Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Was browsing PlugShare earlier and noticed a ton of stations coming soon to NC (wrenches on the map below). It seems like most of the stations are 50-63kW, although some in the Triad and Triangle look to be 100-160kW. Based on the comments, construction hasn't started anywhere yet. Did some digging and this is part of the VW emissions settlement. NC is giving electric cooperatives money to build out charging in suburban and rural areas. Most of the chargers are in places that you'd actually want to stop at too it looks like.

It's looking like weekend road tripping in NC is gonna be a lot easier by the time most of us get our cars. Although, I find it curious that there's nothing in Wilmington or Cherokee/Bryson City yet. Those are my go to beach/mountain weekend trips.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lots of DCFC Coming Soon in NC 1605110045097
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Was browsing PlugShare earlier and noticed a ton of stations coming soon to NC (wrenches on the map below). It seems like most of the stations are 50-63kW, although some in the Triad and Triangle look to be 100-160kW. Based on the comments, construction hasn't started anywhere yet. Did some digging and this is part of the VW emissions settlement. NC is giving electric cooperatives money to build out charging in suburban and rural areas. Most of the chargers are in places that you'd actually want to stop at too it looks like.

It's looking like weekend road tripping in NC is gonna be a lot easier by the time most of us get our cars. Although, I find it curious that there's nothing in Wilmington or Cherokee/Bryson City yet. Those are my go to beach/mountain weekend trips.

I remember a couple of years ago wanting to drive my Leaf down to the Research Triangle area and learning I couldn't do it without resorting to a long L2 charging stop. Either the Mach E's range or more chargers would probably have solved that. Now it looks like I'll have both!

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag

Thanks for posting that. As a Wilmingtonian, I'm a bit disappointed, but I will be doing prob. 95% charging at home from the 240 outlet.

OP
OP
Thevanin

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I'm really surprised to see how little charging there is in Wilmington. That's one of our go-to weekend spots and the last time I checked options for charging were pretty limited.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
I'm really surprised to see how little charging there is in Wilmington. That's one of our go-to weekend spots and the last time I checked options for charging were pretty limited.
You want to hear something surprising? There are no EA sites near Myrtle Beach, SC, one of the biggest tourist destinations on the east coast. The closest one is 70 miles away in Florence. I'll be doing most of my charging at home, of course, but what about all the tourists?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have posted this before, but you should check out the WSJ story from 2020 about living with an EV. The Michigan Bolt EV driver and NC I-PACE drivers were hosed.

The crazy thing is just how fast the infrastructure has changed. The charger landscape in Michigan is vastly different today than a year ago.

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/sh...oad-test/E390D3C3-5437-4E64-B2F9-8AD8598DEE5A

OP
OP
Thevanin

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I think I remember watching that

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Yep. Since we are a travel destination for many, perhaps it will improve, sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Thevanin

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Looks like DCFC is coming to Wilmington! Doesn't show up on PlugShare yet.

https://theseahawk.org/31617/news/e...tations-coming-to-market-street-parking-deck/

On the evening of April 6, the Wilmington City Council approved the purchase of two direct current (DC) fast charge electric vehicle charging stations.

The resolution was passed unanimously, resulting in a purchase totaling $118,225.20 that includes the charging stations, as well as costs associated with shipping, installation and warranty. The City of Wilmington will be reimbursed for the costs of the charging stations as part of North Carolina’s share of the Volkswagen settlement, part of a 2015 tailpipe emissions scandal by the car company dubbed “dieselgate.”

The charging stations will be located on the ground floor Market Street parking deck in the heart of downtown and will be available for free use at the time of installation. There was discussion in the meeting as to how to produce revenue from electric vehicle charging in the future.

The DC fast charge charging stations are produced by ChargePoint, which claims to be the largest network of electric car charging stations in the world. These particular charging stations, the Express 250 model, are said to be able to completely charge an electric car in approximately an hour.

The city council also passed a resolution recently to become one of the first cities in the country to include an electric trash truck in their waste disposal fleet, which makes the addition of the electric vehicle charging stations part of a larger trend of sustainable infrastructure.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Looks like a pair of the 50-63 kW ChargePoint units.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Looks like a pair of the 50-63 kW ChargePoint units.
Kyle's explanation of why the MME can only get 52-54kW from the 62.5kW Chargepoint stations was both interesting and relevant. We'd like to see more of these CPE250s in the paired configuration to get 120kW+ but demand charges would kill it.

JayDoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey , BMW 320i
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

Just got text today that electrify America opened DCFC in Statesville NC which is nicely half way between Asheville and Raleigh. Perfect for my travels!

JayDoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey , BMW 320i
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

Also told we are getting DCFC at Pilot station at exit 24, Highway 40 near Waynesville.

OP
OP
Thevanin

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Oh man. The Statesville station coming online is going to be nice.

vjwilson

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vanwilson.info
Vehicles
BMW i3, BMW x1
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just got text today that electrify America opened DCFC in Statesville NC which is nicely half way between Asheville and Raleigh. Perfect for my travels!
I used that new Statesville station last Sunday to charge my wife's i3 on the way to a group hike at Stone Mountain (coming from Charlotte).

I couldn't get get either of the two units I tried to activate with the app, and I was in a little bit of a hurry so rather than call, I swiped my credit card and then it worked fine.
Sponsored