Lots of bugs... (activation & connected services fails)

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Out of curiosity, what functions does the Apple Watch app enable for the car? Can you open it a precondition your car?
Really don't know - since it doesn't work for me. I get a never ending loading screen on mine...
Sponsored

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
@Ford Team

I love the new car, but I'm experiencing quite a few software issues with the Ford.com & Ford Pass software. The software seems pretty clunky.

Activation was failing... even two hours later the car wouldn't activate (message on phone says "Activation Pending" but never goes away. Activation confirmation never appears on vehicle display.

I called the help desk ... they were initially unable to help and tried to escalate the case -- notifying me that someone would call back in 5-7 business days (that's not really ok).

About 15 minutes later they pro-actively called me back (that's VERY good) and had a new process for me to test. It involved removing the car from Ford Pass and logging completely out of the app (sign out ... not just 'quit' the app).

They had me do a Master Reset on the car.

They had me re-add the card back into Ford Pass (I scanned the QR code on the window sticker to add the car -- that was slick!)

Then they had me START the car (first ... before doing anything further with the app).

They wanted the car (a) running, (b) in park, and (c) in an open area -- not in a garage, parking deck, etc.) So I backed the car out of the garage.

Finally they had me do the "Activate" and that finally did work (and almost instant).

I had to re-configure a few things that were wiped out by the master reset (charging schedules, etc.)

Connected Services

I am unable to get this to work. This may be do the credit card I was using.

This requires having at least one credit card in the Ford Pass 'Wallet'. I happened to pick my Apple Card.

The Apple Card (MasterCard by Goldman Sachs) has some unique security features ... namely it has three different credit card numbers that all tie to the same account. One card number is used in the physical card (chip and mag-stripe). A different card number is tied to the virtual card (phone app) where the card number can be displayed if I need to enter it into a website for purchases that don't support Apple Pay protocol. This is how I added my card to the Wallet. A third number is used only when the Apple Pay wireless protocol is used.

But I have found that *some* banks get confused by this and think it isn't a valid MasterCard (it is). Most banks have no problem. The Ford.com 'Wallet' doesn't seem to like it.

When I attempt to activate the Ford Charging Network (Connected Services) the page cogs for a while and displays an error message that I cannot read because it is hidden under a disclosure window that I have to click a box to accept terms and then continue. Except that box is grayed out so I can't do anything to get rid of it ... and the error message is obscured by the box. (I tried with different browsers to see if it was a layout error ... it's a bug in Ford's website. Changing browsers doesn't fix it.)

I added another card (AmEx) and that made it farther in that the Connected Services activation process would finally show me both cards and ask which one I prefer to use. Unfortunately as soon as I pick the MasterCard it locks up with that same error message (covered by the box I can't dismiss).

Ford Pass Apple Watch app

This one is pretty simple. It displays a never ending animation of three blinking dots like it's trying to launch ... but never succeeds. There is a 'refresh' button that doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried to exit and relaunch the app -- no luck.
I tried to un-install and re-install -- no luck.
I tried to reboot the watch -- no luck.

So the good news is ... the car is great.
The software in Ford Pass and Connected Services ... pretty clunky and needs some love.
sounds like your problem is apple

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
i didn’t have any issues adding mine to my Ford wallet. Haven’t tried it with connected services yet (no car!)
I had no problem adding Apple Card to the Wallet ... trouble happened when I tried to activate the "Connected Services" using that card. I had to add another card and switch to the new card before it would work.

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Out of curiosity, what functions does the Apple Watch app enable for the car? Can you open it a precondition your car?
In theory ... yes. It's not working for me at the moment. But it is supposed to let you start/lock/unlock the car. 'Start' the car to precondition it while it is still plugged in.

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maaaaybe we shouldn't have all added our cars to Ford Pass 6 months early...
I'm inclined to agree. At least one of the problems I had was solved by deleting and re-adding the car in Ford Pass ... along with a 'master reset' on the car.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Love the car, but overall the software is clunky, both Ford.com and FordPass app. Does not give me any confidence.

Also, the Owner dashboard on Ford.com is primarily aimed at pre-delivery issues. Download the app, connect your phone, remote setup, etc., that are irrelevant once you have the car. Would like this to switch from a marketing piece to being actually useful.

Here is a list of issues:

- Car will not connect to wifi, despite multiple other devices doing so successfully. Tried a dedicated 2.4ghz connection, but no success.
- On my Ford.com owner dashboard, NO connected services show up, i.e., no ability to connect to charging network.
- On FordPass app, the remote vehicle setup feature never gives me the option to Send to Vehicle.
- FordPass app, I get an error when I select Charge Settings in the Manage Charging option.
- FordPass app, the Charge Times option doesn't bring up any locations.
- PAAK is finicky. If you are in the car and turn it off, but need to turn it back on again, the car doesn't recognize the PAAK and prompts for code. If I go to the app on my phone, it eventually resolves itself.

The solution to WiFi connection problem that worked for me:
  • Choose the WiFi network
  • When the virtual keyboard comes up, click on the globe icon and change the keyboard from English (UK) to English (US)
  • Turn the car off
  • Turn the car back on
  • Enter the password

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
@Ford Team

I love the new car, but I'm experiencing quite a few software issues with the Ford.com & Ford Pass software. The software seems pretty clunky.

Activation was failing... even two hours later the car wouldn't activate (message on phone says "Activation Pending" but never goes away. Activation confirmation never appears on vehicle display.

I called the help desk ... they were initially unable to help and tried to escalate the case -- notifying me that someone would call back in 5-7 business days (that's not really ok).

About 15 minutes later they pro-actively called me back (that's VERY good) and had a new process for me to test. It involved removing the car from Ford Pass and logging completely out of the app (sign out ... not just 'quit' the app).

They had me do a Master Reset on the car.

They had me re-add the card back into Ford Pass (I scanned the QR code on the window sticker to add the car -- that was slick!)

Then they had me START the car (first ... before doing anything further with the app).

They wanted the car (a) running, (b) in park, and (c) in an open area -- not in a garage, parking deck, etc.) So I backed the car out of the garage.

Finally they had me do the "Activate" and that finally did work (and almost instant).

I had to re-configure a few things that were wiped out by the master reset (charging schedules, etc.)

Connected Services

I am unable to get this to work. This may be do the credit card I was using.

This requires having at least one credit card in the Ford Pass 'Wallet'. I happened to pick my Apple Card.

The Apple Card (MasterCard by Goldman Sachs) has some unique security features ... namely it has three different credit card numbers that all tie to the same account. One card number is used in the physical card (chip and mag-stripe). A different card number is tied to the virtual card (phone app) where the card number can be displayed if I need to enter it into a website for purchases that don't support Apple Pay protocol. This is how I added my card to the Wallet. A third number is used only when the Apple Pay wireless protocol is used.

But I have found that *some* banks get confused by this and think it isn't a valid MasterCard (it is). Most banks have no problem. The Ford.com 'Wallet' doesn't seem to like it.

When I attempt to activate the Ford Charging Network (Connected Services) the page cogs for a while and displays an error message that I cannot read because it is hidden under a disclosure window that I have to click a box to accept terms and then continue. Except that box is grayed out so I can't do anything to get rid of it ... and the error message is obscured by the box. (I tried with different browsers to see if it was a layout error ... it's a bug in Ford's website. Changing browsers doesn't fix it.)

I added another card (AmEx) and that made it farther in that the Connected Services activation process would finally show me both cards and ask which one I prefer to use. Unfortunately as soon as I pick the MasterCard it locks up with that same error message (covered by the box I can't dismiss).

Ford Pass Apple Watch app

This one is pretty simple. It displays a never ending animation of three blinking dots like it's trying to launch ... but never succeeds. There is a 'refresh' button that doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried to exit and relaunch the app -- no luck.
I tried to un-install and re-install -- no luck.
I tried to reboot the watch -- no luck.

So the good news is ... the car is great.
The software in Ford Pass and Connected Services ... pretty clunky and needs some love.
Apple Watch works for me. This only worked after the recent FordPass update. From the watch, I can start the car, lock the car, and unlock the car. If you have not done so, try going to the app store and updating the FordPass app. Good luck.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The solution to WiFi connection problem that worked for me:
  • When the virtual keyboard comes up, click on the globe icon and change the keyboard from English (UK) to English (US)
  • Turn the car off
  • Turn the car back on
  • Enter the password
Didn't work for me. I also tried chanting but to no avail. :(

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
If PAAK is not going to work, is there a way to get another fob?

I never really had a problem with that.....

Jim

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
If PAAK is not going to work, is there a way to get another fob?

I never really had a problem with that.....

Jim
Good luck at this time - not available for order ..back ordered - probably have to order through your dealer.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I had a similar issue getting my FordPass to activate. I didn't call them, but I removed the car and then did a master reset. Re-added it and then it worked. Not sure why it is so hard. Sync 3 cars instantly have the pop up. Both my F350 and Escape did.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I had a Connected Services activation issue as well - using the card I reserved the Mach-E with, it wanted me to confirm the 3-digit code, but it would not allow me to actually submit the numbers when I typed them in. I had to delete that credit card and then add it again, and after deleting the card it logged me out of my Ford.com account as well, which was weird. It's feeling like all this connectivity stuff isn't quite ironed out yet.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Last night after a few attempts I was able to enroll for connected services. But my Ford pass app still says connected services not available. Perhaps delay with syncing .
Sponsored