Lordstown Endurance electric pickup will spawn electric RV project with Camping World

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Oh I stand corrected, at least for the US market...
I've never gotten as far as Ottawa, but I camp in Ontario frequently, usually a couple of times per year (I'm a Michigander, and I've lived in Ontario previously).

While I usually look for 30 amps sites (I use a tent trailer, also called a pop-up), I get 50 amps sites from time to time, and they're the same as ours: split phase circuits that are essentially two 25 amp 110 VAC circuits 180° out of phase. Most RV's don't use 220 VAC; they use the split phases to power more 110 VAC circuits, like air conditioners, microwaves, foot massagers, robot masseuses, and whatever else those giant 5th wheel behemoths have included these days. :p

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I've never gotten as far as Ottawa, but I camp in Ontario frequently, usually a couple of times per year (I'm a Michigander, and I've lived in Ontario previously).

While I usually look for 30 amps sites (I use a tent trailer, also called a pop-up), I get 50 amps sites from time to time, and they're the same as ours: split phase circuits that are essentially two 25 amp 110 VAC circuits 180° out of phase. Most RV's don't use 220 VAC; they use the split phases to power more 110 VAC circuits, like air conditioners, microwaves, foot massagers, robot masseuses, and whatever else those giant 5th wheel behemoths have included these days. :p
They are actually split 50 amp VAC circuits as they have 50 amp breakers--at least all the ones I've seen.

Here is a close up of the breakers from the pic I posted. If you look carefully the breakers on the left are 50 amps (and the breaker on the right is 30 amps, the other is unreadable LOL likely either 15 or 20).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lordstown Endurance electric pickup will spawn electric RV project with Camping World 1608254901199

If they were 25 amp circuits the EVSE I use at campgrounds would trip them.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
They are actually split 50 amp VAC circuits as they have 50 amp breakers--at least all the ones I've seen. …
If they were 25 amp circuits the EVSE I use at campgrounds would trip them.
We're saying the same thing, but electricity can be tricky. These are center tapped circuits, so although not technically correct, think of it as +110 VAC at 25 A, and -110 VAC at 25 A. If you run a 220 VAC load, using the +110 and -110, you have 50 amps available (11000 VA). Your 110 VAC appliances, though, are still limited to 25 A each, and if you have multiple air conditioners, they're each on a different tap (one on the "+110" and one on the "-110" VAC). Each of these has a 2750 VA capacity. (If you ignore inductance, you can think of "VA" as being similar to "watts" in the above).

Each leg is still 25 amps at 110, but it's 50 amps at 220. Because most RV loads are 110, you're still limited to 25 amps per leg. If you have two air conditioners, for example, they'll be on different legs, because they're still 110 VAC appliances drawing 15 amps each.

Notice, also, that your VA capacity at 220 is not double that at 110 (2750 vs 11000); it's squared. Pretty cool, right? That's why the Brits (and me, in China) love our electric tea kettles, but hate them here in America. It takes 7 minutes for 750 ml to boil in Michigan, and about two minutes in Nanjing, China.
Sponsored