Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
How does this make the frunk secure?
Why can Ford go back to a simple mechanical lock and key to open the frunk and get access to the jumper terminals? I have not ordered my Mach-E yet, but when it is in my hands, I will put a lock and key to it. My present Fusion Hybrid can be opened by a key even if both the 12 V and the HVB were discharged completely.

Sometimes old school tech is better and simpler.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have not ordered my Mach-E yet, but when it is in my hands, I will put a lock and key to it.
Youโ€™re going to have some major surgery to do on your car then. Thereโ€™s no easy way to do that.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Why can Ford go back to a simple mechanical lock and key to open the frunk and get access to the jumper terminals? I have not ordered my Mach-E yet, but when it is in my hands, I will put a lock and key to it. My present Fusion Hybrid can be opened by a key even if both the 12 V and the HVB were discharged completely.

Sometimes old school tech is better and simpler.
I suppose that, theoretically, you could disassemble the doors, remove the electric actuators that latch and unlatch the doors from the door strike/post thing, replace all of it with mechanical actuators and a keyed lock cylinder, drill a hole in sheet metal for the lock cylinder, cut a hole in the interior trim for a conventional door opening pull and put all that back together.

Or you could spend the time enjoying your new Mustang Mach E๐Ÿ˜‰

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I suppose that, theoretically, you could disassemble the doors, remove the electric actuators that latch and unlatch the doors from the door strike/post thing, replace all of it with mechanical actuators and a keyed lock cylinder, drill a hole in sheet metal for the lock cylinder, cut a hole in the interior trim for a conventional door opening pull and put all that back together.

Or you could spend the time enjoying your new Mustang Mach E๐Ÿ˜‰
The door buttons are brilliant, I don't know why anyone would want to change how they work. (Aside from getting PaaK to be more reliable)
Ford should have put a key cylinder on the trunk hatch, and then cut the key blank already included in the FOB to open it. It would only be used in situations where the 12V is dead, but you would be able to climb through the car and reach the mechanical frunk release.
On the other hand, if you're going to jump your 12V anyways, I guess they figured you might as well jump the frunk release first because you already brought a 12V power supply to get the car going.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Ford should have put a key cylinder on the trunk hatch, and then cut the key blank already included in the FOB to open it. It would only be used in situations where the 12V is dead, but you would be able to climb through the car and reach the mechanical frunk release.
you're assuming a lot about my body shape and physical capabilities there. ๐Ÿ˜œ

(sent by someone that swears by the "old man seat move" [*])

(*) the Easy Entry/Exit feature

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
On the other hand, if you're going to jump your 12V anyways, I guess they figured you might as well jump the frunk release first because you already brought a 12V power supply to get the car going.
Unless your 12V power supply was in the car.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Hi, for info Iโ€™ve attached photos of the threaded receivers for the tow hook behind both the front and rear tow hatches on U.K. and presumably EU vehicles. Also included a picture of the tow hook in the trunk (boot in U.K.).

8F14ACE2-410A-4C7C-949E-5CB4C70DB48B.jpeg

23B1E124-3AE7-4A92-9C60-A55454734AEF.jpeg

53946144-6861-484A-9036-7FCAE99C7FAA.jpeg
Now, why do we not have that on the US cars. I hate the idea of hatches since it takes away from the clean look but tow hooks in the front and back...Wow!!

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The patent office has said that they're too short staffed to check patents and will grant almost any patent and let the courts decide which are valid.
No, sorry that is just wrong. It is true that courts ultimately consider some patents, usually high value patents, and often they are defeated. It is also the case that some Examiners are more thorough or more difficult than others. As someone about to retire, who has worked with Examiners over twenty years, I guarantee you that the USPTO does not grant almost any patent.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So, I have often tried to help educate about patents, to be brief, the monopoly granted by this particular patent is not found in the description or the drawings. You look to the legal claims at the back of a granted patent to see what legal rights have been granted.

I am not commenting on whether this patent should have issued, just showing you how to see what it claims.

Take for example, claim 1, which requires a leaf screen, and some other structure around the terminals. So, some external charging terminals without that exact leaf screen would not infringe.

Similarly, claim 11 requires whatever that contraption is around one of the terminals: a post that extends from the bracket to partially surround the first terminal.

They did not patent just an external connection to a battery. Again, I am not commenting on the merit of this patent, but the EV articles about patents always make it look like the description is what is patented, it is not, only the legal claims at the end.

Agree, it is odd that the terminals are always connected to the battery without some kind of contactor, say to make it active only when the LVB is flat, as with the bumper wires.