Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e premium IBM
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So apparently the legislation decided that since ev owners were not using the gas pumps and they were not getting the taxes from them, that they would tax ev owners that live in La $110 a year to make up for it. I know $110 dollars is not that much per year but its the principle that bothers me. Instead of taxing ev owners how about add more chargers and tax those.

Has any other state done this or is this the first?
Sponsored

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
Not the first and not the last.

Roads require maintenance. Maintenance requires money.

The only question in my mind is how to equitably spread that cost. (Road wear factors :Miles driven/vehicle weight/energy units consumed , ect.)

A tax applied at a DC Fast Charger (I assume that is what you mean by 'chargers') will miss the population charging at home.

Louisiana state gas tax is 20 cents/gal. $110 is the tax on 550 gallons of gas. The average mileage per year in Louisiana is 14,951. Your $110 equates to the tax burden of the average Louisianan who gets 27 MPG.

OP
OP
TigerEye104

TigerEye104

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e premium IBM
Occupation
IT
Country flag

The only question in my mind is how to equitably spread that cost. (Road wear factors :Miles driven/vehicle weight/energy units consumed , ect.)

A tax applied at a DC Fast Charger (I assume that is what you mean by 'chargers') will miss the population charging at home.

Louisiana state gas tax is 20 cents/gal. $110 is the tax on 550 gallons of gas. The average mileage per year in Louisiana is 14,951. Your $110 equates to the tax burden of the average Louisianan who gets 27 MPG.

If I believed they used the money for the roads that would not be a problem. Louisiana has some of the worst roads I have ever driven on. Some of the potholes could literally take off a wheel.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
If I believed they used the money for the roads that would not be a problem. Louisiana has some of the worst roads I have ever driven on. Some of the potholes could literally take off a wheel.
I would say hold them accountable at the polls, but Louisiana. ;)

Last edited:

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
Idaho is $140 but I think that is going to increase soon. The way I drive my GT I'm definitely contributing to some road wear so I feel its a bargain.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
WA also charges more annually as well, kind of annoying as it eats into the $ benefit of dropping gas, but far from a deal breaker.

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
Virginia's is $109/year

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
No EV tax here in California. Yet. I'm sure there will be. But since I pay 12.3% income tax to the state and they've proposed taxing my solar panels, I hope they hold off as long as possible. Maybe until after I retire.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Me three.

It makes sense, as an EV owner I am not buying gas and paying gas taxes, I should pay something though since I am using the roads that gas taxes fund.

What doesn't make sense in Georgia is that all alternative fuel vehicles don't pay the tax. Vehicles powered by CNG, LNG and LPG are exempt from the tax. Why? Those vehicles use the roads as well.