Wedway88

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e select
Country flag
Anyone notice their car “humming”? Recently noticed the car will have an electric hum only between the speeds of 1-20mph? Car did not originally do this.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
You sure it's not the external sound meant to warn pedestrians at those speeds?
Yup, this. Hybrids and BEVs have some kind of sound (all different) that play from an external speaker when you're about 0-17 mph. Something like that.

Tsoltan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet Volt
Occupation
IT Analyst
Country flag
I totally get the safety feature of this. Is there a way to disable it when you're, say, going through an Arboretum with the windows down trying to enjoy nature in peace and quite? There's got to be a way to code an intelligent disable feature for stuff like this. I'd rather drive an ICE car through the Morton Arboretum in Illinois than a BEV that's louder at those speeds.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yup, this. Hybrids and BEVs have some kind of sound (all different) that play from an external speaker when you're about 0-17 mph. Something like that.
I still think we should be able to pick our pedestrian alert sound in the setting menu. Sell us an add-on sound pack. No really. I want the Jetson's car sound. That'd be cool.
I totally get the safety feature of this. Is there a way to disable it when you're, say, going through an Arboretum with the windows down trying to enjoy nature in peace and quite? There's got to be a way to code an intelligent disable feature for stuff like this. I'd rather drive an ICE car through the Morton Arboretum in Illinois than a BEV that's louder at those speeds.
Well, it's a Federally mandated sound. It's actually been the law for a long, long time but has been quite slow to be implemented, so no way to get rid of it via design. This is not to say it can't be permanently eliminated by an owner after the fact. There are threads "here," "somewhere" on such a thing.
Anyone notice their car “humming”? Recently noticed the car will have an electric hum only between the speeds of 1-20mph? Car did not originally do this.
Make sure the humming you're hearing does not come from the instrument cluster screen forward of the steering wheel. There are several very long threads about that hum here on the forums as well. Then there's the somewhat natural hum of the motors anyway that may be more noticeable to someone who is not a retired airline pilot who flew airplanes for over 40 years.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I still think we should be able to pick our pedestrian alert sound in the setting menu. Sell us an add-on sound pack. No really. I want the Jetson's car sound. That'd be cool.
<snip>
I’d love to be able to put a recording of my big Pontiac into it. Rumpity-rumpity!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
sorry, that was me. I was in a good mood and humming as a result.

OP
OP
Wedway88

Wedway88

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e select
Country flag
Sorry this is late….could be going crazy at this point ? seems to be louder on wet humid days….or like I said I’m crazy. Seems to peak at 16mph

Attachments

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Sorry this is late….could be going crazy at this point ? seems to be louder on wet humid days….or like I said I’m crazy. Seems to peak at 16mph
has anyone been able to play this .mov file? I'm being told I need to download a new CODEC to play it

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I played the video on my iPhone. Sounds like instrument panel buzz to me. Very annoying. Luckily, my MME does not have this issue (sorry, not trying to rub it in).
Admittedly, it’s hard to tell where it’s coming from in the video. So it might not be the buzz from the display but it also didn’t seem to disappear at 20 moh either.
Sponsored