Looking for charging tips if I couldn't charging at home....

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
When I first for my MME it wasn't able to charge on 120v or 220v, only DC fast chargers. It was a pain but I made it work for the month or so before they were able to fix it. That meant charging up to 80% somewhere (usually took about 30-40 minutes) everytime I got down to about 20%. It's a pain only being able to use public chargers, and you're not advised to DC fast charge all the time, but you can make it work. There are a lot of level 2 chargers at places like grocery stores, walmarts, and malls that you can use while you're going about your day too.
Like you said, it's a pain. It's ok if you need to put up with it for a couple of months, but ultimately you need a better strategy.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
A coworker just got a Brand T and won’t have an electrician come by her rental home for a few months. I advised her to get the EVgo app (there is EVgo charging within walking distance of her home), ABRP, PlugShare, and ChargeHub apps.

OP
OP
Ethan-DoDo

Ethan-DoDo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6 2016
Occupation
Product Designer
Country flag
My opinion: If the landlord says no to installing a 240v plug, I'd move. If you are a good tenant that keeps up the place, pays the rent on time, etc they should be willing to do a lot to keep you.
That's a good point! I may ask him this weekend.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
My opinion: If the landlord says no to installing a 240v plug, I'd move. If you are a good tenant that keeps up the place, pays the rent on time, etc they should be willing to do a lot to keep you.
I think OP was concerned that the landlord wouldn't allow him to install charging spot with his own (OP's) money. It's hard to understand why the landlord wouldn't allow that. It only improves the value of the property.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I think OP was concerned that the landlord wouldn't allow him to install charging spot with his own (OP's) money. It's hard to understand why the landlord wouldn't allow that. It only improves the value of the property.
Exactly.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
how much daily driving do you do??.....local or highway miles??......I use my 120 line, if I charge from 6pm to 6am I can add an estimated 48 to 60 miles, for me usually 4-5 miles per hour of charge....
You're getting some great economy if you're getting 4-5 miles per hour on L1. I get about 3 miles per hour ~1kWh into the battery pack per hour.

Level 1 — Standard 110V Household plug. About 1.7 kW
Level 2 — 220V connection, could be a plug or hard-wired, Can be anywhere from 5kW to 11.5kW
DC Fast charge. Not a household option. Up to 150kW. Best used during long road trips

More info here
https://www.ford.com/powertrains/battery-electric-vehicles/#home-charging
L1 is 1440w max (12A due to 15A circuit limitations) unless you buy a 20A circuit specific L1 charger. I don't know for a fact but I'm pretty sure the Ford included charger is max 12A on 120v.
L2 can be as low as 3.3kW not including losses (15A@220v).
DCFC is up to 450A it appears and not actually a power limit. So theoretical max is 171kW @380v though most people don't see above about 165kW since by the time the pack is at 380v it can't charge that fast anyways.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
You're getting some great economy if you're getting 4-5 miles per hour on L1. I get about 3 miles per hour ~1kWh into the battery pack per hour.

L1 is 1440w max (12A due to 15A circuit limitations) unless you buy a 20A circuit specific L1 charger. I don't know for a fact but I'm pretty sure the Ford included charger is max 12A on 120v.
L2 can be as low as 3.3kW not including losses (15A@220v).
DCFC is up to 450A it appears and not actually a power limit. So theoretical max is 171kW @380v though most people don't see above about 165kW since by the time the pack is at 380v it can't charge that fast anyways.
I stand corrected.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
To that end: Before going to the landlord with "I'll move" do some research and find other places that allow charging (if any).

That way you can answer the question: "I'll move" "to where?" "here, here, and here"

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Assuming I'm right :p

Also Ford officially says 150kW max DCFC but in reality it can be higher. Which is nice.
Not really, and only for the big battery (SR battery is 115kW).

e.g. if you plug into a 350kW DCFC you're still only going to max out at slightly above 150kW and even then only for a few minutes before the car drops the power level down.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Not really, and only for the big battery (SR battery is 115kW).

e.g. if you plug into a 350kW DCFC you're still only going to max out at slightly above 150kW and even then only for a few minutes before the car drops the power level down.
I've seen 165kW myself - granted for a few minutes only like you said. It is a current limit at 450A on the 350kW chargers I'm fairly certain. You're right though, big battery only. I could just be talking out of my ass though.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
just as the estimated range (GOM) adjusts to driving styles, I am thinking the estimated miles I get charging also is affected by driving styles....this was certainly true w/my c max energi......since Feb. I am getting about 5.0 to 5.2 m/kwh.....I know that is pretty good but remember, 95% of my driving is under 40mph......having been driving a hybrid/plug-in for over 10 years, I've gotten pretty good at ev driving without becoming a nut case, haha......

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
just as the estimated range (GOM) adjusts to driving styles, I am thinking the estimated miles I get charging also is affected by driving styles....this was certainly true w/my c max energi......since Feb. I am getting about 5.0 to 5.2 m/kwh.....I know that is pretty good but remember, 95% of my driving is under 40mph......having been driving a hybrid/plug-in for over 10 years, I've gotten pretty good at ev driving without becoming a nut case, haha......
Makes sense if your driving is that slow. I average 3.0mi/kWh on my GT, but I drive a lot of 60-70mph highway and I like to get on it from stops. It's fun :p My First EV was 2015 with the good ol' Focus Electric.
Sponsored