Looking for key FOB RFID blocking suggestions to block car thieves

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I tried to find another thread, but didn't see any.

I've been watching random videos of car thieves stealing cars with an amplifier of your key in the house/parked, then transmitting that to another device to send that to the car and they drive off.

Just wondering if anyone else bothers with one of these currently.

My kid actually had a teacher who had her car stolen like this this year so curious if anyone wanted to share what they used. With car deliveries being 9+ months out, it's not like you can get your insurance check and just "buy" another EV off the lot anymore.

I just tested foil myself recently and that works great actually (and since I can use PaaK, don't really need the key unwrapped) and I will use that, but the wife will never stand for ugly foil. Thinking of something very minimalistic that can cover the key, but still allow you to use the key ring, etc. Some I see is a massive pouch or a lighter style case where you can lose the lid.

All the past RFID "pouches" included in a bag I've tested simply don't work.

(Also figured out how to trigger my pony lights at will now moving the keys inside foil and walking up to it unwrapped).
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
I tried to find another thread, but didn't see any.

I've been watching random videos of car thieves stealing cars with an amplifier of your key in the house/parked, then transmitting that to another device to send that to the car and they drive off.

Just wondering if anyone else bothers with one of these currently.

My kid actually had a teacher who had her car stolen like this this year so curious if anyone wanted to share what they used. With car deliveries being 9+ months out, it's not like you can get your insurance check and just "buy" another EV off the lot anymore.

I just tested foil myself recently and that works great actually (and since I can use PaaK, don't really need the key unwrapped) and I will use that, but the wife will never stand for ugly foil. Thinking of something very minimalistic that can cover the key, but still allow you to use the key ring, etc. Some I see is a massive pouch or a lighter style case where you can lose the lid.

All the past RFID "pouches" included in a bag I've tested simply don't work.

(Also figured out how to trigger my pony lights at will now moving the keys inside foil and walking up to it unwrapped).
I've been using this product for almost a year. It was $10 for one when I bought it. YMMV
Amazon.com: New 2-Pack - Mission Darkness Faraday Bag for Keyfobs - RF Shielding Protective Case for Smart Always On Keys Fobs Transmitters Small Electronics Vehicle Security Anti-Hacking Block Signal Relay : Automotive

PNWJustin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium EAWD
Country flag
I'm not following..is the idea of this so you can leave a key in your car, incase you need it if PAAK is not working?

If that's the case -- wouldn't this just allow a thief to break into your car window and then steal your car?

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
I'm not following..is the idea of this so you can leave a key in your car, incase you need it if PAAK is not working?

If that's the case -- wouldn't this just allow a thief to break into your car window and then steal your car?
Hi. Well, I guess if a thief knew the owner had a fob in a faraday bag in the car, and where they had it inside the car, then yes. I do take the bag with fob inside with me in my luggage when on a road trip.

As for my use case, I carry it just in case PaaK decides to stop working. Others prefer to use the backup passcode and not have the hassle of the fob if there's a PaaK issue.

Many related threads to give you a flavor of the pros and cons. I know you've been on the forum for a while, but here are a few to scroll through:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/of-memory-codes-and-faraday-cages.14963/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/paak-preference-usage.14500/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/i’ve-had-it-with-paak.8777/page-2

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-mach-e-phone-as-key-paak-and-door-code.2956/

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
On the Forscan page there is / was a product named "Kossa" ("Scythe" in English) which appeared to hard-wire a theft prevention circuit into a fob-enabled car, inconspicuously. I wonder whether that solution applies here...

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Here is the URL to the "Kozza" security product. Of course, the international sanctions in effect today appear to block sales... nonetheless, I am posting it here for general knowledge. Enjoy!

https://www.ucdsys.org/?page_id=1335&lang=en

OP
OP

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks for all the suggestions, but for folks who do use a pouch or RFID key carrier, does anyone know when the key can be put back in the pouch?

Is this after starting the car and it's fine or will it shutdown after it detects no key nearby?

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I'm not sure I understand the need to store a spare key FOB in the car. I use PAAK which always works. But if I ever lost my phone or the phone is dead I can use the door keypad to get in and the backup security code to start the car. That would be quicker than rummaging around for a hidden key and it's considerably more secure than hiding a key in the car.

Is there another reason to keep a fob in the car? Or is keeping a key in the car just old style comfort?
Sponsored