John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Watched the reveal. Not really a MME competitor, but pretty impressive. Low end will be $80K. Dream Edition $169K. That extra $1,600 for the FE looking better all the time.
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I skipped through the recording and it looked good. Saw several slams against Tesla through the whole thing, like when they talk about the mechanical controls and show someone opening the door...

Poor Tesla.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The Lucid Air is a brilliant showcase of EV technology. It makes me wonder, is Lucid's EV technology a generation ahead of Ford, Tesla and others?

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The Lucid Air is a brilliant showcase of EV technology. It makes me wonder, is Lucid's EV technology a generation ahead of Ford, Tesla and others?
Sandy Munro said Tesla is a decade ahead of the rest of the pack - so where is Lucid?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Sandy Munro said Tesla is a decade ahead of the rest of the pack - so where is Lucid?
Tesla is certainly ahead with their efficiency but I struggle to see how Tesla is 10 years ahead of Ford, VW AG and others. Lucid seems like they're next level. Guess we'll find out more about Tesla on September 22.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Honestly, no one is any significant amount ahead of any others. New ev companies are popping up quicker than rabbits and legacy manufacturers are able to go from basically nothing to comparable products in under a year.

Don't forget, Dyson, the fancy vacuum company, was in track to make an EV until they backed out because it was too easy for new competitors to enter the market.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Nice steering wheel. Anyway, you can get 3 fully loaded ME's for the price of one loaded Lucid. Kind of ridiculous.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla is certainly ahead with their efficiency but I struggle to see how Tesla is 10 years ahead of Ford, VW AG and others. Lucid seems like they're next level. Guess we'll find out more about Tesla on September 22.
And it seems like most of Tesla's efficiency advantage can be traced to one thing: aerodynamics. Their boring, curved slope body designs reduce drag. They also tend to reduce some weight with lighter materials, less wiring, etc.

Much is said of their technology advantage, but that's mostly mechanical stuff. And rather easily replicated by others, should they choose to do so. But it ruins the looks for many people. The Mach-e may not be quite as efficient, but it's a cooler design.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
What intrigues me about Lucid is their 500+ hp motor that weighs 164lbs and has a cooling system that uses the space between the copper coiling. Or their compact DC to DC booster that does double duty to enable V2X.

It all sounds like black magic wizardry to me.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I chuckle every time they say "Wunderbox" - but the range and the ability to supply power is really intriguing.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I believe Lucid is the company providing the motors and batteries for the Formula-E for the last couple of years. That is a good proving and development ground.
Sponsored