sure whether my landlord allows me to install a private charging point in the rented house, so I have some concerns about charging. Do you guys have any tips you can share with me for public charging?
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I own a sweet Mazda 6 for 4 years, it’s all perfect, but the gas price continues to become expensive, so I was thinking maybe it’s time to switch to EV
MME is my top choice, but I am not sure whether my landlord allows me to install a private charging point in the rented house, so I have some concerns about charging. Do you guys have any tips you can share with me for public charging?
First check with your landlord. See if he'll let you install NEMA 14-50 outlet with 50A circuit. Then you can use mobile charger. Worst case, he says no. You can also use mobile with a standard 110V outlet, but it's very slow. Then check with your employer or employer's landlord, to see if they are willing to install a charger. Use plugshare app to find Level 2 and DC chargers in your area. Finally, make sure you have a strategy for charging before spending the money on the car. It's a lot more frustrating the other way,

OP
OP
Ethan-DoDo

Ethan-DoDo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6 2016
Occupation
Product Designer
Country flag
First check with your landlord. See if he'll let you install NEMA 14-50 outlet with 50A circuit. Then you can use mobile charger. Worst case, he says no. You can also use mobile with a standard 110V outlet, but it's very slow. Then check with your employer or employer's landlord, to see if they are willing to install a charger. Use plugshare app to find Level 2 and DC chargers in your area. Finally, make sure you have a strategy for charging before spending the money on the car. It's a lot more frustrating the other way,
That's a really helpful suggestion! I would like to know if I use Level 2 charging, how long does it usually take? because I saw a charging station near my house if I left the car overnight for charging is it safe?

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That's a really helpful suggestion! I would like to know if I use Level 2 charging, how long does it usually take? because I saw a charging station near my house if I left the car overnight for charging is it safe?
how much daily driving do you do??.....local or highway miles??......I use my 120 line, if I charge from 6pm to 6am I can add an estimated 48 to 60 miles, for me usually 4-5 miles per hour of charge....

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Safe technically wise: Indeed very safe. Safe security wise: That depends on the area where the charger is.

There are now many many of us charging our Mach-E's overnight in a garage and outside w/o any issues. That would be no different from charging elsewhere on a Level-2 (public charger, hotel, AirBnB, etc.).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Many public level 2 chargers provide 7.2kw or less. Some as little as 5.3kw. Your vehicle will get ~7% less than that, so as low as 4.8. 88 / 4.8 <= 18.3 hours. 88 / 6.7 = 13.1 hours. Of course this assumes you're empty and charge to 100%.

You may only use 20% charge in a day, and you can get about 10% overnight with 120v. And then catch-up on the weekend.

We are currently about to embark on a return trip home of 800 miles. We stayed in a hotel halfway on Monday night, and their charger got us to 99% as we unplugged. If we had arrived with less charge, or had less hours to charge, we would have had a less full battery when we left.

The first hotel we arrived at, with a paid reservation, had a broken charger even though I called the day prior. We checked out and moved to a different, less desirable hotel, with a working charger. Pain in the butt!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Level 1 — Standard 110V Household plug. About 1.7 kW
Level 2 — 220V connection, could be a plug or hard-wired, Can be anywhere from 5kW to 11.5kW
DC Fast charge. Not a household option. Up to 150kW. Best used during long road trips

More info here
https://www.ford.com/powertrains/battery-electric-vehicles/#home-charging

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I would not buy an EV without the ability to charge at home!! Definitely would not leave our car connected to a public charger overnight unless it was at a hotel where I was staying.
I agree, with the following exception. Charging at work may be a reasonable option.

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
I agree, with the following exception. Charging at work may be a reasonable option.
Another exception is living in a dense urban center. I live in Chicago, don’t use my car to commute, and could’ve easily gone without an at-home charger (in fact I did for 3 months)

plenty of grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. have L2 chargers where you can plug in (usually for free) and get 4-5% in a quick trip. Otherwise, I have many DCFC options within a 5 mile radius. there are obvious Impacts to the battery living with this model. To what extent, is seemingly TBD.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So in that situation will you charging your MME every day?
No......I am retired, drive maybe 20 or so miles per day......almost 95% of my driving is under 40mph, local roads......I usually charge to 80% or so, drive for up to a week, down to 45% to 50% battery, then charge for 10-15 hours.....suits me ok......oh some of the stores around here have volta free level 2 chargers which I take advantage of.....

EDIT: of course your estimated range takes a good hit during the colder winter months, then I may charge more often depending on my driving.......I go to a lot of book sales and sometimes I will charge more often if I am highway driving, distance plus faster then local streets....

Last edited:

fokkerlit

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Country flag
When I first for my MME it wasn't able to charge on 120v or 220v, only DC fast chargers. It was a pain but I made it work for the month or so before they were able to fix it. That meant charging up to 80% somewhere (usually took about 30-40 minutes) everytime I got down to about 20%. It's a pain only being able to use public chargers, and you're not advised to DC fast charge all the time, but you can make it work. There are a lot of level 2 chargers at places like grocery stores, walmarts, and malls that you can use while you're going about your day too.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
plenty of grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. have L2 chargers where you can plug in (usually for free) and get 4-5% in a quick trip.
I wouldn't think this strategy is sustainable long term for most people. Unless you go to 5-10 grocery stores every day, and never run into all charge spots being used or iceholed. By all means, take advantage of those, but don't count on them always being available.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
My opinion: If the landlord says no to installing a 240v plug, I'd move. If you are a good tenant that keeps up the place, pays the rent on time, etc they should be willing to do a lot to keep you.
Sponsored