Looks like Ford is considering adding 12V connections near the cowl

EV_Pilot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD, 17 Ridgeline, 13 Leaf(sold)
Country flag
OK...this is a good idea. But, a patent, really? It doesn't seem like exactly a new idea to have a jump start terminal on the exterior of a vehicle. Airplanes have had those since the 50's or 60's maybe even earlier.

I hadn't thought about people using a jump pack to steal stuff out of my frunk. Hopefully, most thieves are lazy idiots and that would be too much work.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
They can remove the 12V jumper wires to open the frunk. The only reason they exist is to get to the battery.
If the wires to pop the frunk were not there, you‘d have to break the windshield when the 12V battery died in order to jump it.

OP
OP
SWO

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
If the wires to pop the frunk were not there, you‘d have to break the windshield when the 12V battery died in order to jump it.
The topic of this thread is a patent to allow access from the cowl, removing the need to open the frunk altogether.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The topic of this thread is a patent to allow access from the cowl, removing the need to open the frunk altogether.
Gotcha…for some reason I thought it was inside the car.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
They can remove the 12V jumper wires to open the frunk. The only reason they exist is to get to the battery.
In a perfect world, they would then repurpose the now-unneeded front hatch on the bumper for a tow-hook socket.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
In a perfect world, they would then repurpose the now-unneeded front hatch on the bumper for a tow-hook socket.
I believe that the EU cars already use that same cubby hole for their tow hook. Us unwashed North Americans get a bumper that does not have a hole behind the hatch. 🤬🐩

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
OK...this is a good idea. But, a patent, really? It doesn't seem like exactly a new idea to have a jump start terminal on the exterior of a vehicle. Airplanes have had those since the 50's or 60's maybe even earlier.

I hadn't thought about people using a jump pack to steal stuff out of my frunk. Hopefully, most thieves are lazy idiots and that would be too much work.
The only way people can do that is if your 12V battery is dead. This has been documented many times.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I believe that the EU cars already use that same cubby hole for their tow hook. Us unwashed North Americans get a bumper that does not have a hole behind the hatch. 🤬🐩
I think you’re getting your Mustang Mach E holes confused. The hatch in the front bumper holds our jumper cables and Europe’s threaded receiver for an eyelet that can be used to tow the car. I don’t know how the European rear tow hitch works.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm not too sure this is a good idea as it's designed.

The current points, in the bumper, do not provide voltage and only allow the access to the frunk under dead LVB situations. The way the diagram is drawn the posts are directly connected to the battery. This means that any person wishing to use your 12v battery can do so by simply removing the small trim piece. Malicious actors could easily cause shorts and drain the LVB.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Just because Ford has the patent does not mean they will use it on the MME. They have a current design and they may elect to use it on future vehicles or "tweek" the patent design. They may elect to use the intent of the patent but use on the bumper, for example.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The two leads and 12 volts will only unlatch the frunk if the 12v battery is dead. Any other time and the thieves are just wasting their time. You can actually test this yourself if you like.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I think you’re getting your Mustang Mach E holes confused. The hatch in the front bumper holds our jumper cables and Europe’s threaded receiver for an eyelet that can be used to tow the car. I don’t know how the European rear tow hitch works.
We have the frunk release cables inside the cubby. There is no hole aligned behind the cubby for my tow hook, just solid metal. Not confused. Not talking about tow hitches. 🤪🐩

MuckyMach-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Hi, for info I’ve attached photos of the threaded receivers for the tow hook behind both the front and rear tow hatches on U.K. and presumably EU vehicles. Also included a picture of the tow hook in the trunk (boot in U.K.).

8F14ACE2-410A-4C7C-949E-5CB4C70DB48B.jpeg

23B1E124-3AE7-4A92-9C60-A55454734AEF.jpeg

53946144-6861-484A-9036-7FCAE99C7FAA.jpeg