Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium SR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Louisiana owners -

Did you have to get a safety inspection tag?

My dealership is telling me I don't need one, so they didn't give me one. I don't believe them since it's not an emissions inspection, why would EVs be excluded?

Can't find anything online that says EVs are excluded from the safety inspection.

(My parish does not require an emissions inspection so that's not an issue either way.)

Thanks!
Sponsored

jgcom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
I moved to Louisiana 22 years ago, generally like it here, and have developed a sense of humor about the Louisiana way of life. Still, from time to time I wonder why we have to be so contrary.

Some people will only call the sticker a "brake tag" and claim to not know what an "inspection sticker" is. Others do the opposite. All seem to enjoy this game.

Practices related to—I have to pick sides—the inspection sticker are divided among various entities: the La. Office of Motor Vehicles, the Louisiana State Police, the Dep't of Environmental Quality, and of course the various parishes that are affected by the smog test. (The "smog test" doesn't exist anymore, since they use OBD-II.) Today I learned that New Orleans, Kenner and Westwego don't even use the State system; they have their own.

The Louisiana State Police seems to regulate the State Inspections. Its summary of the inspection itself is here. There is no mention (or exclusion) of diesels or EVs.

This page describes the DEQ's program.

The actual State regulations that cover the inspections are here, in chapters 7, 8 and perhaps other places. There is no evidence that these have been amended to contend with the EV era.

Some years ago I owned a diesel car in Louisiana, and I did have to get inspection stickers for it, but the cost was only $10 because it was exempt from the OBD check.

So my guess would be that we do need safety inspections and stickers. But when I took delivery on the Mach-E, no sticker was on the windshield. I am reluctant to be the first Mach-E driver to show up at the inspection station but will probably do so soon.

OP
OP
EVFUTURE

EVFUTURE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium SR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I moved to Louisiana 22 years ago, generally like it here, and have developed a sense of humor about the Louisiana way of life. Still, from time to time I wonder why we have to be so contrary.

Some people will only call the sticker a "brake tag" and claim to not know what an "inspection sticker" is. Others do the opposite. All seem to enjoy this game.

Practices related to—I have to pick sides—the inspection sticker are divided among various entities: the La. Office of Motor Vehicles, the Louisiana State Police, the Dep't of Environmental Quality, and of course the various parishes that are affected by the smog test. (The "smog test" doesn't exist anymore, since they use OBD-II.) Today I learned that New Orleans, Kenner and Westwego don't even use the State system; they have their own.

The Louisiana State Police seems to regulate the State Inspections. Its summary of the inspection itself is here. There is no mention (or exclusion) of diesels or EVs.

This page describes the DEQ's program.

The actual State regulations that cover the inspections are here, in chapters 7, 8 and perhaps other places. There is no evidence that these have been amended to contend with the EV era.

Some years ago I owned a diesel car in Louisiana, and I did have to get inspection stickers for it, but the cost was only $10 because it was exempt from the OBD check.

So my guess would be that we do need safety inspections and stickers. But when I took delivery on the Mach-E, no sticker was on the windshield. I am reluctant to be the first Mach-E driver to show up at the inspection station but will probably do so soon.

Thank you! I found myself on all of those websites as well and (not surprisingly) found little mention of "green"/EV rules. Tried googling variations of "brake tag EV/electric car Louisiana" and browsed the Tesla forums with no luck.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you've gotten by for however long without the sticker, I'll be fine without it. It will stay registered in Louisiana for the duration of ownership but will "live" elsewhere. Driving it out of state next week and it won't be back for a while *shrug*
Sponsored