raymundo

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V
Country flag
I live in the Bay Area, and I got my Grabber Blue FE a few months ago. It’s been quite an adjustment to get used to all of the attention the Mach E gets. Last week, I was at a red light with three cars in front of me. The guy in the left turn lane, who had no cars in front of him, puts the car into reverse, backs all the way up to me and gestures for me to open my window, then asks me, “So, how do you like it?” Two days ago, I’m parked at the movie theater waiting to pick up my daughter. A man crosses the street and walks over, gestures for me to open my window and asks, “So how is it?”. A couple months ago, we parked the car on Cannery Row in Monterey so we could eat lunch at a restaurant across the street, and I saw at least two groups of passersby stop walking and check out the car. I was driving down a random residential street one day, and these three 10 year-old boys all look up and one shouts, “We love your car!!”. I’ve seen drivers in other cars taking videos on their phones of my Mach E. Every week, people stare at the car as I drive by, and I get many thumbs-ups from many of them.

My kids thinks all of this is hilarious, especially since we’ve only owned very low-key cars before this that got no attention from anyone. And although I’ve had the car since March, I have yet to see a single other Mach E on the streets. There are tons and tons of Teslas here in Silicon Valley, though.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience. As for the car itself, I love the drive and love the physical build quality. The app and interface have been a bit buggy, unfortunately. I get random alerts telling me I’m near a Peet’s Coffee or a school when I’m not. The phone as a key was a bit unreliable, though less so after a software update from the dealer. Why can’t we adjust the temperature remotely using the app, something that would make remote start a lot better? None of these is bad enough to outweigh all the great things about the car, though, and that’s what I tell all these curious people asking me about the car. However, I must admit wondering that if Ford can’t get the technology for the app and interface right, do I really trust them to make reliable self-driving/assisted-driving technology when they try to roll that out? I hope they get their act together, because I love the Mach E and would hate to see them screw up implementation of something as important as that.
Sponsored

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Ironically, I get almost no attention here in SoCal. This area is littered with so many EVs that nobody pays attention any more. 40% of all electric cars in the US are in California and I'd bet more than half of those are in SoCal.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
However, I must admit wondering that if Ford can’t get the technology for the app and interface right, do I really trust them to make reliable self-driving/assisted-driving technology when they try to roll that out? I hope they get their act together, because I love the Mach E and would hate to see them screw up implementation of something as important as that.
You have to remember that the teams developing the fordpass app and the infotainment system are likely in completely different groups than those developing the ADAS. Writing UI's in typescript/html5 is a very different skillset than the AI required for the ADAS systems.

OP
OP
raymundo

raymundo

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V
Country flag
You have to remember that the teams developing the fordpass app and the infotainment system are likely in completely different groups than those developing the ADAS. Writing UI's in typescript/html5 is a very different skillset than the AI required for the ADAS systems.
Yeah, my colleague, who owns a Tesla, says the same thing. His Tesla's interface and app have had all kinds of minor issues, but the Autopilot feature works very well. I'm hoping Ford's ADAS team gets it right!

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Yeah, my colleague, who owns a Tesla, says the same thing. His Tesla's interface and app have had all kinds of minor issues, but the Autopilot feature works very well. I'm hoping Ford's ADAS team gets it right!
Ooooops Autopilot...

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Honestly, the attention we get has gotten old pretty quick. My wife and I are somewhat private and it makes us a bit uncomfortable. I’m thinking about putting darker tint on because of it.

We didn’t buy the car for attention or status. I got it because it was available now and had the tax credit still, and actually looked like it had usable space.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
I don't notice the pointing as much any more but when people start doing their research on me after I parked, it gets old quick. I've started just giving generic answers. Range? over 200 miles. Charge time? Over night. Can I just order my coffee now?

Ford_Tesla_Mustang Mach-E.jpg

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Honestly, the attention we get has gotten old pretty quick. My wife and I are somewhat private and it makes us a bit uncomfortable. I’m thinking about putting darker tint on because of it.

We didn’t buy the car for attention or status. I got it because it was available now and had the tax credit still, and actually looked like it had usable space.
You sure did pick the wrong vehicle considering your penchant for privacy! The first ever real EV from Ford, styled with major Mustang cues, and, even given the Mustang name, pony badges and all. ?. Hope it gets better for you as more of them hit the streets.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
The fordpass app may very well be outsourced, or if it isn't, maybe they should contract google or something.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Ya gotta learn to love it! I had a nice long chat with this guy at Legoland yesterday. Sometimes I don’t like to engage with people but I had some time to kill while waiting for my Wife in the Parking lot!

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
I got my haircut at lunch yesterday. I told my barber he should take a look at it after. He walked out, got about 30ft away then ran back into the shop. He came back out with the rest of the shop. I've seen 4 people checking it out while I've been driving it - I've only had it 2 days now. My son has been with me on a couple of short drives, and he says I'm not even noticing half of the gawkers. I spent an extra 15 minutes in the parking lot at work showing it people on Thursday and Friday. So, yeah, they get attention.

djett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
My weekend:
Saturday got stopped in a parking lot by an eight year old and his mom. He wanted to see everything - charger port, frunk, the whole nine yards. It was fun - he was so excited. Suddenly he yells - OMG it doesn't even have door handles - just like a Lamborghini. Ok, kid, knock yourself out!

Sunday - road trip to Boston. I don't think it's my imagination that at least a few cars rolled down their windows and back up again as we passed by. Were they just looking? Taking pictures? Who knows... I don't usually notice that stuff, eyes on the road and all, but it seemed pretty obvious this trip.

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
I have been followed twice and parking lot stalked twice since owning mine for two weeks now.

The very first day driving home after picking it up from a dealership 200mi away a nice old man followed me home to ask questions about it.

That weekend I went to the local grocery store and a cop followed me to the parking lot to ask questions.

The following Monday I stopped at Walmart and parked away from everyone else, I returned to my vehicle to find a pick-up truck parked right next to me. As I approached the vehicle out jumps a 12-14yo kid out the passengers side of the pick up and he wanted to ask questions and get a closer look.

The next evening I drove to the next town over and stopped at the mall, when I was leaving a middle aged couple hopped out of their Ford Expedition and had a ton of questions. (I don't know if they were actually waiting... they were likely just leaving and saw me walk up and decided to check it out... But saying that they were waiting for me fits the trend so... lol)

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I guess I maybe picked up a wrong color, but I really do not like Grabber Blue - too toy-like to my taste. But I basically get zero attention here in Bay area - though, today, a woman from my track team said, when we were leaving a parking lot - "Faaancy!" :) That's total, third time since early June when somebody refers to my Black Shadow.
Sponsored