Loud clunk after starting car and trying to reverse

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Wondering if anyone has had this occur to them, don't remember seeing a thread. A couple of times now over the last few days I've started the car for the first drive of the day, put the car in reverse to back out of my garage, and it feels like the brakes are preventing the car from reversing, maybe the parking brake, for a second then I hear a loud clunk and the car finally starts reversing. I'm going to try to schedule a visit to the dealership to have them take a look but in the meant time figured I'd see if anyone on the board has experienced this issue. I've had the car since April, almost 4K miles and it has only happened recently.

Edited to add I don't engage the parking brake when I park in my garage.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After not driving it for awhile? Think it maybe the brakes. I have had it a couple of times but it does not both me as I have heard that sound on ice also.

OP
OP

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
After not driving it for awhile? Think it maybe the brakes. I have had it a couple of times but it does not both me as I have heard that sound on ice also.
The most I go between drives is around a day, definitely not more than 2 days

jaycake

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6 Carbon Mach-E Star White AWD Ext. range
Country flag
Wondering if anyone has had this occur to them, don't remember seeing a thread. A couple of times now over the last few days I've started the car for the first drive of the day, put the car in reverse to back out of my garage, and it feels like the brakes are preventing the car from reversing, maybe the parking brake, for a second then I hear a loud clunk and the car finally starts reversing. I'm going to try to schedule a visit to the dealership to have them take a look but in the meant time figured I'd see if anyone on the board has experienced this issue. I've had the car since April, almost 4K miles and it has only happened recently.

I heard the same thing today...I will say that I washed it last night so that seems like the culprit. and it only did it when I first started the errand run I made at least 4 more stops with no noise, so I put it on the car washing.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The most I go between drives is around a day, definitely not more than 2 days
Not sure your exact clunk but as long as the brakes are not sticking on and it drives fine I do not think it is too much to worry about. If it is clunking down the road or the brakes are squealing that is a different story. As noted it has clunked into gear after sitting and starting to move in reverse for me a couple of times but it does not sound like it is hurting anything. In fact I have felt/heard it before in other vehicles. Hard to respond and be sure as the exact clunk you are talking about as I am not there to hear or experience it.

OP
OP

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I heard the same thing today...I will say that I washed it last night so that seems like the culprit. and it only did it when I first started the errand run I made at least 4 more stops with no noise, so I put it on the car washing.
It has been raining here over the last week so I guess the water plays a part.

cmbfod

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE RR AWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have had the same with my RR FE and ICE vehicle. Has only occurred at first drive after washing car the previous day.

OP
OP

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Not sure your exact clunk but as long as the brakes are not sticking on and it drives fine I do not think it is too much to worry about. If it is clunking down the road or the brakes are squealing that is a different story. As noted it has clunked into gear after sitting and starting to move in reverse for me a couple of times but it does not sound like it is hurting anything. In fact I have felt/heard it before in other vehicles. Hard to respond and be sure as the exact clunk you are talking about as I am not there to hear or experience it.
Yeah once I get going there aren't any issues, it's just the first reverse of the day. Thanks for the feedback.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Make absolutely sure you've "bedded" your brakes. I was experiencing similar issues at nearly 5k miles and this was the only solution.

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
I noticed this happen once and it was because the car had auto set the parking brake on a hill and I didn't manually turn it off. When I pressed the gas there was a slight clunk and I just assumed it was the parking brake disengaging

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
I got this today first time. Sounded like a loud clunk, almost backing over something or the front brakes being locked.

Always release the e-Brake, so odd it showed up at the same time as yours. Never has before.

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag

Did you wash the car just before putting it in the garage? There's another thread on this forum that describes brake pad delamination after putting the car away wet. That seems to be the extreme, but I (and others) have experienced this same thing that you describe. Apparently, the clearances on the front brakes are really tight, and the pads stick to the rotors when put away wet. In my case, the parking brake was NOT engaged, and the clunk was so loud that my wife thought I had hit something!

OP
OP

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Did you wash the car just before putting it in the garage? There's another thread on this forum that describes brake pad delamination after putting the car away wet. That seems to be the extreme, but I (and others) have experienced this same thing that you describe. Apparently, the clearances on the front brakes are really tight, and the pads stick to the rotors when put away wet. In my case, the parking brake was NOT engaged, and the clunk was so loud that my wife thought I had hit something!
Yeah this was mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't wash the car but it has been raining alot the last week here, the most since I have owned the car so I suspect that is the case. I can't say for sure (100%) that the parking brake wasn't engaged but I'm pretty confident I would have noticed the dash alert when I started the car.

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I have had this happen a few times. The first time, I really had to press on the accelerator an uncomfortable amount to get it to "unstick". Seems to happen after sitting for a while. Put away wet may play a part as well.

Once is unstuck, no issues.
Sponsored